Author Topic: Beginner acoustic  (Read 288 times)

Offline FLH1313

• Good Vibes 0
Beginner acoustic
« on: December 01, 2018, 06:26:16 pm »
I am looking a a fender FA-100 for $85 CAD.
Was wondering if anyone knows anything about this guitar and if the price is worth it?
I have been playing about 8 months

Offline ManxCat

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Beginner acoustic
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:28:35 pm »
FA-100 is the Fender brand's entry level acoustic guitar. I tried to post a couple of review links for you, but the daft permission constraints of this forum wouldn't permit it. "You are not allowed to post external links". o.O

Going street price for a new FA-100 is USD$149ish. CAD$85 for second hand in very good condition sounds about right. Good buying if it's near new in very good condition, a little less if it has any signs of wear and tear. Negotiate the price of a set of new strings off it if it's more than 6 months old. Pass if it has any damage.

FA-100's target demographic is new entrant, and functionally it's fine for a first guitar to learn on -with the caveat, it's a Dreadnought. While I wouldn't buy one new with alternatives available around similar price points, plenty do because of the name on the headstock.

Why?
A. Yamaha, Cort and others offer a better product around the same new price point, and Cort in the particular offers a basic but superb quality Concert bodied acoustic in their AF-510 OP. Their Dreadnought version is the AF-810. Yamaha's equivalent of the AF-810 is the F-310.
B. Personal predilection. I detest Dreads.
C. Fender is Basswood body with laminate top. I'm no guitar snob, but I can tell you from first hand experience, whilst just fine as a learning/training tool which is really all about the neck and fingerboard, a Chinese made Basswood body won't sound near as good as any of the alternative offerings I've mentioned. Trust me. Made in Indonesia production quality and a Pacific Mahogany body tone beats Basswood any day. Cort even at entry level also come fitted out of the box with 80/20 Phosphor bronze D'Addario OEM. 

I guess whether you buy the FA-100 or not depends upon your purpose for it. What are you currently using if you've been playing 8 months?
"Life is just a bowl of cherries"

Offline FLH1313

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:58:05 pm »
First off thanks for the info. I am learning on a Jackson JS22 electric. I was looking to grab something that I didn’t need to plug in and sounds good. What would you suggest that won’t break the bank?

Offline ManxCat

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:17:20 pm »
I was looking to grab something that I didn’t need to plug in and sounds good. What would you suggest that won’t break the bank?

Depends upon what you want to do and budget.

As you're aware, even a solid body electric can be heard acoustically.

A few things to consider, primarily what you want an acoustic for? i.e. actual purpose. Acoustic tones or?

Any acoustic is going to make noise. No good for practise when silence for the household or neighbours (late at night) is a prerequisite consideration.

Options I see are buy a headphone amp like one of the Vox AmPlugs or a clone, if quieter practise is your goal?  I have a NUX GP-1 and it works a treat. Sure technically you have to plug it in, but without a lead, and it's silent insofar as others are concerned, yet you can rock to your hearts content with it. And of course, portability. Second option is use a headset with the Jackson and your existing amp. Most amps will have a 3.5mm headset jack these days.

OTOH if your reason for wanting one is for acoustic purpose flexibility, e.g. "Don't Get Me Wrong", "Ventura Highway" et al, or merely curiosity I heartily endorse getting one. I realised I wanted arguably needed one about two months in, and I did. Be aware fretting an acoustic is usually very different from an electric due to the fingerboard radius, action and often, string gauge.

That said, what's your budget? No shame in going low if that's part of the requirement. And do you want a Dreadnought or Concert or?

My pick in the entry level stakes is either a Yamaha or Cort. But there are plenty of alternatives. Yamaha don't make an budget Concert body equivalent of their F310 at this juncture. Their APX is a fantastic e-acoustic guitar for those used to fretting electric, but its narrow neck won't suit everybody, and depending upon where you live, it's around twice the price or more than entry level altenatives like Fender's FA-100.

My pick of the cheapies is inarguably Cort's AF510 OP. I put my money where my mouth is. I own and play one, but my opine isn't ego driven misplaced buyer pride.  I already had two acoustics including the APX, but I bought an AF-510 after playing one a fair bit in the realisation of what a hidden gem they are despite their affordability.

Cort make an e-acoustic version too, the AF-510E and cutaway version AF-515E, but you're paying a premium for the prefitted preamp and piezo with them. Any of those are really sweet players with loads of warm tone and projection for concert bodies. Importantly IME, Corts QC is superb, those units are constructed of quality materials and components no-one else offers anywhere near their price point, and their necks do play very very nicely.

Hopefully there's something in there of use to you? Cheers.  8)

"Life is just a bowl of cherries"

Get The Forum As A Mobile App