Author Topic: Knocking on Heaven's Door (Collab embishop & DavidP)  (Read 536 times)

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
Re: Knocking on Heaven's Door (Collab embishop & DavidP)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 02:47:05 pm »
Listened
Enjoyed
thumbs up from this neck of the woods  :)

Online Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 02:47:16 pm »
Thanks Bala, again for the comment on tones. David did midi drums and bass, acoustic guitar strumming, vocals, and mixing. I did the electric guitar parts. I know I didn’t get all the bends, but I sure got a lot closer than when we started the project. The notes highest up the fretboard are very hard to bend for me.

Yea I have that problem too especially when the callouses go away! But you did well on most part of the solo. You'll get there with more time :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 02:48:37 pm »
Listened
Enjoyed
thumbs up from this neck of the woods  :)

Thanks Brian, glad you enjoyed it and appreciate the feedback.

Online Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 03:09:20 pm »
Bala, the bass track was MIDI using a free digital instrument plug-in.  We had a YT bass lesson that showed how to play it that included the score.  So I used Reaper Notation Editor to create the bass score.  Then put Waves GTR plug-in on which has some bass amp sims and pre-sets to juice up the tone.  Glad you liked it.

It still needed your effort and it sounded good David! :) It sounded very close to the original.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »
It still needed your effort and it sounded good David! :) It sounded very close to the original.

Thanks Bala.  That is true ... the effort :)  Glad it sounded good. 

Amazing what can be done with modern tech, once you can read the score.  I guess playing it would be better but until that time, it is great to have that option when arranging a cover or original.

Online Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:08 pm »
Unless we are put on a stage to perform our tracks, everything is fair in the recording process! It’s still us making the sound. And with some fair experience using software to make music (still can’t get the flute on California dreamin to sound right), I know it’s a hard process! :)

Offline schlaffenwagen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 50
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 04:22:43 pm »
Hey guys,
I see that colab projects are becoming a trend of the year ;D That's a very good trend when people from different parts of the world work together to create some music.
Good job Dave and Mari! :) Dave certainly made big progress on playing and mixing ;) Mari has confirmed her status as probably the only gal in the community who plays rock guitar ;) Maybe you should put more gain on amp or use a tube screamer pedal to make more sustain to the solo parts...But that's a matter of taste anyway.
Good job once again and keep it going :)
Cheers,
Roman
Keep on rocking!

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 07:27:18 pm »
Unless we are put on a stage to perform our tracks, everything is fair in the recording process! It’s still us making the sound. And with some fair experience using software to make music (still can’t get the flute on California dreamin to sound right), I know it’s a hard process! :)

That's true Bala.

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 07:31:18 pm »
Hey guys,
I see that colab projects are becoming a trend of the year ;D That's a very good trend when people from different parts of the world work together to create some music.
Good job Dave and Mari! :) Dave certainly made big progress on playing and mixing ;) Mari has confirmed her status as probably the only gal in the community who plays rock guitar ;) Maybe you should put more gain on amp or use a tube screamer pedal to make more sustain to the solo parts...But that's a matter of taste anyway.
Good job once again and keep it going :)
Cheers,
Roman

Thanks for listening and great feedback, Roman.

I learnt lots when doing the collab with you last year. Happy to be putting the knowledge to work and try to share what I've learned from you and also LB on production and mixing.

Offline b1rdland

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 07:31:34 pm »
Excellent! Everything is nice and clear, great guitars, lovely harmony - excellent lead break (the highlight for me) - that acoustic picking in the background is sweet! Great job guys,really enjoyed it.....I could hear you knocking  ;D
Gibson es335
Fender Telecaster Professional
Taylor GS Mini-e

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 12:33:35 pm »
Omar, Gareth, Brian, and b1rdland - thanks for listening, and I’m glad you liked it!

Yea I have that problem too especially when the callouses go away! But you did well on most part of the solo. You'll get there with more time :)

Bala, practice practice and more practice right? And listening, that’s helpful too lol. The solo was certainly fun to learn and play, imperfections and all :)

Mari has confirmed her status as probably the only gal in the community who plays rock guitar ;)

Well thanks for that Roman - I guess I better finish learning Stairway to Heaven now!!

And thanks for listening and for the feedback. I’d never even heard of a tube screamer pedal before joining the forum, and yet I think I probably ‘need’ one now! And to improve my playing skills of course lol. :)
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 04:16:40 pm »
@b1rdland wrote exactly what I was thinking! Enjoyed your track a lot. 

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 04:20:13 pm »
Thanks b1rdland and Clint

Another level of fun and satisfaction to be making music with a friend and all the better when the song is enjoyed.

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 02:04:52 am »
Very nice collaboration. I enjoyed the harmonies. You both keep improving by leaps and bounds. Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 05:03:06 am »
Very nice collaboration. I enjoyed the harmonies. You both keep improving by leaps and bounds. Great work!

Thanks very much, Pam, glad you enjoyed it.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App