Author Topic: Intro and help me from where to start  (Read 406 times)

Offline emann

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Intro and help me from where to start
« on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »
hi to all,

new here and a brief intro:

46 year old who started playing acoustic fingerstyle Nov 2017 attending lessons from a local teacher...genre is mostly fingerstyle tommy emmanuel.  I just started by wanting to play tunes but it became so much interesting that I proceeded to study theory as well and also got me an fender american special strat this xmas.  I mainly play for my passtime and relaxation on my guitars hooked up to a fender acoustasonic amp or the blues junior for my electric.  I love listening to tommy emmanuel, beatles, adam rafferty, SRV, all 3 Kings, vulfpeck, poppa chubby etc.

Anyhow my teacher is leaving abroad and I dearly want to continue learning.  What do I know up to now: started with basic open chords and fingerpicking patterns.  I am at a level now where I can play freight train, avalon and imagine at about 80bpm (tommy style).  Some struggles with barre chords especially on chord changes.  Quite conversant with the caged system, chord structure and can play mostly all shapes of the major scale, major/minor pentatonic, arpeggios major and dom7 and also quite conversant with note finding on the fret board for the basic g,c,a,d,b,e,f.  I do not read music and not that interested honestly.  I also worked on some transcribing exercises with my teacher..something very basic.

Now my dilemma - how do i continue without a teacher (budget--ahh that fender cost!!) BUT in a STRUCTURED way that leads me to somewhere.  Various friends advised me of this site and thank God I am on it.  BUT how do I assess which of the course types (beginner/intermediate/foundation) is the right one from me.  I gave the description above hoping someone can give me some guidance on how best to proceed and from which module is best to start.

I would like to continue playing both acoustic and electric and even combine the two together sort of like playing a rhythm on my loop pedal with the acoustic and then improvisation with the fender (I am lost at this at the moment).  I also want to continue learning the theory and applying my practice of the scales in a musical context now rather than boringly playing the box.  Also continue practicin barre chords.

So..here I am ready to continue on my quest to learn guitar...any guidance is much appreciated.

Regards and Thanks to All
Emann

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Intro and help me from where to start
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 02:58:24 pm »
Welcome Emann

Sounds to me like you are probably working on Justin's Intermediate Material, plus perhaps some of the Folk FInger style advanced module.  Also covered some of the topics in Music Theory.

I would suggest reviewing the Consolidation Lesson at the end of Stage 9 of the Beginner Course and reviewing the Intermediate Programme plus Finger Style module.

Scanning the lessons should give you a sense of where you are relative to that material.  You may spot some gaps in what is covered in the Beginner Course.

And then you can decide where to focus next ... could be Folk Finger style, could be IM, could be some of the Blues Lead.

I'd also suggest posting up some recordings of you playing.  That will help folk get a better sense of your abilities.

Offline emann

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:48:11 pm »
Hi DavidP,

I will look into the material suggested and try to identify how i relate to that level.

Tomorrow I will try to capture some playing and post it here so that it will provide more insight of my level.

Thanks for your interest for now.

Regards,
Emann

Offline emann

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:08:40 pm »
I looked a bit more in the beginner course and noted that some lessons are also good for me..so will continue viewing some other lessons just to take note which ones I need to do and which ones i can skip.

Further to this, please note attached link of 3 videos taken tonight after a day full of family commitments.  Please be king on me (just a year plus playing).  Hope this gives you some indication of where I stand and with your experience you can guide me on where best to proceed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UZaCFpbqsEWQwQVb6

Thanks and look forward for your help.
Emann

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 01:20:05 pm »
Emann,

Thanks ever so for sharing the videos of your playing.  I really enjoyed all three.  You seem to have laid a really solid foundation and are already beyond the basics of Beginner finger-style.  I noticed the bass notes seem to be muted ... is that intentional?  Loved the bass walks you through in and the movement up the fretboard at times.  Certainly no need to be worried about what anubody may have to say ... playing was clean, steady tempo and well recorded.

So my first suggestion would be to create a YouTube channel, upload those three clips and then post them in the "Audio or Video Of You Playing" area of the Community Website.  You are likely to get far more people taking a look and offering you encouragement and feedback.  And let me say, in my experience I have received more encouragement than critical feedback, in fact at times I wish I'd received more pointers in terms of how to improve.

From what I can see here, I would suggest you start working on the Advanced Folk Finger Style module.  I was privileged to win a Skype session with Justin and after watching me play he offered that to me as a suggestion.  This was based on what he saw of my finger-style that is really just based on the introductory lessons focused on finger-style in the Orange level of the Beginner Course.

I think you are beyond that level already, so may well progress quickly through the first lessons.  And I have no idea what lies ahead since I am working on the first patterns, which involve the alternating bass note on the beat and some melody...what I see you playing to a level beyond those first lessons.

So if what you shared is representative of what you love to play and where your interest lies, then that would be my suggestion.

Offline emann

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 03:56:24 pm »
Thank you so much DavidP....I was really wary of comments I might receive but as a start I am mostly proud of myself!... i have given a lot of time this year to learn the guitar and having some external feedback of this kind is most encouraging.

I will have a look at the Audio or Video Playing section of the forum just to get an idea then and also have a look at the Folk Finger style lessons.

Once again thanks for your interest.

Regards and best wishes.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 04:14:32 pm »
A great pleasure, Emann.

Once you get over to AVOYP you'll see just how encouraging and supportive the folk in this Community are.

You should be proud, I think you are doing well.  I look forward to hearing more as you progress.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App