Author Topic: Mad World- cover  (Read 1090 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
Mad World- cover
« on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:23 pm »
I haven’t been on the forum much for the last couple of months as my younger brother in Germany had a heart attack in November and we buried him in France in December. (No need for an avalanche of condolences, folks- I'll assume you've expressed them already ;))
Messing on the guitar and the Christmas competition provided some very welcome distraction during an emotional time  :)

With the unexpected and extremely generous gift of a Skype lesson from Justin approaching, I thought I’d better pull the finger out and get practising, so as not to be too embarrassing on the big day!
I dipped my toe into some fingerstyle and have started on barre chords, but put them aside as I felt it was time to learn another song.

I loved this original by Tears for Fears when it came out in ’82. As a post-punk New Wave enthusiast, I thought this was the dogs proverbials. Videos were only becoming a ‘thing’ and I thought Roland threw the coolest shapes in history  8)

My version includes the inevitable hiccups I get with one-take recordings (but I no longer apologise)

Of note:
Sartorially, I am still in the old dressing gown my dear mum made me in ‘84  :)
The strumming pattern (which I found a bit tricky to match up with the vocals) is what Justin called ‘old faithful’
He mentioned ‘forcing the A’ in the video. I didn’t check what that means, but presume it’s what I tried to do in the ‘Mad World’ bit of the chorus?
Breathing during the chorus is tricky, especially if you speed up as the song goes along!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Mad World- cover
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 01:43:36 pm »
Hey there, Brian, glad to hear from you.

Sorry to hear of your loss and can imagine how emotionally tough it's been.

On your song ... you've done a good job.  It's been a while but I think your strumming was smoother, steadier showing improvement.  Chords and changes also pretty clean and smooth.  And a confident performance as usual.

As for your Skype lesson ... I was thrilled to see you get one.  Was a great experience for me.

All I can say is be relaxed and chilled.  Justin will meet you where you are and wherever that is, is fine.  I am sure you will take away things from the session that help you move forward.

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:59:59 pm »
Condolences amigo.

Whenever I watch one of your videos I'm always greeted with a performance and this was no different. It's entertaining watching you perform and I find that swallows up any hiccups that flash up along the way.

I may just have to watch this again muted just so I can try and fully absorb the majesty of that dressing gown! 35 years and counting... Your mum sure knows how to make something that lasts!
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 5

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:02:13 pm »
Bonkers indeed!

I loved it, and have always loved the song - "the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had" is one  of those lines that's been in my head ever since I first heard it.

I like the simple strumming and the general laid back low key sitting in your dressing gown performance really works very well for this.

It's a song on my own practice list, although I use capo on 2. You've given me something to aim for.

I still have a pullover my mum knitted for me although I'm not allowed out in it as it is a bit shabby now. Mum died in 1995, so probably not quite as old as you dressing gown.

So, good vibes from me.

Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:44:54 pm »
@ David
Ha! First off the mark, as usual
Thank you  :)
Yes, I am really looking forward to it.
I was at a party last weekend, chatting to someone about learning the guitar on the internet and he said I should check out this guy called Justin- that he was really good!
You should have seen his face when I mentioned I was having a skype session with him  ;D

@Pilgrim:
Ah... in another life I might have written a song called 'Let me entertain you'  :P
She made FOUR! (for all my brothers); a necessity during the pre-central heating Dublin college days.
(Don't let the missus catch you watching muted vids of old men in dressing gowns. All explanations will sound lame)

@ MrBumble
Thanks for the listen, comment and vibes.
Yes, I loved that line too; but was always disappointed in 'when people run in circles'- could have done better there  ;)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49:21 pm »
My sympathies Brian that's really sad to hear.

Other the other hand this submission was fantastic to hear. I think you've made a huge improvement, Justin will be impressed with you on your lesson. Maybe ditch the dressing gown for that though.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:02:27 pm »
Hi Brian, many condolences to you and your family.
I'm so glad that you have found the impetus and reason to focus once again on your music and have served up this laid-back rendition.
Before your skype session I would definitely recommend reading the skype sessions thread and note the advice that folk in your upcoming position pass on.
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42493.0

May the road rise to meet you!

:)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:26 pm »
Although what you say is fair enough, in the virtual world that we live in there are only a few ways in which we can express our feelings and emotions. So my heartfelt condolences to you Brian.
You did great on the song! I don’t really get what you said about the A being forced? Also I notice a lot of hair missing from your face!

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:32:59 pm »
Ta Richard & Bala  :)

Before your skype session I would definitely recommend reading the skype sessions thread and note the advice that folk in your upcoming position pass on.
May the road rise to meet you!
Indeed I've already read that thread with keen interest and have taken what you said on board.
I will share my own 'modest' experience when the time comes  ;)

I don’t really get what you said about the A being forced? Also I notice a lot of hair missing from your face!
I just had another look at the lesson. At about 8.40 he talks about 'pushing the A chord', i.e. changing chords on the up-strum before the 1 beat. (look carefully and you'll see me do it in the chorus)

I wouldn't worry too much about it though, Bala- He said that's intermediate stage stuff.
You'll come across it later when you move past the BC stage  :P

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 10:41:27 pm »
Hey Brian :) Nice to see you again!
What a comeback, well done :)

My version includes the inevitable hiccups I get with one-take recordings (but I no longer apologise)
That's the spirit :)

I will share my own 'modest' experience when the time comes  ;)
I'm looking forward to it! I'm sure you'll have great time :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 433
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 07:00:04 am »
.... At about 8.40 he talks about 'pushing the A chord', i.e. changing chords on the up-strum before the 1 beat. (look carefully and you'll see me do it in the chorus)

Yup - that is a pushed chord.
Change on the + after the 4, before the 1.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 08:26:30 am »
Well done Brian, your talent is definitely growing!
I really like this song and remember it very well, they were not one of my favourite bands but this song did stick with me, you did it justice, keep them coming!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 47
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 06:11:07 pm »
@ Max
Vielen Dank- hab' mit Freude Dein 'Road Trip' gelesen  :)

@ Richard
Believe me... I push more than chords  ;)

@ Darrell
Cheers mate! 

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 06:32:20 pm »
Brian, A really nice job on this one.  I can tell by the way you're playing and singing that you feel pretty comfortable with this one.   You're showing a lot of confidence and growth.  A pleasurable listen, for sure.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 02:03:37 am »
Unlike Samson, shaving off all your hair hasn't dimmed your strength or shine Brian. Power to you friend.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App