Author Topic: Am I having too much fun playing songs?  (Read 712 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Am I having too much fun playing songs?
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:29 pm »
Hi Guys
I’m currently having so much fun playing and learning songs from Justin’s various songbooks, that I don’t have time to stick to my lesson programme! I suddenly have a load of chords and strumming patterns that I can do and I want to use this new ability. Will I get stuck and not progress? I was following the BC religiously but have drifted off it at the moment. Is this a mistake?
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard : Boss Katana 50.
Played for 4 years 1968-1972. Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop. Then life got in the way!
BC Feb 2018 - Apr 2019. Now consolidating!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Am I having too much fun playing songs?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 10:21:45 pm »
My opinion ...

Nothing to worry about.  You are consolidating by learning songs, putting what you have learned into practice.  And in due course, I expect will focus again on next steps in the BC.

At least that is how it has been for me over the last couple of years.  And I am not measuring and stressing about how quickly I am completing courses.

Offline jbdynamite

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:55:28 pm »
Same here. I learned the chords, but skipped the one minute change drills. I increased the chord transitions by playing a song from the stage. Has been going good so far. There are some things that come later on that will require practice, instead of playing songs (like scales), but don't  worry about it until you reach that stage.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:31 pm »
The whole point of the BC is to learn songs. So what you're doing is great.
Having fun is also the point.
To many people clain to have finished the BC and can't play any of few songs.
I do not see the point in learning things and not being able to use what you've
learnt.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:15:40 am »
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.

A perfect place for my time honoured mantra.

And if none of the songs are causing you issues (rhythm and timing, changes too slow, chords  not ringing out properly) then don't sweat it and enjoy the fun.

Move on and learn from the next stages when you're ready.
And your overall musical skills and sensibility will be enhanced for having learned songs.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 09:38:35 am »
This is me right now I'm stage 4 and know if I just stuck with the program I'd probably be on stage 5.

But tonight I'm tired after work, a school parent evening, getting school lunch ready, dinner etc that for me tonight anymore structure wasn't going to cut it.

I couldn't face getting my check list out so instead playing a few songs to get a bit of easy play in.

If you are noticing that you are improving, then you're doin' it right

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 12:21:00 pm »
Playing songs is what it's all about.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:16:44 pm »
That's my issue too. I consolidated the BC quite some time ago and my unofficial New Year's resolution was to buckle down and go at the Intermediate Course. But I'm having way too much fun just playing songs.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 03:22:13 pm »

Hi Guys
Thank you all so much for your replies! Very supportive. Part of it is that in life - school, college, uni, work etc. we are conditioned to 'deadlines' and 'finals'. I know it's been said many times on this forum that we all learn at different rates and therefore there can be no answer to 'how long to complete the BC' for example. There is no final exam and progress is self monitored.
Don't worry, I haven't lost sight of the fact this is all meant to be fun and I'm certainly having fun, but we all want to feel we're 'keeping up' I suppose. I'm retired so have more spare time than many others, but the principle still holds. (Although I doubt I'll ever be able to say I've been playing for 30 years! Maybe a harp?).
I'm going to practice my pentatonic scales in between every song!! ;D

Played for 4 years 1968-1972. Framus 5/50 Calypso Archtop. Then life got in the way!

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »
Hi Guys
I’ve decided to jump into BC stage 8 and give fingerpicking a go. That way I can play songs and be practising something from the BC at the same time! I’m determined not to let my schedule slip!

Offline misterlutherman1

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 01:49:09 pm »
Its amazing you are having so much fun with playing! That's the main aim of playing music, in my opinion. And in life! Am I right or what ;)

For real though, if you're enjoying yourself, ride it out. You will eventually reach a point where you feel the need to progress further in the lessons, and your natural curiosity will take you there. There is no need to rush things or do things a certain way; each of us grows in our own unique way.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 02:56:16 pm »
Having been a victim of not learning songs when I started playing and concentrating on the technique and technical side of things (because my singing is dire) I have to say prioritise learning songs, unless you want to just do instrumentals (which gets to be boring) it’s by far the biggest reason for learning to play.
When you’re competent with playing for songs then you can learn the instrumentals, the learning songs is your foundation for anything you can do with your playing so just go for it!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline plywood

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 03:48:37 pm »
Having been a victim of not learning songs when I started playing and concentrating on the technique and technical side of things (because my singing is dire) I have to say prioritise learning songs, unless you want to just do instrumentals (which gets to be boring) it’s by far the biggest reason for learning to play.
When you’re competent with playing for songs then you can learn the instrumentals, the learning songs is your foundation for anything you can do with your playing so just go for it!

Do you sing now? I really envy people who can. I just can't get make the leap. I feel too self-conscious to sing :-[ because I've got a constant audience of my family hanging around, and I dunno if it's something I'd want to hear anyway. Kinda, maybe. It'd feel very weird though. Then there's the actual technical difficulty of doing it, which is another massive hurdle. I love playing along to songs though, even though it isn't really the same.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 05:15:28 pm »
Do you sing now? I really envy people who can. I just can't get make the leap. I feel too self-conscious to sing :-[ because I've got a constant audience of my family hanging around, and I dunno if it's something I'd want to hear anyway. Kinda, maybe. It'd feel very weird though. Then there's the actual technical difficulty of doing it, which is another massive hurdle. I love playing along to songs though, even though it isn't really the same.
Nope, only when I’ve had too much of the laughing water or occasionally in the bath or shower 🤣🤣🤣
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 151
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 08:40:59 pm »
read your own post.

you're having fun.
you're playing songs.

my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Get The Forum As A Mobile App