Author Topic: Tuning issues  (Read 175 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
Tuning issues
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:42:00 am »
Hi all

My Squire standard tele goes out of tune on bends.
Its only a year old and it looks like the previous owner had the same issue as when I changed the strings I noticed large amounts of carbon on the nut slots. The tuners are quite tight and difficult to use as they can jump when tuning so the string being tuned jumps from flat to high.

I have correctly installed new strings, stretched them and used nut lube on the nut and trees.
Looking online the general opinion seems to be it is probably not the tuning pegs and to look at the nut.
Can anyone explain why it would be the nut, my thinking is when doing bends if the string is catching in the nut rather than the tuners unwinding and you are constantly tightening the tuners to get back in tune then the strings would be getting tighter and tighter  and soon snap.(if it is the nut causing it the tuning pegs will not be unwinding).

Jono

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Tuning issues
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 02:04:08 pm »
If you’re getting a ‘jump’ when you’re tuning it’s likely that the slots in the nut are a bit too tight for the strings. it’s easy to cure, the best way I know of is to get a short length of the offending string and wrap it with one thickness of very fine emery paper (say 800 or finer grit), loosen the string and move it from the slot, then use the wrapped string to gently sand the slot out making sure you go to the bottom. Clean the slot apply some string lube and all should be ok.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:49:30 pm »
Thanks, I have a load of up to 2000 grit paper. I will give it a go. I was briefly looking at nut files, how can they charge so much.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:12:08 pm »
Thanks, I have a load of up to 2000 grit paper. I will give it a go. I was briefly looking at nut files, how can they charge so much.

I've never been able to make my mind up whether nut files are a con or not. As a tool of the trade they're an essential, so a guitar tech is going to need them and will recoup the cost over his career. For the average punter they're outrageously expensive.

Having had that rant.

While I agree that it's probably the string binding in the nut, nut slots are easy to **** up. When you restring the guitar do the strings 'ping' when you're bringing it into tune? If they do, it may be the nut's cut too tight.

Personally, I'd be inclined to let a pro look it over if I wasn't sure before attacking the nut with bits of abrasive paper. :)

And having written all that, the tuners on cheaper Squiers ain't that great. The tolerances can be a bit sloppy. I seem to have got lucky with my Affinity, it's pretty stable considering the bottom of the market tuners.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 04:38:23 pm »
There is no pinging at all. I will carefully give the emery paper a go. If it doesn't work I will be learning how to replace the nut.
It was shipped with 9s and I have 10's fitted.
A pro is the very last resort for me.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 04:57:29 pm »
Here you go, plus what to do if you overdo it.

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:57:30 pm »
It worked, thanks guys.
I don't understand why I needed to keep tightening the tuners though if the strings were stuck in the slot.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App