Author Topic: Original Song - "New Brighton"  (Read 623 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Re: Original Song - "New Brighton"
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 07:33:39 pm »
Just read your lyrics, I feel it has a "white room" thing going in it. I guess my only limitation with the English language (except my accented "v") is my ability to comprehend some lyrics on go one! So forgive me if I'm wrong. But if I'm right, I love it!

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 08:37:01 pm »
Just read your lyrics, I feel it has a "white room" thing going in it. I guess my only limitation with the English language (except my accented "v") is my ability to comprehend some lyrics on go one! So forgive me if I'm wrong. But if I'm right, I love it!
Hi Bala, although I’ve heard “white room” many times I’ve never actually read the lyrics until now, THEY ARE COOL. “White room” wasn’t in my mind, although I do see the similarities in mood.  The lyrics in New Brighton are a comparison between now and back in the Victorian era (when the resort was very very popular). So ghosts of the old outdoor pool and ballroom are present now, as is the lighthouse, which is no longer used. A Pierrot sculpture welcomes people to New Brighton and reminded me of Bowie in the “Ashes to Ashes” video, hence the “no longer hitting an all time low” line....which I decided to steal  ;D
New Brighton tower was built about 1900 and electricity was relatively new, it was lit up at night. Ursula rode a motorcycle on the Wall of Death, with Clarke and his monkey. Early Punch and Judy shows were performed by a Punchman, the Bottler collected the money. Madame Marguerite was a lion tamer who performed in New Brighton and dared men to join her in the cage with the lions for a drink of champagne.
The chorus is self explanatory, apart from “Parr” - Martin Parr produced a book of photographs in 1985 of New Brighton entitled “the last resort”, the place looked shabby, dirty and grim. Sorry to bore you with a history lesson, thought it’d be useful to explain what I’m on about though  ;D
My album - https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/monochromeguitars/angel-heart-2
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e
The Big Trees > Orange PPC112

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 08:54:58 pm »
Hi Bala, although I’ve heard “white room” many times I’ve never actually read the lyrics until now, THEY ARE COOL. “White room” wasn’t in my mind, although I do see the similarities in mood.  The lyrics in New Brighton are a comparison between now and back in the Victorian era (when the resort was very very popular). So ghosts of the old outdoor pool and ballroom are present now, as is the lighthouse, which is no longer used. A Pierrot sculpture welcomes people to New Brighton and reminded me of Bowie in the “Ashes to Ashes” video, hence the “no longer hitting an all time low” line....which I decided to steal  ;D
New Brighton tower was built about 1900 and electricity was relatively new, it was lit up at night. Ursula rode a motorcycle on the Wall of Death, with Clarke and his monkey. Early Punch and Judy shows were performed by a Punchman, the Bottler collected the money. Madame Marguerite was a lion tamer who performed in New Brighton and dared men to join her in the cage with the lions for a drink of champagne.
The chorus is self explanatory, apart from “Parr” - Martin Parr produced a book of photographs in 1985 of New Brighton entitled “the last resort”, the place looked shabby, dirty and grim. Sorry to bore you with a history lesson, thought it’d be useful to explain what I’m on about though  ;D

Wow Birdland! Now I get the full picture. Thank you for the explanation. I love history and learning about different places and culture. So that was very interesting. Is this the same Brighton as in Brighton and Hove Albion? Seems like a cool place to visit. Gotta hurry before my sis leaves Southampton. And your explanation now puts the lyrics in a more Beatlesque category of painting scenes with words. Brilliant stuff either way! :)

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 09:02:51 pm »
Wow Birdland! Now I get the full picture. Thank you for the explanation. I love history and learning about different places and culture. So that was very interesting. Is this the same Brighton as in Brighton and Hove Albion? Seems like a cool place to visit. Gotta hurry before my sis leaves Southampton. And your explanation now puts the lyrics in a more Beatlesque category of painting scenes with words. Brilliant stuff either way! :)
It’s a different place to Brighton, which is southern England,  but the guy who developed New Brighton (bought the land, built villas, tower, ballroom, piers etc. Had Brighton in mind, New Brighton is not too far from Liverpool in North West England.
Gibson es335
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 10:33:03 pm »
It’s a different place to Brighton, which is southern England,  but the guy who developed New Brighton (bought the land, built villas, tower, ballroom, piers etc. Had Brighton in mind, New Brighton is not too far from Liverpool in North West England.

Ah I see! I don't mind going back to Liverpool. I don't mind going back to England really. Loved the place. Plenty of history is something that I love!

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2018, 01:04:16 am »
Cool dark song, well produced and nice work on the guitar. I really liked the lyrics - had to google some of the references - enjoyed looking at Parr's last resort while listening to your song.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 02:31:38 am »
What I meant by ‘familiarity’ is for the song to include universal images so that it speaks to more listeners. The verses easily do this, and the music enhances that atmosphere, but the chorus, which should be the catchy part if there’s going to be a catchy part, didn’t fit as well for me (except the first line). I actually just googled ‘Parr’s Last Resort’ and so now understand that reference, and with your comments about revitalization in the area the last two lines make sense. However, even if I don’t know what the song is about I’d still like to be able to assign my own interpretation to it, even if just in an overall image, even if it’s not what the writer intended. I guess it’s really just the last two lines, they don’t fit in with the rest of the song without knowing about revitalization efforts. So I guess I should re-phrase my comment to say there are a lot of familiar images throughout the song but the last two lines of the chorus are a bit jarring because they don’t seem to fit. (The ‘Parr’s Last Resort’ line fits because even if I don’t know the reference to that photograph series it’s obviously referring to the end of some resort where presumably the show was.)

So that’s it for my critique of lyrics today lol.

And of course others may disagree with me :)

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 09:57:05 am »
My daughter now lives in New Brighton, and we visit her fairly frequently (we were there last week).
It's really interesting to get a glimpse of it's past from your lyrics and to appreciate how much it has changed.
As you say, it has had a lot of investment and is quite the up and coming place now.

Thank you for the song.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 10:07:27 am »

Thanks for these details, Steve, big ups for your artful lyric writing !!

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 42
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 01:01:17 pm »
Ursula rode a motorcycle on the Wall of Death, with Clarke and his monkey. Early Punch and Judy shows were performed by a Punchman, the Bottler collected the money. Madame Marguerite was a lion tamer who performed in New Brighton and dared men to join her in the cage with the lions for a drink of champagne.

... for the Benefit of Mr. Kite?  ;)

Offline b1rdland

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 02:03:00 pm »
@kontenda glad you like it and thanks for giving it a listen.
@majik Thanks Keith, yes it's a cool place now, I'd live there again, no problem.
@embishop Hi Mari, I'm with you now. Thanks for the critique.  The chorus seemed quite logical to me....but then I did write it  ;D I agree that the third line could be better at explaining that things are good now in the resort.......I'm glad you weren't my English teacher  ;D Thing is, to my mind there's a balance between logic (science) and imagery (art) in music.  If I "understand" lyrics (or a tune) then that's OK, if I don't, but I like the pictures the words or sounds paint, then that's good too. In fact many of my favourite albums are quite puzzling lyrically: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway; Marquee Moon, Heaven Up Here etc... but that's cool and intriguing to me.
@DavidP Cheers David!
@brianlarson Yes indeed Brian, and all from a Circus poster, clever those scousers!
Gibson es335
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 06:09:26 pm »
Hi Steve, (I think I have that right?)
Well much feedback has been given so I will say I think you did a good job on this. I won't repeat others comments and hope what I am to share has not already been said.

If I were you I would think about length. 4:45 or so is a long time to hold a listener's ear. I used to have long songs as well, but then Roman pointed out most songs professionally done are at about the 3 minute mark. That does not mean you can't have a longer song, it to me means you need to really think about song length, your content and if it will hold folks ear till the end. If not, maybe shorten it.

Now all we need from you is a rockin Christmas original! - But I understand if not as I don't have one either! LOL  ;)
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Get The Forum As A Mobile App