Author Topic: Starting to play - Should I wait or upgrade guitar  (Read 541 times)

Offline jlc9779

• Good Vibes 0
Starting to play - Should I wait or upgrade guitar
« on: February 22, 2019, 11:27:35 am »
Just starting to play guitar again and doing the beginners course. I played some classical guitar at school but that was 35 years ago and I have forgotten it all and wanting to play chords and rock/pop music more.
I am presently using my 35 years old classical guitar with nylon strings it is a guittaras grenada model 100. I am not sure the quality but there is peeling on the laminate body and it needs new strings and constantly needs retuning.(I think its a cheapish model 35 years old). Bit reluctant to keep ploughing money into if its rubbish.
Just interest in what to do:
1) Buy new nylon strings and stick with the classical guitar for 6 months
2) Buy something like a steel acoustic Yamaha f310 for approx. £110 and see how I go with that
3) Assume I am going to enjoy it and buy something like a Yamaha fg830 for £330 which will be probably as good as I will ever need.

Any advice or help would be really appreciated.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Starting to play - Should I wait or upgrade guitar
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:43:02 am »
Hi welcome to the forum.
So glad you've come back to guitar after so many years.
My advice is buy a modest priced 2nd hand acoustic for about £100+
If you hate guitar and stop playing then you'll sell it at very little loss.
If you love it you'll sell it at very little loss and be able to upgrade.

Online OpsRes

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:08 pm »
Hey JLC and welcome.
From the sounds of it I would go with replacing the old classical guitar. If it is constantly going out of tune then what you are playing will not sound right. In my opinion you need to learn how the chords are supposed to sound and an out of tune guitar will hinder that.
Like you I played some classical guitar way back when and I still have that guitar. My is in good shape and is still very playable. Every once in a while I pull it out and play some of the songs from Justin's songbook. What I find when I do that is that it takes a while to adjust my left hand to the string spacing. So unless the song is pretty straight forward, say A-D-E chords, I have to go at a slower pace.
As for what to buy, get what you can comfortably afford. Too low a price and it might not be very playable. Too high a price and you may come to regret the purchase if you don't continue (although I hope you do).

Finally, the group here is awesome and very helpful. Don't be afraid to engage with them.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:53:15 pm »
Hi welcome to the forum.
So glad you've come back to guitar after so many years.
My advice is buy a modest priced 2nd hand acoustic for about £100+
If you hate guitar and stop playing then you'll sell it at very little loss.
If you love it you'll sell it at very little loss and be able to upgrade.

What Close said.

Learning guitar can be difficult enough without hampering yourself with a POS instrument that sooner or later you won't want to pick up and play.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline jlc9779

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 08:59:16 pm »
Thanks for all your replies so far. Been looking for a 2nd hand one over the weekend but not seen anything good yet. Went into 3 shops today and a little bewildered by all the choice to be honest. Each shop suggested different guitars and to be honest I was struggling to notice a whole lot of difference. The shop which I was most impressed with suggest a sigma omt-28H+
He suggest this as the nut width is slightly larger than others for my finger size. Others shops suggested a yamaha fs830 but this i see has a slimmer nut width of 43mm. So i am totally confused. Another shop mainly recommended Faith guitars. So not sure which way to go now.

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 09:57:29 pm »
I think your initial idea of the Yamaha F310 is a good one. It was my first guitar and, apart from a fairly high action (which can be fixed), I think it is a good beginner guitar.

I would wait a while before you splash out on something more expensive. Once you have been learning for a while, you will have a much better idea of what you want from your 2nd guitar, and it may not be the FG380.

Good luck!
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline Elephantstone76

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 09:26:08 pm »
I was in the same boat, had an old classical guitar from school days.  I ended up with a Fender Fa125 which was a great guitar after I had it set up properly.  Cost me £92 new then the set up so relatively inexpensive as such.

Just upgraded it there for a Yamaha A3M but only becuase one of the online shops had it at just over 100 more than the FG380

Get The Forum As A Mobile App