Author Topic: My tip for beginners to measure progress!  (Read 686 times)

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
My tip for beginners to measure progress!
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:00:29 am »
I was feeling a bit frustrated and at my perceived lack of progress. I'm on stage 4 and was in the middle of the finger stretching exercise.

For a laugh I swapped my guitar around and up-side-down to righty (I'm a left handed guitar player).

1. First of all, notice how weird and foreign it feels... Pretty much how it felt when you very first picked up your guitar!

2. Attempt the finger stretching exercise... My fingers would not stretch at all... I couldn't even get my second finger to the edge of the fret!

3. Try making a E, D or C shape might hurt your brain a bit but takes me back to first learning chord shapes . My fingers couldn't stretch here either.

4. Have a strum (I know it's upside down) but seriously how weird and foreign does it feel?

5. Turn your guitar around and feel the smugness hit when you realise how far you've actually come and what YOU can do!

I was amazed at how much strength, stretch and flexibility I have in my fretting hand!

At how natural it feels to hold my guitar, and to strum without thinking. How I can read chord diagrams and make chord shapes.

Turning my guitar around for a moment took me back to that moment when I first picked up my guitar and started these lessons.

Still got a long way to go, but I've come so far from where I started

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
  • What was I doing?
Re: My tip for beginners to measure progress!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 12:24:06 pm »
Funny you saying that, even the experts don’t find it easy 🤣🤣🤣

Yes it’s a great idea but I still think the real best way is to keep a video record of your progress, especially if you post on here for critique - which you are doing! Keep it up, you’re doing really well!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 16
Re: My tip for beginners to measure progress!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 09:10:15 pm »
Haha!

Yes definitely worth putting up videos etc

This was an idea just for a giggle really.... I was actually really surprised by how flexible my fret hand had come.

Swapping round for 30 seconds showed me how far ive come from the start line.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App