Author Topic: Boulevard of broken dreams  (Read 2161 times)

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
    • YouTube
Re: Boulevard of broken dreams
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 04:13:37 pm »
Good stuff, and good read @Balamuthiah! Getting your heart stomped on is the first badge for the blues, overcoming some of the other things in your life gives you the rest of the badges. You are totally in the clear!

We can only offer encouragement at this point, as you are well on your way. Looking forward to being an observer and fan moving forward. 8)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 04:53:11 pm »
Thanks Bala ... should probably have this conversation over in my Road Case  ;)  That said ... I think I would be willing to give it a go, trick is finding a suitable place locally.

Sure will. I plan on reading your road case to completion over this weekend and some others including CT's, Batwoman's etc. if possible. Will be starting some conversations in more posts very soon ;)

Interesting read, now I understand how you have progressed so quickly - you’ve got a better background than I have and you are soon going to get way in front of me; your rhythm guitar already is, I always concentrated on lead; your lead guitar is rapidly improving - stick at it and you will be a great all rounder! Being able to sing is a great asset as is playing harp especially for blues.
You’re definitely ready for open mic or getting into a band, good luck for the future, you definitely deserve it the amount of effort you have put into it shows!
I enjoyed trying to nudge you in the right direction along your path and I think you’ve responded to it very well. I really do hope you get what you want from it, you’re certainly giving it your all!

Lead play relies a lot on rhythm too doesn't it? :) I kinda wanted to be a rhythm guitarist initially since my note picking was not that great and it still needs work. And I'm also quite slow. Stuff that I want to improve on. I will always owe my improvement lead wise so far to all the tips and videos you've given me. I still go by the list I made based on all that. You are definitely THE GUY who shaped my lead play. The guy who inspires me to do improvs follows next ;)

Good stuff, and good read @Balamuthiah! Getting your heart stomped on is the first badge for the blues, overcoming some of the other things in your life gives you the rest of the badges. You are totally in the clear!

We can only offer encouragement at this point, as you are well on your way. Looking forward to being an observer and fan moving forward. 8)

Can't get bluer than that right CT? ;) Why do you want to be an observer when we could just jam together? :D

Thank you all for all the support and encouragement you've always given and continue to give. Now it's time for me to step up the game and improve. Find a band or go open mic but continue the journey either way :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 06:51:16 pm »
So I got the GAS and will be getting my new guitar today. I kinda know what I want. But the only thing I’ve always never known is what should I play to pick my guitar?! The first few guitars I got I just picked out without really playing anything. What do you guys normally play? I don’t know if it’s all right to post this here. If there’s a post or lesson on this do let me know! And your suggestions are more than welcome! :D

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 08:39:45 pm »
So I got the GAS and will be getting my new guitar today. I kinda know what I want. But the only thing I’ve always never known is what should I play to pick my guitar?! The first few guitars I got I just picked out without really playing anything. What do you guys normally play? I don’t know if it’s all right to post this here. If there’s a post or lesson on this do let me know! And your suggestions are more than welcome! :D

Bala, what really got my attention when I bought a better acoustic was the D7 chord. On the guitar I was playing I really didn't like it. When I heard it on my guitar it had extra warmth, loved the tone of it. And that positioned the Fender ahead of the others.

I suggest play songs you enjoy with a range of techniques,  sounds. For you Im sure some Beatles and then maybe some more  ;)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 09:02:45 pm »
Bala, what really got my attention when I bought a better acoustic was the D7 chord. On the guitar I was playing I really didn't like it. When I heard it on my guitar it had extra warmth, loved the tone of it. And that positioned the Fender ahead of the others.

I suggest play songs you enjoy with a range of techniques,  sounds. For you Im sure some Beatles and then maybe some more  ;)

Makes sense David! I think I’ll try out some Beatles and since I’m keen on buying this “Fender” I might try some Hendrix stuff and possibly just riff out my original. Let’s see how it goes 😊 thank you so much for the help!

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 11:42:24 pm »
Bala

I've read this RC a coulpe of times and finally getting time to comment. You've been on a super journey by the sounds of things and given all the influences along the way, you seem to know the direction your heading. All I can say is enjoy the ride, its better than the destination. Man we don't even know if we'll get there but it's the journey that counts.

Cheers

toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 04:34:25 am »
Bala

I've read this RC a coulpe of times and finally getting time to comment. You've been on a super journey by the sounds of things and given all the influences along the way, you seem to know the direction your heading. All I can say is enjoy the ride, its better than the destination. Man we don't even know if we'll get there but it's the journey that counts.

Cheers

toby
 8)

Thank you for reading my road case Toby. Really appreciate the comments. I'm truly enjoying the journey, especially now. Playing music has become sort of a need to me right now and there are very few other times that make me this happy. I want some sort of a destination that I want to reach but any place music takes me is truly my sweet place :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 05:06:06 am »
All right so continuing my road case, today I thought I'll share some stuff about my current practice routine, how GAS got me today, what I ended up buying as well as what I did this week.

First up, practice routine. So there was a time when I went to the gym regularly to lose a hell lot of weight and get fit. The instructor there suggested that to get actually fit, building the core is as important as lifting weights. So the gym routine was to have alternate days lifting weights and doing some core workouts. It yielded phenomenal results at the time. Of course dedication was important, hence I gained it all back.

So I thought, I'd apply that to my guitar practice. Core to me is rhythm and so I do alternate days of rhythm and lead guitar practice now. It's as follows.

Lead days: (Most things with a metronome)
1. Minor pentatonic scale - 5 mins
2. Major scale - 5 mins
3. Blues hybrid scale - 5 mins
I can currently do these at 2 notes per beat at about 100 rpm consistently.
4. Melodic patterns for one scale - 5 mins
5. String muting or minimum movement - 5 mins
6. Bending, unison bends or double stop bends - 5 mins
7. Improv - 5 mins
Total - 35 mins after which I watch some random lessons

Rhythm days:
1. Barre chord shapes - 5 mins
2. One min changes - 5 mins
These strengthen my palm.
3. Intermediate rhythm patterns - 10 mins
4. Bass practice - 5 mins (I started loving bass lately)
5. Note finding using octaves on the Justin app - 5 mins
6. Song practice - 10 mins
Total - 40 mins

And during my breaks at work, I try to improv with my harmonica. Although I don't do it very regularly.
This is my routine for now. Until I start the blues lead guitar course.

Today's GAS

This guitar has been on my mind for ages. But I really had something or the other come up keeping me broke most of the time. But thanksgiving sure is a wonderful holiday! And the GAS finally exploded!

As cliche as it may sound, I always wanted a Stratocaster to be my first serious guitar. However, I've never really bought a guitar after trying a few out. Since as you might have read before, my first two guitars were birthday gifts and I got the third one online. So, with some piece of advice from David, I decided to take the plunge today and drive 40 mins after a long day at work, feeling extremely excited to the guitar center at Montgomery, AL. Greeted by a very nice and friendly guy who was into metal and was ready to talk about anything guitars, I felt even more confident to do this. However, the guitar that I specifically wanted was not at store and had to be shipped in :( And the sadder thing is, nope there is nothing similar that I could try out either. I wanted to try out and get the Fender Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster with the reverse headstock and bridge. However, with the promise of the guy at the store (since he has played several Strats and this was his favorite even though he was not a Strat guy) and also since returns were possible, I went ahead and ordered me one which I could go pick up possibly next Wednesday :) Although, I was disappointed to have not brought it back home with me, the excitement continues.

And as some of you might have checked out, this week I also did a cover of The Beatles' This Boy.
https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/this-boy

Personally I really really enjoyed making this cover. I've always loved the song and knew it in and out. So I did the rhythm in 2 takes (First time I messed up after the bridge). I transcribed the bass lines and I must say it's my favorite bass playing experience so far. And it made me look up to Paul even more for he played and sang the harmonies. Talking about harmonies, I really enjoyed doing this one better than California Dreamin'. I love when the Beatles harmonize and to try and emulate it was very exciting. I'm probably gonna be making more Beatles' covers with harmonies. Overall I was happy with the output and had so much fun in that 3 hours of recording. Oh and the octave lead lines were also fun to do. Forgive me for bragging but I felt this was my best effort at making a cover till date. :) And what's strange is I've been listening to There's a place on repeat for the past two days. Might be tempted to do that next ;) Very underrated Beatles song that. Very lovely.

And also, I will officially be jamming for the first time this week. A coworker's song is a performing musician from Florida. He will be visiting her for thanksgiving this week and so she invited me over for dinner this Friday and jam with him :) I'm very excited again! But very sad that I can't flaunt my new guitar for the jam! :( It's been a very exciting week indeed! Meet you soon with more stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 10:52:55 am »
Congrats on the purchase and on your deferred gratification.

Looks an excellent practice routine.

For Beatles harmonies check out Galeazzo Frudua - he is excellent.

https://www.beatlesvocalharmony.com/

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 12:26:41 pm »
Congrats on the purchase and on your deferred gratification.

Looks an excellent practice routine.

For Beatles harmonies check out Galeazzo Frudua - he is excellent.

https://www.beatlesvocalharmony.com/

Thank you Close! :) And I am aware of Galeazzo Frudua. He is amazing! Didn’t know he had a website though. I came to know him through his YouTube channel.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 03:59:51 pm »
Enjoyed the update, Bala ... love to hear how enthused you are.

Now I am as excited as you about the new guitar, shall wait eagerly for that post and videos to follow.

Practice routines look good.

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 05:13:42 pm »
Thank you David! I think I’ll unpack and try it out immediately after transporting the guitar back home. Gotta think about a name for it. Currently thinking about “Little wing” :D

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 02:45:16 am »
I enjoyed reading your RC Bala.

With your rapid  progress and your great voice i am putting you in the "talented" category . Putting in a lot of hard work in a diligent/focused/structured way to enable rapid progress is a talent in its own right imho.

Looking fwd to follow the rest of your journey.

Cheers
Barend

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 04:02:20 am »
I enjoyed reading your RC Bala.

With your rapid  progress and your great voice i am putting you in the "talented" category . Putting in a lot of hard work in a diligent/focused/structured way to enable rapid progress is a talent in its own right imho.

Looking fwd to follow the rest of your journey.

Cheers
Barend

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Thank you for your kind words Barend! Rapid or slow, some steady progress does sound like a plan :) I’ll give it my all and share it all! :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 04:56:39 am »
What an interesting story Bala. Those bendy fingers of yours ... wow. Are all your joints hypermobile like that? You could have been a gymnast. It seems that guitars keep finding you. Sometimes they sit there waiting patiently for you, other times they jump right in front of you and demand you pick them up. Starting out playing in public as a newbie is a great way to jump start the process, even though it was rocky. It's obvious that when you put your mind to something you fly.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App