Author Topic: Knocking on Heaven's Door (Collab embishop & DavidP)  (Read 1699 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Knocking on Heaven's Door (Collab embishop & DavidP)
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:37:32 pm »
https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/kohd-20181106

We had a lot of fun producing this cover, in the style of Guns 'n Roses ... OK the GnR would be more Mari's playing than my singing :)

Hope you enjoy it.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
Re: Knocking on Heaven's Door (Collab embishop & DavidP)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 07:56:49 pm »
Good rockin...you had me head banging along and holding up my pretend lighter!
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:15:22 pm »
Nice job on this more challenging version. 

Good vocals, guitar play and more... all around nice stuff. I liked the tone of the E Guitar on most of this... The high notes seemed to need a little more of something I am not sure of. Kasper could figure it out. But this is a small thing on a nice project and production.

I did not dissect the mix but in one pass it was good to my ears. Hum, just had a thought on them high E Guitar notes - David you could have tried putting on some saturation via Fx item automation on in those spots. Just a little something to keep in mind for next time. Not sure it would work as it would have to be heard.

Good stuff for sure and worth the listen!
LB

You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:46:22 pm »
Nice job David and Mari! One thing I must say is I love how much work went into picking out the tones. It sounded not very far from the original tone wise. Another thing I’d suggest is if you had mentioned who did what so that I could appreciate the performance individually. Overall I really loved the collab. The lead play was good, the vocals were good and I particularly liked the bass. Good performance deserves good vibes!

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 09:48:47 pm »
Very nice collaboration here! Can't wait to hear more rock collaborations from you in the future 8)!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 11:16:59 pm »
Not very festive if you ask me!

Ha ha

;) ;)

Well done both.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 12:25:52 am »
Good rockin...you had me head banging along and holding up my pretend lighter!

Thanks Tosh :)

Good vocals, guitar play and more... all around nice stuff. I liked the tone of the E Guitar on most of this... The high notes seemed to need a little more of something I am not sure of. Kasper could figure it out. But this is a small thing on a nice project and production.

I did not dissect the mix but in one pass it was good to my ears. Hum, just had a thought on them high E Guitar notes - David you could have tried putting on some saturation via Fx item automation on in those spots. Just a little something to keep in mind for next time. Not sure it would work as it would have to be heard.

Good stuff for sure and worth the listen!
LB

Thanks LBro. I especially appreciate comments about tone on the electric, since that’s a challenge for me. David I think did something to tweak sounds too. One of my big learnings on this project is that the whole truly is greater than the sum of its parts, that very nicely sums up mixing to me now.

Nice job David and Mari! One thing I must say is I love how much work went into picking out the tones. It sounded not very far from the original tone wise. Another thing I’d suggest is if you had mentioned who did what so that I could appreciate the performance individually. Overall I really loved the collab. The lead play was good, the vocals were good and I particularly liked the bass. Good performance deserves good vibes!

Thanks Bala, again for the comment on tones. David did midi drums and bass, acoustic guitar strumming, vocals, and mixing. I did the electric guitar parts. I know I didn’t get all the bends, but I sure got a lot closer than when we started the project. The notes highest up the fretboard are very hard to bend for me.

Very nice collaboration here! Can't wait to hear more rock collaborations from you in the future 8)!

Thanks glp. This was my first collaboration, tons of fun so yes I do hope there’s more in the future :)

Ha ha

;) ;)

Too funny. Although if you want to do a stretch then in the Christian tradition anything with ‘heaven’ in it could be considered festive ... (ha ha :) )

Well done both.

Thanks Richard :)
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 01:28:32 am »
You're leaping from strength to strength here David, in every way. Mari love your guitar tracks, they have grunt and grunge. David all the mixing 'thing's sorry that's about as precise as I can be, are blended so smoothly and you've created a groove I sink right into it. As far as mixing goes that's where I hear huge progress - the way in which you use the um something. Your vocal? Is this a comfortable key for you? You sound a bit strained at times.

Thanks so much for this  :) :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 06:41:08 am »
Thanks ALL for listening and the positive comments.  Music is such a gift and all the more so when making the music with a friend and it being shared with others who get some enjoyment from the listening.

Won't wall off text this reply, so just very specific replies ...

Your vocal? Is this a comfortable key for you? You sound a bit strained at times.

Maggie, I wasn't conscious of any particular strain in an uncomfortable way.  My wife did ask me "what I was belting out".  So maybe in striving to push something extra into the chorus I went into a vocal "red zone"?  Or maybe I was just (ineffectively) channeling my inner Axl (just the voice, not the stage dress :)

Ha ha

;) ;)

Well done both.

Thanks Richard ... putting down my guns and wanting to get into heaven ... what about a song about repentance and making a change for the better, more peace in the world  ;D  OK, stretching a bit :)

I particularly liked the bass.

Bala, the bass track was MIDI using a free digital instrument plug-in.  We had a YT bass lesson that showed how to play it that included the score.  So I used Reaper Notation Editor to create the bass score.  Then put Waves GTR plug-in on which has some bass amp sims and pre-sets to juice up the tone.  Glad you liked it.

I liked the tone of the E Guitar on most of this... The high notes seemed to need a little more of something I am not sure of.

David you could have tried putting on some saturation via Fx item automation on in those spots. Just a little something to keep in mind for next time. Not sure it would work as it would have to be heard.

LBro, you are stretching my listening and appreciation of tone into new territory.  To me the tone as Mari played it sounded great and would not know what I was listening and striving for to add the little extra.  The quest for just the sweetest tone :)

Thanks LBro. I especially appreciate comments about tone on the electric, since that’s a challenge for me. David I think did something to tweak sounds too. One of my big learnings on this project is that the whole truly is greater than the sum of its parts, that very nicely sums up mixing to me now.

Mari, the tone of the electric guitar was all you.  What I did was add some effects to create some width ... so more contributing to creating that overall sound, which was focussed on the power chords.

I have the same sense of appreciation for how all the instruments come together to create a pleasing whole.  Even the vocal sounds so different in the mix vs if you listen to it solo. 

For those of you getting into producing multi-track ... be aware that if you listen to your vocal solo without instruments it may be a bit scary but as likely as not will sound good in the mix ... at least that is my experience  ;D

Thanks again, your support and encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
    • YT-channel
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:17 am »
Great job Mari and David :) I read through the comments and there's nothing that hasn't been said already (regarding mix, vocals and tone). So I'm kinda just stopping by to say that I really enjoyed this!  :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 10:56:20 am »
Not going to say anything else but WOW what a fabulous job you both made of it!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:31 pm »
Maggie, Max, and Darrell - thanks for listening and the positive feedback :)
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 12:38:51 pm »
Nicely done! Great job David and Mari  :D

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 12:53:07 pm »
I really enjoyed it. Very impressed. Afraid I can't offer anything constructive on the playing or the mix. Great job guys.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 217
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 02:38:44 pm »
Thanks very much Gareth, Omar, Darrell, Max ... really glad you enjoyed the listen and took time to say so, means a lot to get that feedback.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App