Author Topic: Guitar Rescue  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Fantomas01

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Guitar Rescue
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:08:26 am »
Hi Guys

I'm loving all things guitar, about 3 months into Justins beginner course and really enjoying it.  I've been playing my brothers Fender MIM strat, which is great.  Yesterday, I rescued a Columbus Les Paul copy from being sent to the tip.  Guitar looks in reasonable shape but needs some TLC, so look slike it might be a nice project.  After a bit of googling it turns out Columbus guitarswere imported from Japan in 1960s and 70s so adds a bit of interest and history.  I've seen one on Reverb going for £300 so not sure if they are any good or just of interest to collectors, but just glad it's been saved from the tip !! 

The frets look sound, but could do with a clean up, so I was going to start with taking the strings off, masking the fretboard and using something like Brasso Wadding polish to clean them up as well as the machine heads etc.

Is Brasso OK to use so long as I don't get it on the fretboard ?

Then I was going to condition the fretboard with Lemon Oil, will this clean the wood as well or is there something else I need to do ?

The guitar is well out of tune, but the action feels really high...too high for me anyway, so I'll need to do that too. 

The body is in pretty good nick, no dings or anything, it does have a sticker on it so I'll get that off and then clean up the body as best as I can.

Any hints and tips on tidying it up would be great as I've never restored a guitar, but keen to get into it :)

Thanks
Matthew

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
Re: Guitar Rescue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 02:00:39 pm »
For the frets I would use 0000 wire wool or buy a fret polishing kit, I dont think the brasso is a good idea.

If the fretboard is rosewood then use some lemon oil (the stuff meant for fretboards, not juice from a lemon), if it is maple use water.

Nail varnish remover is good for getting stickers off (I used the ones without acetone,  acetone may harm the finish) providing the finish is poly and not nitro. This is a bit controversial though, all I can say is it worked wonders getting a sticker off mine and I can't see any problems caused. The general internet view is don't use it.

There are plenty of resources to adjust the truss rod and action online, it is fairly easy to do, especially with a Les Paul as you only have to get the two e string heights correct.

I would also simply replace the machine heads.

Jono

Offline Fantomas01

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 04:44:28 pm »
Hi Jono

Thanks for the tips.  I've done up a bass I bought of ebay for £11 and sold it for £55, but all I did with that was give it a rub over with a duster, rub some lemon oil into the fretboard and change the strings.

I've done some research and opinions on Columbus guitars vary wildly so I'm not really sure what I've got, but I guess it's worth having a play about with.

Thanks again
Matthew

Offline Fantomas01

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:49:15 am »
Hi Guys

Just a bit of an update.  I've managed to give the guitar some initial TLC, I got the sticker off without any problems.

There was a rattling sound when I played a chord, which I couldn't figure out, but realised the truss rod was really loose so I gave that a tighten and it stopped.

I have two problems now.  The main one is that when I play a Gmaj chord it seems to "bend" out of tune as if I was actually flexing the guitar.  I'm only resting my strumming arm on the body of the guitar.  It's not really noticeable on any other chords.  The body is almost like a hollow body so I'm not sure if I can do anything about it, but any suggestions would be great.

The second thing is that the action is really high, but the bridge looks to be at the bottom of its range so I don't think I can lower it.  The nut does appear to be quite high and the neck looks to have good height off the body so I don't think it needs shimming, but I could very easily be wrong !!  I am very much finding my way on all this.

Thanks for reading and any pointers would be great.

Thanks
Matthew

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:18 pm »
There is a set of videos on how to setup a guitar on the website. This would be the best thing to do. You will need some way of accurately measuring gaps such as feeler gauges and string height ruler.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Get The Forum As A Mobile App