Author Topic: 2019 Cover #3 (House Of The Rising Sun)  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
2019 Cover #3 (House Of The Rising Sun)
« on: January 19, 2019, 07:42:01 pm »
Ok, here is an attempt at this classic. Played with a fingerstyle pattern that Justin teaches in the lesson and songbook.

The playing is not perfect but shows my abilities pretty well. Struggle a bit with F bar chord and the base note to ring out. Singing I am not sure about but I did my best. Singing should be much higher but I'm miles away from hitting the high notes that Eric Burdon does.

Some input on how to spice it up a little would be nice. It sounds ok but a bit the same throughout the song. Maybe mix up with some strumming but I am not ready do that.

https://youtu.be/MZpwQNk7L00

Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: 2019 Cover #3 (House Of The Rising Sun)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:02:19 pm »
Nicely done Johan, sounds pretty decent to me!
If you want to try playing it a bit differently then this might help
https://youtu.be/I2rSsaCPkwM

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:14:03 pm »
Well done, Johan ... both for keeping up with the regular recording and for a good job on keeping things clean and consistent throughout the song.  Tough one to maintain accurate finger-picking and chords for so many verses.

With more practice I think you can become more relaxed in the playing and as you do you can develop your ability to sing this one.  And if the pitch is challenging, maybe trying sticking on a capo.  Some of the phrasing is tricky to get it sounding smooth.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 167
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:09:21 pm »
Johan, I thought you did an amazing job of keeping this consistent for four minutes. That can be a lot more difficult to do than you make it look here. I liked your picking. You actually reminded me of Eric in his younger years.  Good one overall. Looking forward to No. 4.

Make sure your E sting isn’t slightly fretting out on a higher fret when barring the F.  I had that happen on one of my guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 11:09:40 pm »
Johan

Been a while since I listened to one of your recordings and think you've made great progress.
Slice me open and you'd find this progression deep deep inside but I still struggle picking this - hence my upbeat version a while back. You stayed on point and stayed consistent through out. Vocals were solid as well but I know what you mean about Burden, I keep it simple and stay in my limited comfort zone, as the original is difficult for me. But you did a great job.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:27:19 am »
I thought you did really good. Good tempo. You connected well with your audience I thought. I love this song. It’s on my list of songs to keep.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 638
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 09:59:27 am »
If you have this in your repertoire you will always be able to play it at parties bbqs etc. People never tire of it and will always sing along.
:)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 08:12:47 pm »
Very solid Johann. The picking and tempo didn't waiver for the full 4 mins. Roll on number 4.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 12:21:20 am »
Johan you're making excellent progress. Nice, clean picking, steady rhythm and a vocal that has richness in places. 

In this video, for the first time I see you 'selling' the song and this draws me in. Being able to sing to the audience and look us in the eyes makes such a difference. It goes from playing a song to performing it. I marvel at how you've broken the habits that were holding you back and now you're committed a weekly posting. This kind of determination is really bringing a change in your whole performance.

Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Aaronie111

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 02:44:43 am »
Hi dude. A good way I find to spice up this song is if you learn to play an F in a frusciante style you can hammer your middle finger on after playing the G string, same on the C with your middle finger. Also you can build dynamics in certain areas of your choice but all in all it’s a good job dude!

Offline Loefgren

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 94
  • Cause I need more time yes I need more time...
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 01:23:28 pm »
Thanks all for listening/watching and all wonderful feedback.

Darrell: Thanks for the link, I'll try that. Still a bit difficult for me picking out base notes and play arpeggios, but sounds cool. Something to aim for.

David: I have tried to capo up, but not sure if it works better. Its a difficult one to sing well.

Oldhead: Thanks, I find fingerstyle playing more easy than strumming with a pick. With that said, it wasn't easy to keep it consistent the whole song through. I'm not sure what you mean with "Make sure your E string isn’t slightly fretting out on a higher fret when barring the F." Can you explain further?

Toby: Thanks and glad you noticed a difference from earlier recordings. So I look like a younger Burdon?

Pkboo: Thanks, I'm happy I could keep the tempo for the whole song. Its a classic song yes, wish I could sing it better though (like you :))

Close: Yeah its a classic, looking forward to summer, bbq, beer and torturing neighbours and friends with this one (snowstorm outside the window right now...)

Garfield: Working on no 4, hopefully it will be the best one so far...

Batwoman: Thanks, I see those 2019 videos as a way to improve both playing and "stage presence".

Aaronie: Thanks, but I am not sure what a Frusciante F looks like?
Yamaha FG720S
BC March 2016 - Feb 2017
IM started March 29, 2017
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCus_LSy8xc5x51NrBxMt5MQ

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 10:25:14 pm »
Nice one Johan! Can't believe I only listen to this after so long! You did a fantastic job on this one. You looked comfortable playing and singing. Keep it coming. Spicing it up is good but I like it this way :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 121
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 03:29:53 am »
Sounds good to me Johan. I think you're looking nice and relaxed and you're also making the playing look so easy - that's pretty comfortable when you get to that point :)
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App