Author Topic: Looking for first acoustic guitar  (Read 732 times)

Offline jwtiger

• Good Vibes 0
Looking for first acoustic guitar
« on: December 23, 2018, 05:26:19 pm »
Hello everyone!  My name is Justin and I am looking to learn how to play the guitar.  In my younger years I actually played the bass and took lessons, but that was a long time ago.  Now I want to get back into music and start fresh by learning the guitar.  I think I would be willing to spend $150-$200 on an acoustic.  Of course I do not need anything over the top considering my price range.  I love county, blues, and would love to play classic music as well.  Not sure if that even matters with this price range and just starting out. 

Offline Guitar_65riff

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Looking for first acoustic guitar
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 06:16:50 pm »
Hi Justin. First of all, welcome and good luck with your journey.

There will be many come on here with great advice so you'll have a bit of thinking to do.
I would say to go to a store and try out a few.
If something you like is too expensive, look for the same one but second hand.

Guitars are very personal as I'm sure you learned before. What is amazing to one player is middle of the road for another.

Hope you find something special

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 436
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:07:08 pm »
Hi Justin, welcome to the forum and your guitar quest.

I assume 150-200 is US $ - is that correct?

As guitar_65riff suggests, actually going and holding some - any - is going to help you decide.
Otherwise our suggestions will just end up as photos of things made from wood with no substantial understanding on your part.
Acoustic guitars vary in size and feel.
Dreadnought is about as big as you want, but you may want parlour size, folk size, OO size, OOO size.

I would not look for either a cutaway or an electro-acoustic as those things cost money but won't be of great value to you in the first year or more.

Yamaha are a reliable manufacturer with consistent quality control.
But go hold some.
Put your hand around the necks and feel if they are too narrow, wide, thick. If the body size suits you and is comfortable.

Good luck.
Keep asking questions.

Offline Holensum

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 08:26:23 pm »
I will second close2u on the Yamaha. It is my first, and only, guitar. More experienced players tell me it has sound and volume similar to their Martins and Gibsons. However, I do recommend hitting your local guitar establishment and handle different sizes to find the one that feels best to you.

Rock

Offline jwtiger

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 09:02:20 pm »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and warm welcome.  I have a few friends that play and between them have a selection of to mess around with.  Going to a store would be a good idea as well.  I hope to get something shortly and start playing.  And yes this is going to be US. 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App