Author Topic: Guitar Challenge XXX - Funky blues in Am  (Read 521 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Re: Guitar Challenge XXX - Funky blues in Am
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 03:54:03 pm »
@Balamuthiah, nice take! I'm going to agree with @DavidP on a couple of points. Your tone and licks are good, but this BT just doesn't make me want to grab my guitar. I'm not as ensconced in the blooze as most, so bear that in mind. Fewer notes, more space, and maybe more scale movement would be worth considering. "It could only get bluer" is so in the pocket and tasty that this one seemed more exploratory in nature and less locked into a groove.       

Thank you for the valuable feedback CT. I get what you’re saying and honestly I myself have questions regarding my choice of this backing track. But I just wanted to give it a shot anyway as it would put me outside my comfort zone. It was in a way a challenge take took me on an exploration outside that comfort zone :) I will work on your suggestions as well as see if I could better my long runs. Thank you once again :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:39:10 pm by Balamuthiah »

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 04:11:11 pm »
Thank you for the valuable feedback CT. I get what you’re saying and honestly I myself have questions regarding my choice of this backing track. But I just wanted to give it a shot anyway as it would put me outside my comfort zone. It was in a way a challenge take took me on an exploration outside that comfort zone :) I work on your suggestions as well as see if I could better my long runs. Thank you once again :)

It's all about stretching, taking chances and getting better, and you sir are moving ahead quickly. You're becoming a player that I can look up to. :)

The BT is what it is, I'll have a go at it later. It's supposed to be a challenge, right? I'm trying to find my creative entry point. Might need to add some samples. LOL

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 04:33:53 pm »
It's all about stretching, taking chances and getting better, and you sir are moving ahead quickly. You're becoming a player that I can look up to. :)

The BT is what it is, I'll have a go at it later. It's supposed to be a challenge, right? I'm trying to find my creative entry point. Might need to add some samples. LOL

It truly was a challenge, probably the most testing and the worst kind of challenge so far. Looks like funk rock could be very difficult soloing to. More respect to Jimi! I still have lightyears to go with soloing. I will stick with it though. Learning new licks, practicing scales and movement and the best part of all combining them in improvs. The good thing about it is it's fun anyway I look at it. :)

I was actually hoping to hear yours. You always seem to have answers to any kind of backing tracks.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 04:37:53 pm »
@Balamuthiah, I found my creative entry point. Something I've been wanting to try for some time. Hopefully I can pull it off. 8)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »
@Balamuthiah, I found my creative entry point. Something I've been wanting to try for some time. Hopefully I can pull it off. 8)

Yes CT! That's more like you! I'm sure it's gonna sound huge! Looking forward to it :)

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 02:22:17 am »
This is an exercise in phrasing to match, mimic, and utilize the notes from vocals. I didn't travel the fretboard too far as I think the source vocals didn't travel too far either. Anyway, it was fun ear training as well:
Hey Yeah

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 03:11:37 am »
This is an exercise in phrasing to match, mimic, and utilize the notes from vocals. I didn't travel the fretboard too far as I think the source vocals didn't travel too far either. Anyway, it was fun ear training as well:
Hey Yeah

Interesting stuff there CT. Who's doing the vocals? I don't know if it's me but some notes sounded a touch off from the vocal notes in the beginning.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 03:29:13 am »
Good ear! There were more than a few notes off, in the vocals and in my ear translation. The vocals seemed to mostly start with an F note, and the progression was in A minor which has a F, D minor has an F, but E minor does not, it has an F#.   

The vocals were sampled from here:

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 04:17:35 am »
Good ear! There were more than a few notes off, in the vocals and in my ear translation. The vocals seemed to mostly start with an F note, and the progression was in A minor which has a F, D minor has an F, but E minor does not, it has an F#.   

The vocals were sampled from here:

Ah I see now! Good use of theory there! It seemed to sound better in the second half though, probably cuz of the notes you were playing then! But it's a good experiment nonetheless! Gives me a few ideas :) And I wanted to invite the singer to my band if it were someone you knew :D

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 08:11:37 pm »
Hey Yeah

Clint, enjoyed listening to your playing. Make the connection between your playing, the vocal samples and the BT...bit of a struggle. My ears are in need of much training, no doubt.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 10:46:10 pm »
@DavidP, your ears are right where they need to be. It was fun, interesting but pretty poopy:

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 04:16:40 am »
@DavidP, your ears are right where they need to be. It was fun, interesting but pretty poopy:

Just love the animated images you drop into your replies, Clint

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 03:47:41 pm »
And here is my effort ... https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/gc-xxx-20181209

Followed your advice Clint and just "let 'er rip".  Found this one tricky and suspect at times I wandered off the (backing) track and got lost in the forest.  But as always it was fun.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 05:11:37 am »
And here is my effort ... https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/gc-xxx-20181209

Followed your advice Clint and just "let 'er rip".  Found this one tricky and suspect at times I wandered off the (backing) track and got lost in the forest.  But as always it was fun.

I liked it David. Some interesting ideas there. Having fun is what this was all about :D

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 06:50:59 am »
I liked it David. Some interesting ideas there. Having fun is what this was all about :D

Thanks Bala.  It is liberating to be more focussed on the fun side, while at least trying to stay within the key.

On this I thought I'd try some of the 7 & 2 notes related to the chord but the 7s in particular on the E sounded odd.  Anyhow, all about fun and slowly developing some feel for what sounds ok, notes and tempo wise.  Without worrying too much about formally working on technique etc.  It is "play" time for me between the more focussed business of learning technique and performing songs.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App