Author Topic: Katana amp control from Android  (Read 560 times)

Offline Nicko453

• Good Vibes 0
Katana amp control from Android
« on: December 25, 2018, 02:40:09 am »
There is an app on Google Play Store called KatanaMan which provides ‘BTS like’ access from Android phone or tablet.

(Disclosure - I am one of the co-developers)

Regards,
Nick

Offline Krow

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Katana amp control from Android
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 01:47:04 am »
Wow! I can't believe nobody has responded to this!  I'm new to electric guitars and even newer to amps, having just bought a Katana 50. I downloaded this app on my phone and connected it to my amp with a USB to MicroUSB converter.  Just like BTS you can adjust your amp from the app and changes using the knobs show up in the app realtime. You can save and load settings although I haven't done that yet.

I'm a total noobee to this stuff but can see those of you who know what they're doing taking advantage of this - when on the go it's a lot easier to connect a phone or tablet than a computer.

Big shoutout to Nick for putting the effort into this.

Keith
Yamaha FGX800C; Fishman Loudbox Mini; Epiphone LP Standard Pro; Katana Mini; Katana 50

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:16:27 pm »
Hi Guys
I've just downloaded an app called Katana Librarian from the Google play store £6.99. (Thanks Krow). It works on Android only. I have an iPhone so I thought about a cheap used Android phone then saw the Amazon fire 7 tablet for sale at £30 new with guarantee! Better than a phone as it has a larger screen. It works on Amazon’s Fire op system but you can download fixes that allow it to work with all Android apps. Like the Katanaman app described in the previous thread, you then connect your phone/tablet via an on the go cable to the amp. You then download Justin’s patches, and of course any other patches from other sources into the app. Brilliant! You have a library of settings at your fingertips! Click on a setting in the app and the amp changes to that setting. Instead of 4 presets you now have an unlimited number.  I may keep the fire 7 connected to the amp and only use it for this and other guitar things like watching Justin’s video lessons etc.

Note:- the amp setting controls are not as comprehensive as BTS on a PC or Mac, so you can’t perform ‘deep’ sound changes but as a convenient library and multiple preset system, an old phone or cheap tablet is more convenient than having to tie up your everyday phone, computer or laptop. My desktop pc is in another room, so for me this is a no brainer!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:19:38 am by sairfingers »
Martin D28 Reimagined : Gibson SG Standard : Boss Katana 50.

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 04:28:47 pm »
I may keep the fire 7 connected to the amp and only use it for this and other guitar things like watching Justin’s video lessons etc.
Change of plan. Don’t keep it plugged into the amp. Don’t know why, but the battery goes flat even though the amp is switched off!
Just keep it beside the amp!

Offline Edwin010

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:29:24 pm »
Im just waiting till someone makes a Bluetooth connection(arduino?) from the kat50 to a phone/tablet. That would be awesome.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Offline Krow

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 09:17:12 pm »
Im just waiting till someone makes a Bluetooth connection(arduino?) from the kat50 to a phone/tablet. That would be awesome.

Imagine being in a place,  ready to play,  and 50 people in the audience all have Katana Librarian on their phone. Someone decides to connect their phone to your amp via Bluetooth and...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:17:46 am by Krow »
Yamaha FGX800C; Fishman Loudbox Mini; Epiphone LP Standard Pro; Katana Mini; Katana 50

Offline Edwin010

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 09:33:10 pm »
Imagine being in a place,  ready to play,  a bad 50 people in the audience all handed Katana Lederhosen on their phone. Someone decides to connect their phone to your amp via Bluetooth and...

But...  4 digit code?
And for home use it would be awesome.

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 12:22:44 am »
You're over thinking this now Edwin. You're connected to the amp by a cable from the guitar anyway! ;)

But...  4 digit code?
And for home use it would be awesome.

Offline Edwin010

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 09:48:17 am »
but my laptop is at the desk, so a bluetooth would be nice.  ;D

Offline sairfingers

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 12:04:47 am »
but my laptop is at the desk, so a bluetooth would be nice.  ;D
;D

Get The Forum As A Mobile App