Author Topic: Boulevard of broken dreams  (Read 11305 times)

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 211
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Boulevard of broken dreams
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »
Dire straits is definitely in the list. Can play the basic rhythm guitar to Sultans of swing. It’s probably time soon to tame the beast that is the solo!
Money for nothing is a great one to start with for Dire Straits, the intro is a good start to learning the ‘Knopfler firgerstyle’ technique, you should soon get it down!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
Looks like I got my guitar on Jimi Hendrix’s birthday! So it’s not that cliche after all that I named it little wing!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 06:47:01 pm »
Money for nothing is a great one to start with for Dire Straits, the intro is a good start to learning the ‘Knopfler firgerstyle’ technique, you should soon get it down!

Ah! That’s a good one too! I believe Justin has a lesson on that too. Will check it out this weekend :) thank you Darrell!

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 211
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »
Ah! That’s a good one too! I believe Justin has a lesson on that too. Will check it out this weekend :) thank you Darrell!
Pretty certain that he hasn’t done it but this is pretty decent:
https://youtu.be/eIeiFU0IPzc

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2018, 07:44:08 am »
That’s good to know David :) check it out when you can

Sounded great, Bala ... wish you many hours of great playing.  And of course, we'll all enjoy gettting to listen :)
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2018, 12:48:13 pm »
Sounded great, Bala ... wish you many hours of great playing.  And of course, we'll all enjoy gettting to listen :)

Thank you for the kind words David :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 03:09:24 pm »
Pretty certain that he hasn’t done it but this is pretty decent:
https://youtu.be/eIeiFU0IPzc

That's a neat lesson. This guy is cool too. I think I learnt the intro to Hey Joe from him. As for this, it's going straight to my "next projects" list :) Thank you for the share Darrell.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2019, 01:20:17 pm »
All righty. So I figured it was finally time for a RC update. Been planning this for about a month now. Right after my last update about my new Strat, on December 1st I got a bunch of invites that changed my life drastically. The first of them was an invite from Roman to join the Christmas collaboration with Cagnonrocks, Batwoman and Kasper. I can never forget the moment I read the message about a million times before I came to my senses and said YES! There was a dream team right there. I sincerely acknowledge the vast amount of talent and passion on this community, but these people right here were my heroes! It was an amazing experience for me personally as I got to learn a lot about collaborations, production process, the importance of vocal exercises and about the humility, class and the ever helping nature that comes with such special people. As part of the collaboration I saw the cover evolve through its various stages. I heard some amazing drums from Roman, solid rhythm and bass from Kasper and Kevin, lovely intro from Maggie with her choir. I was awestruck through all this that I forgot about the challenge that was approaching. I turned in my demos and found out a lot about the singing process. I learnt about the importance of pitch, tone and the energy that goes into the process (Batwoman and Cagn were incredibly helpful and patient in getting me on track). By the time I figured it out and made a decent version, I sent a track with a touch of reverb and noise cancellation. The exact opposite of the kind of track that Roman wanted.And the worst part is I only had the produced track and deleted the raw track. As frustrated as I was, I was passionate about this collaboration and wanted to give my best so kept recording demo after demo to top that performance but in the end I couldn't. I even ran home from work during lunch to record a demo. However I managed to reduce the reverb on the track with a plugin I got for garageband and to my sigh of relief, Roman was pleased with the result. Thus, I was able to provide my contribution and was pleased about it :) But the lesson learnt is to keep all your tracks until the final mix! In all i had so much fun collaborating with these wonderful people. I feel its the sheer passion that we shared for music that made us do what we did and have fun along the way. :)

And during this time, I got invited by a coworker to his Karaoke party along with a request to perform at the party. I had planned on doing a couple of singalong favorites in "Hey Jude" and "Crazy little thing called love" (They are huge Queen fans!). However, the party didn't shape up in the end. However, a guitarrist coworker of mine invited me to join him and his friend to do the same song sometime.

The third invite I got was on this band and meeting website called Bandmix. I got invited by a local musician to join his American rock history music book to sing a song. I have turned in my demos but am yet to hear back from him.

As for the final "invite" update, I was gonna jam with my first guitar hero and friend Mike from school. However, I'm down with cold and fever right now and am unable to do anything musical.

As for my travels, I flew 24 hours from the USA to my home in Chennai, TN, India on the 23rd (it was the 25th when I landed though). Landed to some coincidental Pink Floyd lyrics which sang

"Home
Home again
I like to be here
When I can
When I come home
Cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones
Beside the fire"

Mindblowing stuff which led to a few improvs in the same week. Did my biometric and visa interview on the following days. The stamping process is keeping me here for a while now as I was expected to return this weekend. The embassy said I should just wait and keep checking every now and then. So that led to a lot of travel again and meeting some friends and family. Guitar practice has been going strong. Currently, as I had mentioned, I'm ill and am waiting for my illness to go and my voice to return so I could record some originals. One of them were inspired by my visit here. It's been an eventful couple of months. There's so much to tell so apologize for my extremely lengthy update. It feels good to be home on vacation after 4.5 years! More to come! :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2019, 02:47:28 pm »
Much appreciate you taking time out to post this update and a few recordings while travelling the world, Bala.

I can only concur with what you say about collaborations.  And I have also had the privilige of being "Schlaffenwagen'ed", as others say ... it was such an experience.

Look forward to hearing about and perhaps some music from you re-connction with your good friend.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2019, 04:36:48 am »
Good to read your update Bala. Get well soon and hope you get all the stamps you want.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2019, 06:43:01 am »
Much appreciate you taking time out to post this update and a few recordings while travelling the world, Bala.

I can only concur with what you say about collaborations.  And I have also had the privilige of being "Schlaffenwagen'ed", as others say ... it was such an experience.

Look forward to hearing about and perhaps some music from you re-connction with your good friend.

Good to read your update Bala. Get well soon and hope you get all the stamps you want.

Thank you David and Maggie! There's definitely a lot more to come! I can promise you that! :)

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2019, 10:20:09 pm »
Bala, I see you haven’t posted since January. Hope to hear from you soon. How was your trip home?  Loved reading your RC from the beginning. And happy for your new Strat guitar. It’s beautiful!  You are very talented.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2021, 03:09:01 am »
Oh boy... I guess I haven't updated my road case in over 2 years so this is going to be a massive post. So people who are brave or kind or bored enough, thank you in advance! :)

*Attention* A lot of what I'm going to start with were shared but just not on my road case. So for folks who want to know just the rest of the story, feel free to skip ahead!

Until my last post in 2019

The first massive change that happened after my last Road case update was that I had gone to Japan (a country that I've always wanted to visit) on a business trip. I did take my guitar along but except for the awesome lesson with Justin courtesy of an   amazing collaboration for the previous year's Christmas competition, I didn't do much musically during my time in Japan. However, when I came back to the USA, my life literally changed in Oh so many ways!

I'm going to call the next phase, "New beginnings" 2019 - 2020.

After I had come back from Japan, I was determined that I wanted to take my first few steps into the next stage of my musical journey. To play live. So I immediately signed up for an open mic event that was available at the local music store

Then, Yugo, the sales manager at work (who is an awesome lead guitarist) suggested that I sang and played rhythm guitar for the company's Family day celebrations

Around this time, Yugo had formed a cover band with the bassist from the above video, Patrick, his wife Kimiko and a mutual friend Josh. They were playing at this local restaurant and wanted me to do a solo set at the time of their 3rd gig. But around the time, Patrick said he'd play bass for my set and then another friend of Yugo's was asked to play drums on a couple their songs that they eventually cancelled. So he was glad to join me in my set.

And thus, by the end of the year, I did two other collaborations here, two competition entries here, two more open mics and my very first gig with my newly formed band! 5 o'clock shadow!

1. Collaboration with the Roman
2. 2019's Christmas collab
3. Open mic 2
4. Open mic 3
5. First gig - Feb 2020

And things seemed to go so great and so fast and I was having the time of my life until...

COVID strikes

We were gonna have our second gig at the same restaurant in March and I was getting married in April when COVID started running rampant.
So with live gigs quickly out of our options as quickly as they happened (also in part because the restaurant was closing permanently), the band and I resorted to keep honing our skills through YouTube videos.

This was also the time around which I dedicated myself again to some practice into acquiring skills. I joined vocal lessons, started the lead guitar modules with Justin and was learning so many new songs and instruments as well as getting a little better with production and video production (still have ways to go with everything though). You can check this out through
1. My personal youtube channel with my solo and some collaboration work
2. My band's channel

By the end of the year however, I had COVID halfway through my 2020 Christmas collaboration . This sort of marked a break to my youtube covers.

2021 - Newer beginnings

In February 2021, I got married to my long term girlfriend to mark the continuation of 2 whole years of constant changes and this sort of ended my Youtube covers for a good while. A combination of the early married life and the limitations of the 1 bed apartment I was in contributing to this. I also got promoted to Asst. Manager at work and it had limited my time at home drastically. After several days of overtime, work has agreed to let me manage my time better to not be deprived of time away from work though.

However, around this time I was in another band with a power couple and we were writing original material. I continued to do this until COVID meant he lost his job and had to relocate with his wife. We didn't release any of our songs but I did complete some of my original songs later on.

After receiving our vaccinations however, 5 o'clock shadow decided to jam again and we started looking for gigs. We found this cool place called "the Jailhouse" which is the live stage at a pinball place called "rock n roll pinball". We sent our demos here but didn't get the gig. However, the manager said we could do open mics and eventually land the gig with some more experience.

And this brings me to the current phase "The now"

I made my most awaited move to a 3 bed apartment. I was finally able to setup jamming space for the band and also a "studio" for myself.

We jammed a couple of times but my bassist's daughter had COVID so we decided we won't get back to it until the children get their vaccines. We might do online covers but no gigs or open mics.

Also, I have started learning Piano from my vocal coach. And one other important and interesting part of journey was the adult rock camp that I did through my local music store (where I take my vocal and piano lessons). It was an awesome experience where I learnt a lot about live performance and gear. And I learnt how to place the shaker and tambourine. I also made new musician friends and we have been thinking about jamming too.

Adult rock camp

But in the last two weeks there have been no jams. So I was able get into working on my original ideas and songs.

The whole original playlist
1. Something new
2. Jack of all trades
3. Travel back in time (stripped down)
4. Don't you hear me wailing?
5. Her light
6. Life (instrumental)
7. Travel back in time (retro)

As for my targets:

I'm going back to lead guitar lessons, will also try to get into some modules and lessons to improve rock techniques and skills. There's also heaps of songs I want to transcribe. I'm going to focus on balancing my time between my band, originals and getting back to posting here and learning guitar. :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2021, 05:40:08 am »
It's lovely to see you here Bala. 

Congratulations to you and your wife on your marriage.

Congratulations on your move into a 3 bed apartment where you have your own studio.

Congratulations on your promotion.

You are surely adding to your range of musical expression with vocal and piano lessons. The life of your band/s appears to be taking on vitality and purpose and your network of musical people expands in a wondrous way.

You seem to be thriving, may there be so much more for you.

Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 211
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2021, 10:41:03 am »
Congratulations on all of your achievements, you’ve been doing so well!
Married - wow! Well done buddy, the right thing to do I’m sure 👍
Your songwriting is really coming on, your tuition is paying off!
Don’t go away for so long again, you’ve been missed!

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2021, 10:58:58 am »
Hi Bala - great to have you back in the fold and sharing your highs and lows.
Congratulations on your marriage and all else that brings you happiness.
Cool music studio - I hope to hear more from you soon.
:)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 139
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2021, 11:32:20 am »
Hi Bala good to have you back and really interesting to read the ups and down of the last couple of years.. Musically though it looks like you've really made progress in getting out there and playing with others. Congratulation on getting married and look forward to seeing more of you around.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2021, 09:34:23 pm »
Bala the Boulevard aint so broken right now it would seem.

So pleased you were finally able to get hitched, after all the heartache of separation. Really happy for you.
Congrats on all the gigs and band formations, even with the ups and down all good experience and I am sure you will reform when the time and conditions are right. All the courses and learning looks to be paying dividends, so I look hearing more about your successes.

BTW I have your playlist trickling in the background, some good stuff so far. Jack of All Trades first verse, do I detect Jimi style vox there my man ? Nice. And the Rock Camp looked fun !!

All the best my friend, stay safe and well.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 400
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2021, 06:37:48 am »
Bala, congrats to you and your wife on the marriage. I wish you everything of the best.

Some ups and downs over the last while, but you keep on growing and learning.  The studio setup looks fabulous. I'm guess an apartment is not what I might imagine it to be or somebody laying down a groove on a drum kit would not go well with the neighbours.

I listened to your playlist on SC. Some cool sounding songs there. Like Toby said, I heard a little of Jimi's influence channeling through your strat in a few places.

Keep on rocking and I hope you'll have time between wife, work, music to stop by here every now and then.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2021, 03:45:39 pm »
It's lovely to see you here Bala. 

Congratulations to you and your wife on your marriage.

Congratulations on your move into a 3 bed apartment where you have your own studio.

Congratulations on your promotion.

You are surely adding to your range of musical expression with vocal and piano lessons. The life of your band/s appears to be taking on vitality and purpose and your network of musical people expands in a wondrous way.

You seem to be thriving, may there be so much more for you.

Thank you so much Maggie! That was an oopsie there. I didn’t want to be in an apartment anymore so I moved into a house now. Now there are no neighbor interferences. I jam in freedom! :) how’s things been with you?

Congratulations on all of your achievements, you’ve been doing so well!
Married - wow! Well done buddy, the right thing to do I’m sure 👍
Your songwriting is really coming on, your tuition is paying off!
Don’t go away for so long again, you’ve been missed!

Thank you Darrell! I’ve been trying to keep the learning process consistent and glad to hear it’s paying off. I’ve missed everyone here as well and will try to be consistently present here as well. 🤘🏾

Hi Bala - great to have you back in the fold and sharing your highs and lows.
Congratulations on your marriage and all else that brings you happiness.
Cool music studio - I hope to hear more from you soon.
:)

Thank you Close! I have a lot of plans for the studio so you can definitely expect to hear more. :)

Hi Bala good to have you back and really interesting to read the ups and down of the last couple of years.. Musically though it looks like you've really made progress in getting out there and playing with others. Congratulation on getting married and look forward to seeing more of you around.

Thank you Rossco. The last two years have definitely been a roller coaster ride for most people around the world. But life is a game full of ups and downs. I’m glad to have met so many people through music. I most definitely had plenty of fun along the way. :)

Bala the Boulevard aint so broken right now it would seem.

So pleased you were finally able to get hitched, after all the heartache of separation. Really happy for you.
Congrats on all the gigs and band formations, even with the ups and down all good experience and I am sure you will reform when the time and conditions are right. All the courses and learning looks to be paying dividends, so I look hearing more about your successes.

BTW I have your playlist trickling in the background, some good stuff so far. Jack of All Trades first verse, do I detect Jimi style vox there my man ? Nice. And the Rock Camp looked fun !!

All the best my friend, stay safe and well.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Thank you Toby! Indeed you are right. I’ve had so many fantastic experiences in this time that has taught me a lot. I’m especially confident jamming and playing live these days. It is just an absolute bliss to be able to perform with people (still have the nerves when I perform alone 😅). But yes the learning never stops! Plenty to learn in this world. Especially in this ocean called music.

Jack of all trades was definitely inspired by Jimi and so was Life. I’m glad the inspiration channeled was evident in the track 😊 the rock camp was a ton of fun too. They pretty much had us come together 4 days before the final gig. I’ve always wanted to play at that bar too. For practicing just about 13 hours together we sounded pretty good I felt. Some challenging songs for my vox but I had fun :)

Bala, congrats to you and your wife on the marriage. I wish you everything of the best.

Some ups and downs over the last while, but you keep on growing and learning.  The studio setup looks fabulous. I'm guess an apartment is not what I might imagine it to be or somebody laying down a groove on a drum kit would not go well with the neighbours.

I listened to your playlist on SC. Some cool sounding songs there. Like Toby said, I heard a little of Jimi's influence channeling through your strat in a few places.

Keep on rocking and I hope you'll have time between wife, work, music to stop by here every now and then.

Thank you David! And you’re right on! It is a house. The apartment was a typo on my end 😅 not a noisy neighbor anymore! And totally love my studio. Spend about half my time at home there. Jimi is definitely one of my most influential inspirations. So I’m very happy to get the Jimi references :) I’m definitely going to be more active here. I do have a plan to balance everything so let’s see :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 09:56:34 pm »
Thank you so much Maggie! That was an oopsie there. I didn’t want to be in an apartment anymore so I moved into a house now. Now there are no neighbor interferences. I jam in freedom! :) 

Ahh that makes more sense, even better Bala.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App