Author Topic: A bass amp for me  (Read 2650 times)

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
A bass amp for me
« on: February 02, 2019, 01:45:52 am »
Practising bass without an amp is limiting. Well that's what I'm telling myself.  ;)  I've only just started reading up about amps. I'm a beginner. I'd use the amp for practising at home, blowing up the neighbours nah, just jokin'  ;D  and perhaps some Open Mics. I also want to plug my stomp into it.

I can lift 20kg, but lighter would be better and it must be easy to lift in and out of the boot of my small hatchback car, so no fridges thanks. :D  Don't want to spend a fortune so not looking at high end stuff.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 03:58:59 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
Re: A bass amp for me
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 03:54:26 am »
Any small amp is perfect.  I spend 90% of my time playing through a Crate BX-15.  It's really small but it's easy and non complicated.

No need to over-do it.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 04:56:15 am »
Maggie, a Blackstar ID:Beam might do the trick for practice at home and perhaps an open mic in a small closed venue, though not sure about that. You wluld be able to play both Red and Cedar through the amp plus an electric if you ever went down that road ... I could imagine you with a hollow body suitable for jazz and blues playing  :)

These amps are small, so light-weight but all the reviews online really positjve. Also gets great feedback from Richard and Darrell here. So an option to consider.

Also in this multipurpose vein, is the Peavey Vypyr VIP range. Bigger than the Beam, so a bit heavier but still not huge and some good reviews. 20W and 8" speaker so perhaps better able to be used in open mic scenario. And of course that is entry level so could get a bigger one  ;)

That all said, I lack knowledge and experience to know if this multipurpose approach makes an unacceptable compromise by try to be too many things. Best bet to go listen and see how things sound. That did the trick for me when buying my first amp and contemplating solid state or valve.

Have fun ....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:30:11 am by DavidP »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 08:08:21 am »
^^^^^
An ID core BEAM could be very useful in terms of versatility and what it can do. It’s plenty loud enough for home use and maybe Open mic - it could be mic’ed up if there was a drummer!
Apart from that any of the big brand solid state small bass amps with about 30W output would be ok, if you can find Laney they are great value for your money!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 08:35:09 am »
READ THIS BIT!:)

You can run a bass through a guitar amp, but if you crank the volume there's a chance you'll blow the speaker.

How much do you want to spend?
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 10:49:45 pm »
Any small amp is perfect.  I spend 90% of my time playing through a Crate BX-15.  It's really small but it's easy and non complicated.

No need to over-do it.

Good advise Endureth. I especially like 'easy and non complicated'.  Thankyou
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 10:50:48 pm »
Maggie, a Blackstar ID:Beam might do the trick for practice at home and perhaps an open mic in a small closed venue, though not sure about that. You wluld be able to play both Red and Cedar through the amp plus an electric if you ever went down that road ... I could imagine you with a hollow body suitable for jazz and blues playing  :)

These amps are small, so light-weight but all the reviews online really positjve. Also gets great feedback from Richard and Darrell here. So an option to consider.

Also in this multipurpose vein, is the Peavey Vypyr VIP range. Bigger than the Beam, so a bit heavier but still not huge and some good reviews. 20W and 8" speaker so perhaps better able to be used in open mic scenario. And of course that is entry level so could get a bigger one  ;)

That all said, I lack knowledge and experience to know if this multipurpose approach makes an unacceptable compromise by try to be too many things. Best bet to go listen and see how things sound. That did the trick for me when buying my first amp and contemplating solid state or valve.

Have fun ....

Thanks David, this is appealing and from what I've been reading it may be what I'm looking for.

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 10:53:08 pm »
READ THIS BIT!:)

You can run a bass through a guitar amp, but if you crank the volume there's a chance you'll blow the speaker.

How much do you want to spend?

Blowing up the neighbours ... yes. Blowing up my speaker ... no. Are you referring to the Blackstar that will take acoustic guitar as well? I'll spend up to $500 AUD.

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 10:54:28 pm »
^^^^^
An ID core BEAM could be very useful in terms of versatility and what it can do. It’s plenty loud enough for home use and maybe Open mic - it could be mic’ed up if there was a drummer!
Apart from that any of the big brand solid state small bass amps with about 30W output would be ok, if you can find Laney they are great value for your money!

Thanks Darrell, I'll follow up your Laney suggestion.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 11:12:49 pm »
Maggie

Plenty of suggestions here without my input. Just make sure the volume goes to 12 !

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 09:38:01 am »
Thanks Darrell, I'll follow up your Laney suggestion.
Another one to add - Orange make nice small Bass amps also

Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »
Blowing up the neighbours ... yes. Blowing up my speaker ... no. Are you referring to the Blackstar that will take acoustic guitar as well? I'll spend up to $500 AUD.

I'm referring to playing an electric bass through any guitar amp. Especially at gigging volumes.

Celestion make speakers, watch their vid. They probably know more about the physics than I do :) 

I don't know if Ashdown bass amps are generally available in Australia, but they're worth a look.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 01:18:22 am »
I'm referring to playing an electric bass through any guitar amp. Especially at gigging volumes.

Celestion make speakers, watch their vid. They probably know more about the physics than I do :) 

I don't know if Ashdown bass amps are generally available in Australia, but they're worth a look.

Thankyou joueur de guitare, this is very useful info. I appreciate the time you've taken to help me.  :)

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 01:19:25 am »
Another one to add - Orange make nice small Bass amps also

Added to my research list Darrell. Thanks a lot.  :)

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 01:21:06 am »
Maggie

Plenty of suggestions here without my input. Just make sure the volume goes to 12 !

Toby
 8)

You are  incorrigible Tony, but I still luvs ya  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App