Author Topic: Basic recording to chart progress as a begginer  (Read 213 times)

Offline guitardan

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Basic recording to chart progress as a begginer
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:39:22 am »
Hi all
I'm a begginer player, and would like to record my practice sessions to play back , so I can hear what I should be doing to improve my playing, just something simple but with good recording playback quality.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
Re: Basic recording to chart progress as a begginer
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 11:41:01 am »
I just use my Android phone to capture the video and for the audio, I use the built-in mic on the Android earbuds. Very simple but effective.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 103
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 04:38:16 pm »
If you've a laptop or pc best to use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). Audacity is freeware but something like Reaper is not overly expensive. Plenty of threads here on using DAWs as well.

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline BluesJourneyman

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 05:36:21 pm »
I’m a beginner too who’s looking to record my practice sessions and was thinking about using GarageBand to record the audio and possibly my iPhone to record the video so just need to research how to combine the two together for uploading purposes to YouTube/My Roadcase

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 46
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »
First off, recording your practice sessions is a good approach on a number of different levels. At the end of the day it's all about how you sound, and there's no better way to judge your progress than by keeping an audio record. Also, if you are recording all the time you will be far more comfortable with the process, you won't tense up as much when the red light goes on (so to speak).

I started out years ago with a cassette recorder and then graduated to a cheap mp3 lecture recorder. I still use the lecture recorder as a scratchpad for ideas and sometimes release a track here and there for low-fi gits and shiggles. :)

Now that I'm starting to get into better recording equipment and mixing practices, the mouth noises, breathing, background noise, and fret buzzes make me long for more low-fi recording. But that's another topic.   

Get The Forum As A Mobile App