Author Topic: First acoustic  (Read 939 times)

Offline jules1972

• Good Vibes 0
First acoustic
« on: January 12, 2019, 09:02:06 am »
Hey,

Unfortunately I'm repeating the same sort of question others have posted.

Been playing a couple of months (still suck pretty bad ). I'm using an old electric but wanting to move to an acoustic. Any suggestions for a first purchase. In in the UK and not rolling in money.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
Re: First acoustic
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:17:39 am »
Yamaha.

If you can spend around 200 quid, there are some decent models to choose from.

Any large music stores near you?
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:48:03 am »
We really do need an approximate figure for your total budget.
A rough location would be useful too.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 10:12:10 am »
Hey,

Unfortunately I'm repeating the same sort of question others have posted.

Been playing a couple of months (still suck pretty bad ). I'm using an old electric but wanting to move to an acoustic. Any suggestions for a first purchase. In in the UK and not rolling in money.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Hi Jules, I am a beginner too, and have both electric and  a electric accoustic guitars.
My electric accoustic is a ibanez tcy10e - bk
I love the size of this guitar and it's mellow sounds, it was under £200, from a local store, you could get it cheaper on line I guess, but I'd rather go to a local shop if possible, the guys in the store set the guitar up for me, and lowered the action. Although I changed the strings my self later for some elexir strings, I'm very pleased with it. You can get some decent guitars around £200.  Good luck!

Offline Nightrain

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
  • beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:33:52 am »
Hi,
I would share with you one consideration, that I hope can be helpful to you when choosing an acoustic guitar. In short: Size matters :) 
I remember last year a guy handed me a Taylor acoustic guitar and said try it, it is a great instrument. I returned it, because even though a well sounding instrument and I like it, I am too small for it, and I can't practice on it. It hurts my arms, my back, makes practice frustrating for me (while it is still perfect for someone else). On the other hand, the smaller Taylor Baby is physically comfortable for me and makes it possible for me to practice often, which in the end is the whole point. (for me)

All in all I'm trying to say - try to figure out from the start what shape and size acoustic guitar you're looking for. To avoid ending up with a great instrument at a great price, but that you eventually don't practice on.

Offline RCurtis

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
I am also a beginner and got a Yamaha FG800 series. USD was just under $200 - not sure in UK what they go for. I am finding it to be very playable, stays in tune, was set up well so good intonation and action. They also have similar levels in smaller guitars if you want that - the FG is a dreadnought.

Offline Blackrabbit

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 05:17:30 pm »
I’ll admit to a total bias because a few months ago I purchased a Fender Newporter Player.  Not only does it sound epic (after replacing the strings with my fav Martin Silk & Steel) but it’s an acoustic that is meant to appeal to electric guitar players- six a side headstock, narrower neck and extreme comfort. Again not sure of your budget but this would be mid-range and it doesn’t hurt that it’s just a bit edgy.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 12:30:37 pm »
Cheers Curtis, will take a look mate

Offline swany

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:27 pm »
I looked at a number of beginner guitar reviews and it seemed that a Taylor model I can't remember, Yamaha FG 700 & Seagull S6 were rated the highest. I checked them out at my nearest Guitar Center and really fell in love with the Seagull. Was on sale for $399 US and worth every penny. This time the website reviews were right. Easy to play and sounds great. Good luck with your search.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App