Author Topic: How am I supposed to play the songs with 2 chords on a bar?  (Read 252 times)

Offline smagnus89

• Good Vibes 0
How am I supposed to play the songs with 2 chords on a bar?
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:02:07 pm »
It's like playing double the BPM and it seems like I can't even strum that fast on the same chord, let alone switching chords. :o Am I doing something wrong, or I just should keep practicing it? It seems like these songs are mixed with songs with just 1 chord per bar at the same beginners level, but they impossible to play compared to the regular ones.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
Re: How am I supposed to play the songs with 2 chords on a bar?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 06:12:01 pm »
Can you change chords cleanly at the end of a bar? There's not really any difference.

If you find it difficult, and nearly everyone does at first, slow down. No use playing fast and wrong.

Are you using a metronome?

Are you doing the one minute changes for each stage?

Are there any chords in particular that you're having problems with?

<edit> I just noticed this is about the app.. I haven't used it, so the above might be just plain wrong :)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 158
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:42:09 pm »
It's like playing double the BPM and it seems like I can't even strum that fast on the same chord, let alone switching chords. :o Am I doing something wrong

You don't change the bpm or strumming.
If you are doing 1 down strum per bar the I guess you might feel like your doubling bpm and
strumming but you're not.
4 beats per bar 4/4   1 2 3 4 is the count. One chord is Chord 2 3 4.
2 chords is Chord 2 Chord 4 or strum 2 strum 4 count is still 1 2 3 4

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:52:29 am »
Smagnus

Be good to know what you're are trying to play at the moment and what stage you are at. No disrespect but I assume you're starting the BC. Difficult to anticipate your question but I guess you are referring to a bar that contains more then one chord. Well this is were counting/foot tapping the beat helps a lot. If you have a bar with two chords and assuming they are equally spread, on beat 1 and 2 of the bar you play one chord and for beats 3 and 4 you play another. So for example for an Am to G transition, and counting the beats 1 2 3 4, you play Am on beats 1 and 2  and teh G on 3 and 4. So while foot tapping or counting you go Am Am  G G ie 1 2 3 4.

That may answer your question but you may have to consider 3 or 4 chords per bar.
For example playing 8th or 16th and involve some quick changes but for now keep it simple.
 8) 

Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Get The Forum As A Mobile App