Author Topic: Creating Simple Tab  (Read 282 times)

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Creating Simple Tab
« on: November 29, 2018, 07:15:41 pm »
I just want to create simple tab.  Nothing more and so far the only way I have found to do it is to write it out by hand on tab paper.  I have guitar pro 6 which works great but it seems to want to make everything fit into a time signature and I'm not looking to do that.  I have not been able to find a guitar pro forum to ask if that can be turned off.

I have an older paid version of Adobe Acrobat and I have loaded blank tab paper into it and have entered tab like that.  The problem is the first line works great but when you get to the second time it starts acting crazy and wont let me put numbers where I want to.  There must a reason but it's over my head.

So when you see a nice PDF full of tab what program is being used to make it? 

Thank you for any help.

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
Re: Creating Simple Tab
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:32:15 pm »
Why is fitting it to a time signature a problem?
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 07:51:51 pm »
Well it's from video lessons where the tab is on screen.  So mainly it is short riffs of maybe 4 to 10 notes.  I know when you see tab that is a PDF file I don't think ive ever seen it in bars, it's just tab.  So when I try to enter what Im seeing in guitar pro all types of errors pop up.  I would be very happy with what I want to do if Guitar Pro would just have all the time sigs and the bars vanish.  That's what I really need.

I almost find it a bit odd that a program that people pay for has no dedicated forum or support.  Unless I missed there is no contact with them??

Back to original question I can see if I was composting something or writing tab for something composed already I would need to fit into time signatures but this is just random riffs, nothing special.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:56:17 pm »
Well it's from video lessons where the tab is on screen.  So mainly it is short riffs of maybe 4 to 10 notes. 

Give me an example?
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:02:47 pm »
Give me an example?

Im not sure how to write tab here but let's say its a simple chord fill riff like this:  Using the three lowest strings in order it would be:   0 23    023    02 and then end on an Em chord.  The first 023 is the Low E and the second is the A string and the  0 2 is the D string.  If I try to write that in guitar pro errors pop up.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:05:43 pm »
Something like this, for instance?

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 08:19:56 pm »
Something like this, for instance?

Yes.  That's not the exact riff but there are many riffs similar to do that.  How mine is set up bars and time sigs would mess up what you have there so nice and neat.  Is that Guitar Pro?

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 08:35:54 pm »
Yes.  That's not the exact riff but there are many riffs similar to do that.  How mine is set up bars and time sigs would mess up what you have there so nice and neat.  Is that Guitar Pro?

GP6. Note the time sig. ;)

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 09:53:03 pm »
GP6. Note the time sig. ;)

I tried that the 1/32 and it's closer to what I want but not quite what you have.  My tab notes are spaced way too far apart.  Almost an inch.  Is there something else?  Thanks.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 09:59:08 pm »
It's standard GP format. Experiment with different time sigs?

This is what it looks like as a pdf.

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 12:28:48 am »

I appreciate the help but I just give up.  Using the 1/32 and I still have bar lines and notes are over an inch apart.  It looks nothing like yours.  Maybe my preferences are off.  Totally done with this software but I appreciate you help.

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 06:59:10 pm »

Lol.  I am giving it one more try.  I can duplicate everything you have right there except my notes are farther apart.  Did I mess up a setting??  Thanks.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:10 pm »
What do you have the notes set as. Whole, half or quarter?
That could be the difference.

Offline Finley

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 09:08:35 pm »
What do you have the notes set as. Whole, half or quarter?
That could be the difference.

I have actually tried them all.  At first I set them just like the example above but eventually Ive tried all of them.

I did find a program called Tabledit that does exactly what I want.  It has a freefrom feature and so it would look pretty much like i drew tab lines on a piece of paper and then put the numbers in.  Nothing else on the page.  Only issue is that they want $59 for it.  A bit steep for me so most likely I will just use a paper and pencil.  Ive already paid for one tab prgoram, Guitar Pro that I never really use hardly and when I want to use it, well it wont do what I need.  A friend of mine showed me how he does tab in excel and that's a bit too much work.   I have tried tux guitar also but no luck.  Thanks for your input.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 155
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 10:24:25 pm »
There's a free one called tuxguitar. I don't know if it will be what your looking for.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App