Author Topic: Microphone for recording with phone  (Read 201 times)

Offline lianergoist

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Microphone for recording with phone
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:29:51 am »
Hello!

I am new here. I would like to make some videos of me playing acoustic guitar, and my best camera is my phone. I don't have much money to spend on a microphone, so I think of something like this:

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Rode-SmartLavand-Lavalier-Microphone-for-Smartphones/12YM

But, how good can I expect the quality to be with a microphone like this?

Will I get better sound if I go for a cheap condenser microphone? (More clear/larger sound? Less noise?)

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/MC1-Condenser-Microphone-by-Gear4music/25NJ

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/IK-Multimedia-iRig-PRE-Microphone-Interface-for-iOS-Devices/INZ

Or will the the phone itself be the limiting factor?

Or should I spend even more on a better microphone? (Any suggestions?)

Thanks...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:05:00 am by lianergoist »

Offline DanniTSI3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Re: Microphone for recording with phone
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:16:45 am »
Hey I just ordered one just like that from Alliexpress for like $3. Will take a few weeks to get here but I can practice in the meantime!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline lianergoist

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:28 am »
Hey I just ordered one just like that from Alliexpress for like $3.

Well, I don't think it is "one just like that". I have used cheap mics from china, and the quality was not even fair for the price. I also have a cheap Sony stereo microphone (ECM-DS70P) and I expected it to be okay, but it's not. I has a heavy noise level, and no top or bottom.

The Røde SmartLav+ mic has a good reputation, but I don't know how well it is for music, and that's why I ask here. 

Offline DanniTSI3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 10:19:32 am »
Cool mate. I've ordered a cheapy to see how it goes. I wont be mad if I've wasted $3

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DanniTSI3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 10:23:08 am »
I meant "looks like" it rather than "just like". You said you didn't have much $$ and 42 squid seems a lot!

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DanniTSI3

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:26 am »
Maybe someone whose more techy will get back to you. Look forward to hearing some recordings!

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline lianergoist

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 11:14:41 am »
I meant "looks like" it rather than "just like". You said you didn't have much $$ and 42 squid seems a lot!

Oh yes, and thank you for answering. I didn't mean to be rude or anything. I guess I am ready to pay what is needed to get something with not too lousy sound - but I don't want to pay more than I have to.

What I really don't know is; how good or bad the sound quality in the phone itself is. There is no point in using £100 or more on a microphone, if the phone cannot produce that quality of sound.

So, I guess my questions can be boiled down to: how much should I use on a mic solution for a phone? Is the Røde SmartLav+ able to produce a good, open sound on a youtube video? Will I get a better result if I use a (even cheap) condenser mic with phantom power?

Or should I forget about using the phone to record the sound, and use my computer and a proper USB audio interface and a good mic? To be honest, I think this will be overkill for me. But I would like to hear what you think...

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 01:01:31 pm »
Hey there,

Fraid I can't offer any technical opinions on the mics you've listed. And to get feedback on the phone perhaps share what make, model and OS it is.

That said, take a look at the video below made by fellow Community member, Hilts.  This was recorded using a phone and using the ear buds plus mic for hands-free calling that came with the phone.  You'll see the mic hanging out of the neck of the T-shirt.

General consensus is that the recording quality delivered this was was a step up on just using the phone's built-in mic, decent enough tone and balance between vocal and guitar.

Can't say what phone Hilts is using. 

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 38
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 01:28:25 pm »
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S9 for all my videos.

While we're on topic, I was looking at this mic as a possible upgrade to the earbud mic. It has a 4 star rating from over 600 reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Panda-Lavalier-Lapel-Microphone/dp/B01MSKI46R/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542115641&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Purple+Panda+Microphone+Mount
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline lianergoist

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 02:05:45 pm »
to get feedback on the phone perhaps share what make, model and OS it is.

Well, it's a Huawei P9 Lite (android). I don't think sound is something that gets high priority by the manufacturers, so I would expect all phones use more or less the same chip and sounds equally good with a mic attatched.

That said, take a look at the video below made by fellow Community member, Hilts.  This was recorded using a phone and using the ear buds plus mic for hands-free calling that came with the phone.  You'll see the mic hanging out of the neck of the T-shirt.

Wouw, I didn't expect that good sound from a set of ear buds! Impressive! Way better than the chinese microphones I once had and with less noise than my Sony stereo mic...

Offline lianergoist

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 02:12:14 pm »
While we're on topic, I was looking at this mic as a possible upgrade to the earbud mic. It has a 4 star rating from over 600 reviews.

Well, it looks like I don't need to go for a condenser microphone with external preamp etc. ...  :) 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App