Author Topic: "Just Friends"- Jazz Rendition  (Read 285 times)

Offline Gus Machado

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
"Just Friends"- Jazz Rendition
« on: December 10, 2018, 03:37:05 pm »

Hey Guys, Gus here again.
As I am still learning and practicing jazz, and recording my learning. So I want to share my achievements with you guys in order to get some feedback.
This is my rendition of the jazz standard "Just Friends" as taught by Sandra Sherman channel.
Please feel free to comment about my guitar skill, in what concerns chord changes, clarity and tone.

Thanks in advance.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: "Just Friends"- Jazz Rendition
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 07:56:57 pm »
Hi Gus,
Wow - wish I could help you by commenting but I would not know enough to even know where to start with Jazz. Sounds pretty good to me on this end!

Keep up the study and good works!

Jazz that Rocks!
Lro
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 226
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:45:06 pm »
Gus,

Sounds and looks to me like you are making good progress.

I loved the tone.  Most of the chords and changes sounded smooth and clean.

The only thing that struck me was a couple of moments around 30-40s that sounded a lot brighter, with more bite, than the rest of that smooth, mellow sound.  Don't know what it is supposed to sound like, so can't say if that is an issue or not; just something that struck me listening.

Well done and look forward to more of these videos ...

Online embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 81
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 12:27:25 pm »
This sounds absolutely ace, Gus, I loved it. I’ve become very interested in jazz so have been working on a couple things, and what I find so far is that the chord changes are so difficult (for me, at this point) that I’m not getting much of the sense of a jazz feel. I’m playing jazz chords, sure, but I’m not finding the jazz. You’ve got the chord changes down magnificently, and the feel of the playing is superb. Good vibes to you.

What amp and settings are you using? I haven’t found the ‘perfect’ jazz tone for my amp yet.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Gus Machado

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 12:40:24 pm »
This sounds absolutely ace, Gus, I loved it. I’ve become very interested in jazz so have been working on a couple things, and what I find so far is that the chord changes are so difficult (for me, at this point) that I’m not getting much of the sense of a jazz feel. I’m playing jazz chords, sure, but I’m not finding the jazz. You’ve got the chord changes down magnificently, and the feel of the playing is superb. Good vibes to you.

What amp and settings are you using? I haven’t found the ‘perfect’ jazz tone for my amp yet.

Mari

Hey Mari,

I understand. It is really difficult to chord change, especially when you're trying to make chord melodies (which is what I like the most in jazz guitar). Maybe I can share some video lessons with you. But first tell me, do you use a real amp or simulation, and which guitar. I can share my presets.

Online embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 81
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 12:46:39 pm »
Gus, I’m playing my Gretsch G5420T, through my Boss Katana 50 amp. I finally loaded up the Tone Studio editor this past weekend but haven’t used it yet. I looked for some jazz patches but didn’t find any. I’ve been playing through a clean channel with the bass/mid/treble rolled back, not much gain, bit of reverb.

Mari

Offline Gus Machado

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 12:51:43 pm »
Gus, I’m playing my Gretsch G5420T, through my Boss Katana 50 amp. I finally loaded up the Tone Studio editor this past weekend but haven’t used it yet. I looked for some jazz patches but didn’t find any. I’ve been playing through a clean channel with the bass/mid/treble rolled back, not much gain, bit of reverb.

Mari

I should'nt be hard to find the tune. I'm going to check it for you. Meanwhile, do you have videos of you playing or audios?

Offline Gus Machado

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 01:02:16 pm »

Mari

Actually I don't use a real amp. I use amp simulators and do a lot of tweaking instead. In order to give it the same ambience and texture I would get if I would use a real world amp. Since I have some guitars ...i tweak for each one of them and save presets and take note of everything. It works for me.

This jazzmaster is not a great great guitar. It is comfy but it is hard to take a good tone out of it, so I had to do a lot more of eq. Here is what I am using. It is built on some ideas I got from Sandra Sherman ( do you know her? If not, she's an austrian jazz guitar teacher with great online lessons for free.

Here is my preset, I know you're not using Amplitube, but it might give you some ideas: https://imgur.com/a/Ws5lEBk

Online embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 81
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 01:10:18 pm »
No jazz in here, but here’s some of my playing. Knockin on Heaven’s Door was a collaboration with DavidP, I’m on lead guitar and arpeggios, David’s doing the rest (including the mixing!). Nobody Knows You was recorded a few years ago now, I should redo that one to improve the solo! :)

Thanks for the preset - I’ll check it out later and let you know how it goes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xc4cy0joz8odmiz/Nobody%20Knows%20You.mp4?dl=0

https://soundcloud.com/user-515453056/listen-to-the-music-cover/s-kv4pr

https://soundcloud.com/user-515453056/let-it-be-jan-28-18-final/s-vcbhc

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/kohd-20181106

Get The Forum As A Mobile App