Author Topic: 2019 Cover #6 (Runaway Train)  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #6 (Runaway Train)
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:26:24 pm »
This weeks cover is another fantastic song from the 90's.

I am not to happy with the playing, some troubles with the pick moving around and the strumming is just not as good as I think it should be. Some strums I miss completely while others are just too harsh. Also the G-C change and some other changes are pretty bad. On the C i often hit the low E string. I am not too disappointed though, with some more practice I think I can improve.

I try to sing in the original key. I am sick (fever) and maybe the fever made my voice more "raspy" which isn't necessary a bad thing.

https://youtu.be/QhvqvVzXR9M
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
Re: 2019 Cover #6 (Runaway Train)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 07:46:51 pm »
Wow blast from the past I had this album and I loved this song. Still do really.

I thought the singing was pretty good. In that it felt committed. You jumped octaves once I or i only noticed once. Doesn't really matter though you did the job.

You mention a few bits you're not happy with maybe it's because you're a bit ill. On the c chord I think I probably hit the low e quite a bit but its muted with either or both my ring finger or thumb. If you're not doing that then maybe give it a whirl.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 10:17:03 pm »
Johan,

I enjoyed this.  Not familiar with the original.  I think you are developing your singing ability while consolidating the playing.

One or two stumbles but not enough to get seriously bummed out about the performance.  After all we are very much learners, rather than pro musicians.

Well done on sticking to your commitment and delivering #6

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 07:55:57 am »
Thans Gareth and David for listening. Well maybe the illness had some negative effect on the performance, I was very tired after I did this one.

The tempo is also a bit faster than the original, but it works ok in this tempo as well.

Gareth: Yeah a great song. As you say I need to mute the low e-string. I have tried it but I need to work more with that. The octave jump is not intentional and I can't hear myself when I did it... But if it works I guess its not a big problem. Long time since we heard anything from you, time to post a song soon!
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline PilgrimPod

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:52 am »
Live Forever and now this! It's like you've read my mind and taken it upon yourself to play all of my favourite songs. :D

Any mistakes you believe you may have made were lost on me. I just enjoyed listening to you entertaining me with a song I'm very fond of.

Looking forward to #7!
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 8

Online brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:37:34 pm »
That's dedication for you- in sickness and in health! ;)
Love the song and you did it justice :)
I will put it in my 'to do' list

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 01:45:06 pm »
Thans Gareth and David for listening. Well maybe the illness had some negative effect on the performance, I was very tired after I did this one.

The tempo is also a bit faster than the original, but it works ok in this tempo as well.

Gareth: Yeah a great song. As you say I need to mute the low e-string. I have tried it but I need to work more with that. The octave jump is not intentional and I can't hear myself when I did it... But if it works I guess its not a big problem. Long time since we heard anything from you, time to post a song soon!
You're right I haven't learnt many/any new songs for quote a while and I almost never learn them right the way through mainly because I struggle to learn the words. I will get something posted soon though.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:42:26 pm »
You're right I haven't learnt many/any new songs for quote a while and I almost never learn them right the way through mainly because I struggle to learn the words. I will get something posted soon though.

I have used a lyric sheet for all but one or two of the songs I've recorded.  And when I played live that one time for an audience I did the same.  Not one person came up to me afterwards and said that it was a pity I didn't know all the lyrics from memory.  Even when I know the lyrics I find having the sheet in front of me reduces performance anxiety ... no fear of forgetting the lyrics ... can still get lost and mess up a take, but no forgetting :) 

Apologies for the reply to a reply in your post, Johan ... hope you don't mind.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 03:43:23 pm »
I have used a lyric sheet for all but one or two of the songs I've recorded.  And when I played live that one time for an audience I did the same.  Not one person came up to me afterwards and said that it was a pity I didn't know all the lyrics from memory.  Even when I know the lyrics I find having the sheet in front of me reduces performance anxiety ... no fear of forgetting the lyrics ... can still get lost and mess up a take, but no forgetting :) 

Apologies for the reply to a reply in your post, Johan ... hope you don't mind.
Hi David

I find reading whilst playing really distracting it can causes more problems than it solves for me. Maybe I should practice that too.
Sorry Johan
G

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:00:15 pm »
Hi David

I find reading whilst playing really distracting it can causes more problems than it solves for me. Maybe I should practice that too.
Sorry Johan
G

Fair enough ... guess you just gotta figure out a way that works for you, Gareth.

Like Johan is doing in this cover-a-week challenge ... rock on Johan :)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:53:26 pm »
I'd quite fancy a go at Johans challenge but I can't imagine learning the lyrics to 52 songs. It's an issue for me.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:24 pm »
Really strong performance - perhaps your best of all.
Playing and singing seem committed and strong, working well together as one rather than a guitar and a vocal as though separated. You're in to it, in the groove and believing in yourself.
:)
Coolio

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 09:51:08 pm »
Very well done Johan! I loved it. Clean guitar playing for most part. But the vocals took the song to its destination :)

Offline max_mue

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
    • YT-channel
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 10:46:21 pm »
Late to the party, so not that much that I could add :) Well done Johan :)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

maxmue.wordpress.com

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 07:53:29 am »
Hi David

Sorry Johan
G

Same for me, I can't read and play at the same time. I need to learn the lyrics so I can sing them from memory.  Looking forward to hear some songs from you. Choose a song where you already know the lyrics really well.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 08:10:08 am »
Thanks Pilgrimpod, brian, close2u, Bala and Max.

Glad you liked the singing. I try to develop it all the time and its slowly getting better. I think working with different songs every week is a good way to improve singing.

About the guitar playing, maybe I have to high expectations but after all I have played for almost 3 years and I want the playing to be much smoother. Many changes are not clean, for a lot of changes I do not play a clean chord on the 1st beat, its often a bit muted due to my fingers has not landed perfectly in time for the 1st beat.

When listening to good players all changes are so smooth and there is no muted chords etc (unless they want that). But I understand it takes a lot of practice and maybe its something that I have to live with. Its not that bad and it does not seem to bother listeners as much as it bother me.

Also my right hand technique is still pretty poor. Wanna be able to have much more control and dynamics. But I guess its the nature of playing guitar. Never happy and always wanna improve...

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 06:39:15 pm »
Johan, Good job on No. 6.  But I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself about your playing.  We can all improve, but I think your guitar sounds really good on this and your playing sounds pretty solid to me.  Your vocals are coming along well, too.  Something you might want to try is standing when you're singing.  Someone suggested that to me and I think it's really helped me, that and singing from the diaphragm rather
than the throat.  Looking forward to next installment of 52.  ;D

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 08:35:54 am »
Thanks Dave.

You all seem to agree the playing sounds pretty good and I guess its only me focusing on the mistakes. I have a sound in my head of how I would like my playing to sound and I'm not there yet. I'm getting closer to it though. When listening back to some old recordings I can see myself that I have improved a lot.

Playing standing up is something I need to start doing. I have tried a few times and it was difficult. I have at tendency to hunch over the guitar and i think thats the reason its difficult for me playing standing up. Need to work more with that.

Nr 7 is soon to be posted. Another 90's song with only power chords this time.
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017

Get The Forum As A Mobile App