Author Topic: Ideas for starting to target chord tones in lead guitar (Triads)  (Read 7472 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Ideas for starting to target chord tones in lead guitar (Triads)
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 01:22:25 pm »
For anybody wanting to incorporate more than just the four triads shown up to now, here are neck diagrams of six triads on the G, B and E strings for the I, ii, iii, IV, V and vi chords from a harmonised major scale.

here

A matching group of six triads on the D, G and B strings for the I, ii, iii, IV, V and vi chords from a harmonised major scale.

here

NOTE

These are in no set key so can be used generically. Therefore the neck diagram contains no fret marker dots or numbers.

Find the root of the I triad and that is your key (for Major keys) or the vi triad and that is your key (for the parallel minor key).

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 08:12:03 pm »
If you're finding this all a little too daunting, if you're wanting to take it to an even more basic, simple concept to start learning initially, then maybe try these options.

1] Create a loop or find a backing track vamp of just one chord and focus on that single triad to create lead lines. Play it in different spots on the neck. Incorporate notes from the parent scale.

2] Similar to above but using two chords, the I chord and one other from the main six of the harmonised major scale.

3] When playing several triads over a backing track with more than two chords, stick to just one triad shape at a time (with a small alteration in the shape for the b3 of a minor). Be prepared to slide up and down the neck a fair bit but the pay off is that you will embed the triad shape very quickly.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 08:30:28 pm »
Other ideas …

If you want to explore the triad shapes alongside a particular CAGED shape for a major scale then you may find the following neck diagrams useful.

Again, you could keep it simple, using and focussing on just the I chord - playing the triad over a one chord vamp and mixing it up with some general improvised lead lines and phrases from the sale itself. Then try a similar approach with a two-chord backing track, the I and the ii, or the I and the V … there are many combinations. Increase the number of chords that you have in your backing tracks. Revisit the I, V, vi IV 4-chord progressions posted earlier (and similar 4-chord backing tracks).

This contrasts with the previous ideas from learning and incorporating the triads shapes to your lead playing.
Previously the shifts were very much laterally along the neck to different fret positions.
Now the playing will all be within a 5-7 fret span and the playing will be horizontally on the fretboard.

E-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on GBE strings

E-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on DGB strings

D-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on GBE strings

D-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on DGB strings

C-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on GBE strings

C-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on DGB strings

A-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on GBE strings

A-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on DGB strings

G-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on GBE strings

G-Shape Major Scale Shape and 6 Triads on DGB strings

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 08:59:06 pm »
Thanks for all this Richard

Something for me to come back to down the line ...

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 08:33:21 am »
Richard

You've done a great job expanding from the original post and think its really going to help a lot folk in their lead playing/soloing/improvising. With all the extra material and triads you added, I think I am now going to reorganise the folder I initially started and then take the diagrams and absorb them one by one, as I continue with Blues Leads 1. I'll then come back to this, while consolidating BL1 and the associated licks, while adding this to my schedule. Looking forward to see how this helps me develop.

I think you deserve another good vibes for the extra work you've done and one for the time it will have taken you to produce the diagrams and post material.

Huge Thx

Toby
 8)         I'll be back in an hour to add GV2 !!
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 10:34:31 pm »
I'm in the middle of writing a new thread to post in this section and thought I'd look up this old thread ... wow ... it is just year a year old.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App