Author Topic: Our LP is here  (Read 367 times)

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
Our LP is here
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:42:40 am »
Some of you may remember that Keith, Dave and I have been working on an LP since before I even joined the forum. Well, we did it!  It's called A Rainy Day in Holborn.

The good news is that it sounds really great. It surpassed my expectations in every way. Keith did all the mixing and mastering, the graphic design, and front cover art. I'm so pleased with the entire package. The bad news is our plan for selling them didn't quite work out. The plan was to have them in the "vinyl on demand" store of the company that made them. Somehow that doesn't seem to actually exist, or function well if it does. Luckily the same is not true of their ability to cut vinyl. They put great care into their craft. We had 6 copies cut to start with. Dave and I have one, one is for Keith, we gave two away, and there are two copies left. We are obviously not going to get rich off this scheme. Haha. We can always have more cut if anyone is interested, but they're kind of pricy. Sorry. They're $35 our cost, which is what we'll sell them for.

We are currently in the process of making a CD, and we'll have more of those than we'll be able to handle, and they'll be affordable. We're ordering 100 copies. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll make sure you get one.

Pictures below. If Dave looks surprised, it's because he was.

(See Richard, I told you he exists).

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
    • YouTube
Re: Our LP is here
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:39 am »
Cool beans, and congratulations! Exciting stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:13:57 am »
Lynn, Dave and Keith, congratulations on this milestone in your musical journey. That’s quite an accomplishment!  Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 408
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:02:37 am »
Fantastic.
I love how vinyl is coming back to use. The fact that your first officially released recording is a vinyl LP is simply wonderful.
Something to hold.
Something to carefully place the needle on.
Something to be actively involved with in the listening.
Something big enough to have legible graphics, lyrics, dedications etc in a large font.
Something magical and exciting.

Well done all.
And good to see such a happy face!
:)

ps

I sold all of my hi-fi equipment some years ago and soon after my vinyl (it coincided with a house move and a downscaling of clutter). I had some cherished records and some rarities but I opted not to be sentimental about it. I do wish I had a better music system than currently however … small Bluetooth speakers, laptop speakers, BEAM amp for mp3 and a DVD player via TV or car stereo for CDs. And that is it. Oh - correction - I have some monitor speakers currently packed away in a box not getting used.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:22:25 am »
This is so cool! If I had space I'd have a record player. Just like anything analog it has so much more depth.

I used to dj back in the day, but only with vinyl. Never got into CD mixing or digital mixing. I just couldn't give up the tactility of records, the feel, the instant recognition of a song by the cover, etc.

So getting your track pressed on vinyl is the best!

So super stoked for you guys!

I used to work in Holborn so I'm keen to get a copy of the CD when it's available !

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 10:26:24 am »
What a journey.  Congrats to you all !!

Put me down for the CD ... though maybe you'll have to rip it and share via a DropBox rather than trying to ship to Johannesburg ... or should I wait until it is available on iTunes for download :)

Thrilled !!

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 60
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:54:00 pm »
Congrats, that's just amazing :D

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 37
    • YT-channel
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:03:06 pm »
Congratulations!! :)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 12:02:34 am »
Felicitations to you all. What a great achievement and vinyl to boot, the worlds best audio medium, says an old geezer past his sell buy date. My old turntable HiFi system died years ago (was similar to this https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjM35Xlr7LgAhWMxYUKHR-2DJUQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gumtree.com%2Fp%2Fstereo-systems%2Faiwa-classic-hifi-stereo-with-surround-sound%2F1268639555&psig=AOvVaw3JG6e2bi7ZIb9y9Va7y9TP&ust=1549929572786050 )

and I've a shed load of black plastic in the loft begging to be played. Must look into what's out there now.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 12:34:10 am »
Thanks everyone! It's been a long process that I thought might not happen, so it was really exciting to open that box when it came.

Richard, that's pretty common. I'm sorry you let them go like that. The old stuff can be really valuable. Toby, you might be sitting on a gold mine. You'd be surprised. Dave has one record that's worth $500 and many that are worth $100 each. So get them outta the shed and go online and see what they're worth. You might be rich.

When we gave our friend his copy, and told him there might just be six copies, his eyes lit up and he said "collector's item!" Haha. He owns a record store.

Yes, vinyl is cool. It lasts forever if you take care of it. Dave had records that are 55 years old and still play great.

We're rethinking the CD. We may do something downloadable instead.

Thanks again,
Lynn

Offline PilgrimPod

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 9
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:31 am »
What an awesome achievement for you guys. I'd certainly be interested if a digital download becomes available.

I'm afraid I don't share the same sentimentality for vinyl as the other guys. In fact I take great pleasure in telling my father-in-law that a CD sounds better than its vinyl equivalent when he tries to demonstrate how the latter is superior. ;D
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 3

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 12:59:13 pm »
What an awesome achievement for you guys. I'd certainly be interested if a digital download becomes available.

I'm afraid I don't share the same sentimentality for vinyl as the other guys. In fact I take great pleasure in telling my father-in-law that a CD sounds better than its vinyl equivalent when he tries to demonstrate how the latter is superior. ;D
There's one in every crowd. Haha. I used to be you. It took some (a lot!) of convincing to move Dave's records out of their cardboard boxes in a closet, and into the living room, back when I was more minimalistic. But now I love them. I like how they look, and they make listening to music more of an experience, if that makes sense. But CDs are good, too, although jewel cases don't look cool, especially once the inevitable happens, and the top breaks off.

Thanks for the kinds words.

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 02:14:59 pm »
Congratulations! What a tremendous feeling when your first held your own vinyl LP in your hands.

I have held on to every vinyl LP I ever bought since my early teens. I'm 59 now. Not even sure how many I have. I'd definitely be interested in a digital download of your LP.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 02:10:35 am »
Gosh after conception, a long gestation and a difficult delivery, it's here and it's a beauty.

Congratulations Lynne, Keith and Dave, what a magnificent achievement.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:20 pm »
Well the vinyl looks great but I’m glad you’re rethinking the CD! Sign me up for a CD or digital download, looking forward to it!!
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App