Author Topic: 005 2018 God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen  (Read 1005 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 25
Re: God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 10:29:26 pm »
Keith, Dave and I were inspired to make this by the holiday song contest. Unfortunately, we started it right away, before the rules changed, so now it's too long. It was against our collective artistic integrity to cut it to fit.
This is really well done!  8)
You've kept your artistic integrity too.

Now just take a three minute section of it, make a minute change, so it's technically a different piece, and enter it into the competition area where it was originally intended.
You're right, the competition is not about winning- it's about taking part  :)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 03:35:24 pm »
Thanks for all the positive comments.

The song was done first and the video cut to match the music. I left far too much video on the cutting room floor. The song should have been even longer.

The Urban Legends Northern Lights event was pretty spectacular. The film only gives a small taste of what it was like walking around watching all the visual art.

The music was to celebrate Christmas first and enter the competition second. We wanted to do God Rest in our style which we achieved.

It would be wrong to cut bits out of it just to fit a 3 minute format. Knowing my taste you'd be left with a lot of backward processed noise and no melody.

Thanks again, your comments are much appreciated.

Keith

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 08:29:17 pm »
Wow Red,
That is quite the intro! Interesting take on this song... I like traditional so this is a bit out there for me. Shame you picked one over the time limits! Good effort and nicely done though!

Have a rocking Merry Christmas!
Lbro
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 47
Re: 005 2018 God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 04:06:27 am »
Hey Red. Like LBro, a bit outside my tastes, but I heard your voice and liked it. The video was unique and I know it took skill for that. Musical instruments, nothing wrong at all with their skills!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 08:42:18 am »
Quite a spooky sound to this for Christmas - the kind of sound The Velvet Underground might do  if they were to write a Christmas song. Very interesting video to accompany it. Well done guys - obvious that a lot of work went into this. What's all this about artistic integrity - aren't you supposed to sell out at Christmas time - embrace the commercial vibes so to speak ;D.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 409
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 08:53:27 am »
What an absolutely artful collaboration.
Everything is imbued with a sensitive and inspired creativity.
Well done both.
I love it.
:)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 08:59:53 pm »
Lbro and Pam,
Thanks so much for listening and commenting. I appreciate that you did even though bit's not your thing. Merry Christmas!

Thanks Kontenda. Excellent being compared to them. We've heard that before. We must be doing something right. Happy holidays!

And thank you for your kindness, Richard. We're happy to be invited into the contest, even though we were rebellious. Maybe Justin will give us coal in our stockings. We probably deserve it. I wish you good health, happiness, and success in the new year!

Lynn

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 08:12:00 am »
The forum goes haywire and when I get back properly, voila, we're in the competition. Santa must have come early. Thanks Richard for relaxing the rules.

Thanks for all the comments, special thanks must go to Dave, Lynn's partner, who played the great synths.

The video was from an evening of events held in Hull to celebrare Christmas. It was a great night and the film seemed to demand being linked to God Rest.

Thanks again,

Keith

Offline PilgrimPod

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 01:53:21 pm »
The forum goes haywire and when I get back properly, voila, we're in the competition. Santa must have come early. Thanks Richard for relaxing the rules.
It's still too long... ;)

Now bear with me here... It reminds me of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings; a very long book and by today's standards overly descriptive and drawn out but considered by many (myself included) to be the greatest fantasy fiction ever written.

Now that for me is this song. It's long, it's slow burning, it's pretty awesome. :)
25 Aug 2018 - BC started - Currently at stage 3

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 08:08:12 pm »
I didn't really notice it being that long. I played it in the car and it was good company on the way home. Very creative stuff and it sounds very polished and professional.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 07:14:24 pm »
Thanks PilgrimPod. That's fantastic.

Garfield, I'm glad you liked it and you didn't crash your car while watching it. Haha.

Lynn

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 11:41:03 pm »
Hi All,

If the Doors were recording a Xmas song today it would sound something like this.
Wonderfully spooky and traditional all rolled into one fuzzy Christmas pudding of a version.

The time eased by.

The video worked a treat with the music and voice.

Jolly good stuff.

Digger

Spot Digger, a really Dooresque feel. Great to take classic festive song and aprpoach it with such a new concept. Loved to overall tension, spookyness. Santa wanders the halls of the hotel in The Shinning. "Heeerrresss Chrisssstttmmmaaass"

Epic

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 03:30:09 am »
It's always challenging to come up with a different reading of a well known song so kudos for this one. Your rendition has a distinctive style and you've made it your own. Congrats!
Neil

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 409
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 10:25:53 am »
Listening again … and every time more of the riches unfold and shine bright.
What a piece of work this is.
Just sublime in its textures and depth.
 :)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 10:34:09 am »
Wow - lot of creativity here - very cool :)

Love the melody elements overlapping all over the place, very interesting. this is quite epic and trippy! :) it's quite a long 'arty' work which works in it's style but wouldn't be to everyones taste! Trippy video too!

Well done everyone :) merry xmas y'all!

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App