Author Topic: Way of Organising a Practice Routine: Flashcards  (Read 713 times)

Offline mint_toothpaste

• Good Vibes 0
Way of Organising a Practice Routine: Flashcards
« on: January 06, 2019, 08:23:39 am »
Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share a way for organising a practice routine that I've come up with (similar to Justins new Pick N Mix Practice video, which I just saw today!)

I keep a written log everytime I practice, but have been having trouble keeping all the things I want to practice in my head, and making sure that I include new things to practice in to my routine.

...Enter flashcards! I wrote out all the things I'm up to practising on paper (I've just started the Intermediate course) in Justin's five recommended areas - Technique, Knowledge, Repertoire, Transcribing, and Improvisation. I also sub-divided 'Technique' into Scales, Chords, and Rhythms. I then laminated the cards and made them into two routines - "Today's Routine" and "Next Routine". I alternate between the two on different days.

I do everything, including the 'Break' for 5 mins, then spend at least 10 mins on Improv, Transcribing, and Songs/Repertoire, giving me at least a 60 min routine! I usually find the last three are really fun so I'll spend extra on them, or I'll really want to transcribe a line so will spend extra on that one and less time on Improv and Songs.

My plan is to add more things to learn as I go along into my Word Template or on paper.

What do think? Anyone else do something similar?

Online KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
Re: Way of Organising a Practice Routine: Flashcards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 08:42:35 am »
Welcome to the forums!

I think that looks like an awesome way of keeping track of practice sessions! I wish I had that kind of self-discipline :)

I can see how this might really work if you have such a schedule hanging where you can clearly see it while doing the practice. I've read similar ideas from some of the great guitar players, where they keep a little book with all the ideas they come up with for practicing something.. and then pick random exercises to work on every day.

Offline mint_toothpaste

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 08:53:26 am »
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I keep a little book with ideas too, but find that it always gets messy - I never leave enough lines to add ideas or write descriptions. ... of course, the solution to this would be to 'be less messy' haha.  8)

Offline mapleasian

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:35:44 pm »
I can't see anything. Any trouble to upload to imgur or another hosting site?

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline TheJoker1432

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 05:32:29 pm »
How would a good adaption for a beginner coursish dude look like?

And I would like to include some songs not from the site as well as some exercises outside the beginner course (like a scale or a hammer/pull training)

Currently my daily routine is a 2+ hours bloated monster (not calculating pauses to just swap a paper or other)

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 04:06:38 pm »
Hi Mint.

Your approach is inspiring.
I am towards the end of the BC but have strayed from the course material.  I focus on 1 minute changes for chords on specific songs. Working on barre chords incl B, Bm, C#m, Dm, F#m, etc. I have done ear training and theory in the mornings for 15 mins  day over past 6 months or so. I think i am over-practising the same stuff. I want to add more variety to my routine.
Your flash cards is a good idea. I won't be that structured but can benefit from a simple lesson plan.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 09:27:54 pm »
Welcome mint. I can't see the images. Sounds a good idea and  would be good to see them. I'm looking for a way to organise my practice. I'm all over the place at the moment.

Offline Dubwolf

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 08:27:27 pm »
Interesting, by thumbnail i could see its working for you great
I also need to find a way motivate my self to practice

Get The Forum As A Mobile App