Author Topic: I'm thinking of going electric  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
I'm thinking of going electric
« on: January 10, 2019, 09:51:56 pm »
But what should I buy? So I've been playing  for two years. I've only ever played my two acoustics and I've been fine with that, but I'm drawn towards improvising and playing bluesy lead stuff over my looper, anyway thought I might try an electric.

So what should I look for? I'm not thinking of breaking the bank....yet. This would be a toe in the water sort of a purchase I might not like playing electric. I was thinking squire strat but I know nothing and would appreciate some advice. Like do I need humbuckers and a whammy bar (they look like they get in the way).

Thanks
G

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
Re: I'm thinking of going electric
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02:48 am »
Hopefully there is a shop nearby where you can try out many guitars before deciding.  Having said that I would encourage you to look at G&L s.  In either their tele style guitar, the  ASAT Bluesboy or strat, the Legacy.  If you're in the US Musicians Friend offers these on "stupid deal of the day" on occasion.   

The bluesboy https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-limited-edition-tribute-asat-classic-bluesboy-electric-guitar sometimes as low as $299 but usually around $349.  Regular price of $499.

Same for the Legacy https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-legacy-electric-guitar/l10442 

We're all different so not sure what breaking the bank is for you but...   I think they are worth $499 and if you are patient a steal if you get them on sale.  I'm no expert when it comes to electric but I'm trying to learn  :)  So be sure to wait for others to chime in. 
My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline Dr Winterbourne

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:49 am »
I would definitely recommend a visit to a shop and try them out and buy the one that speaks to you. This is a bit of a golden age for good affordable guitars, so buy the one that says " Play me. Pick me up. Play me." Your mother will cry and your father will curse, but buy the one that makes you want to wail. And then, you play those blues.
Squier Custom II Telecaster, Fender Bass breaker 18/30, Yerasov GTA 15, Big Muff, Tubescreamer, Vox Wah,, Belcat Analog Delay, Phase 90,, Splash MkIII, Electric Mistress, Trelicoptor

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 02:32:17 am »
Definitely go to a guitar shop and try some guitars. For the kind of playing you describe, you don't really need humbuckers or a bar, but "need" isn't always terribly relevant. Get a guitar that makes you want to play it. (Personally, I tend to prefer single coils and a hard tail/no bar, but it's about what you like.)

It's hard to go wrong with a strat (if you're looking at Squires, check out the Classic Vibe guitars). However, I'd also suggest trying some teles. I bought my first tele when I went into a store with the intention of buying a strat and the sales guy said, "here, try this..." 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 213
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:06 am »
As others have said, Gareth.

It's like buying an acoustic.  Try a few to see what feels good to play and sounds good through the kind of amp you likely to have.

When I did the same as what you want to do, I tried strat, tele and LP style guitars in my price range and the sound of the Epi LP was the one that I liked best.

Just had a thought ... there's a Pacifica on the contest prize table. I gather people are choosing prizes, so who knows maybe it'll still be on tbe table when your turn comes around .... no idea what may tickle people's fancy and knowing the folk in this Community, I don't assume it would automatically be everybody's first choice  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:14:35 am by DavidP »

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:59:51 am »
Thank you all for those replies. I am starting from scratch as I don't even know what a telecaster is. I also hadn't worked out that a hard tail meant no bar - thanks JWC that penny just dropped. I've got a local shop that I like and I intend to go down there and play; better learn something that will sound good on electric.

I had thought strat as I hear you can't go wrong with a strat and I had thought squier as I'm only looking for an introductory electric at the moment. If I get on okay i'm sure i'll blow a load of cash on tele's, EP's, strats and amps but for now I'm testing the water.

So for the sort of purchase I'm describing does a cheap strat sound the way to go? If my second guitar is a Tele or an EP I might spend a fair bit more on it.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 213
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:21 am »
Thank you all for those replies. I am starting from scratch as I don't even know what a telecaster is. I also hadn't worked out that a hard tail meant no bar - thanks JWC that penny just dropped. I've got a local shop that I like and I intend to go down there and play; better learn something that will sound good on electric.

I had thought strat as I hear you can't go wrong with a strat and I had thought squier as I'm only looking for an introductory electric at the moment. If I get on okay i'm sure i'll blow a load of cash on tele's, EP's, strats and amps but for now I'm testing the water.

So for the sort of purchase I'm describing does a cheap strat sound the way to go? If my second guitar is a Tele or an EP I might spend a fair bit more on it.

Gareth,

I'm no expert, most of what I know I picked up reading posts here ...

Nothing wrong with Squier Strat or Tele style guitar.  They offer 4 ranges in order of increasing quality: Bullet, Affinity, Standard and Classic Vibe.  From what I have read here, the Bullet should be avoided.  The Affinity OK but if possible a Standard or Classic Vibe is the way to go.

On the Strat style you can get what is called an HSS ... that has a humbucker on the bridge with single coils in the middle and neck positions.  Sometimes the HB can be switched into a single-coil mode.  If these HSS strats do that then that is a good way to go.

The Yamaha Pacifica also gets favourable comments on the site ... especially if you buy the slightly better model.  Check out this article http://www.guitaradventures.com/yamaha-pacifica-review.  I think the consensus here is, if you can afford it, the 112V is a good starter electric.

No idea if the Squier Standard or Pacifica 112V would be a better guitar, but sure both would be good place to start and are similar in price $250 and $300 respectively (at least on the site I checked).

Good place to start I reckon ...

What will sound good ... anything with some power chords and some noodling in the minor pentatonic.  Can also play with a clean setup i.e. low gain and low vol on the amp and strum and pick like your acoustic to get a feel of how it plays and sounds tone wise.

Have fun !!

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 10:28:20 am »
All I have to add is budget for a decent, cheapish, amp too. Absolutely avoid the bargain basement stuff, and don't ever be tempted by a 'starter pack'.

I have an Affinity Strat that's great, but I may have just got lucky. A Standard is probably the best entry point, or the Yam Pacifica that David P mentioned.

Robert Cray plays a Strat, you could say he's a bit bluesy. :)

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:28:45 am »

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 12:05:07 pm »
Judas  :P

P.S.: Gareth, whatever you buy we expect to see/hear you playing it ;D

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 12:48:04 pm »

P.S.: Gareth, whatever you buy we expect to see/hear you playing it ;D

you can bet on it fox I'll be ricking Hendrix on here very soon I've no doubt. He played a strat right.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:26 pm »
Judas  :P

I'm not Dylan don't make me the hero for a generation I'm just a musician *coughs

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:58 pm »
thanks @davidp and @joueur de guitare I appreciate that info on the squier range and pacifica and thanks @sweed77 I'm not in the US but I will check out those links later when I intend to hit google, I want to get my knowledge up before I go to the shop.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 01:15:32 pm »

IME G&L aren't too common over here and tend to be the same price in pounds as in dollars.

PMT and Guitar Guitar (they're related ;) ) carry them, but I wouldn't expect to see a full range at a store.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/brands/gandl?dir=asc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIurr68OTl3wIVCrftCh2SKgy5EAAYASAAEgJ3z_D_BwE&order=price&p=2

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/g--l/guitars/electric/

I do like their offsets though.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 213
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 02:51:19 pm »
All I have to add is budget for a decent, cheapish, amp too. Absolutely avoid the bargain basement stuff, and don't ever be tempted by a 'starter pack'.

I have an Affinity Strat that's great, but I may have just got lucky. A Standard is probably the best entry point, or the Yam Pacifica that David P mentioned.

Robert Cray plays a Strat, you could say he's a bit bluesy. :)

True

And Gary Moore played an LP, equally bluesy :)

thanks @davidp and @joueur de guitare I appreciate that info on the squier range and pacifica and thanks @sweed77 I'm not in the US but I will check out those links later when I intend to hit google, I want to get my knowledge up before I go to the shop.

Pleasure Gareth.

Where are you based ... I'd have put my money on US and lost it  ;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App