Author Topic: Mad World - Beginner - first ever video  (Read 1199 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Mad World - Beginner - first ever video
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 12:05:10 am »
LBro - I have calluses on the tips of my fingers not the pads... is that right? I hope so! I have very tiny hands so it may just look flat cos there's not much hand haha
Ah, that is good to hear and yes, that would be right. Very good then and you well on your way!

LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 02:23:17 am »
It's been a while since I did the beginner modules, but I think Justin recommends doing all down strums with a thin pick until the RUST lessons kick in. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 02:36:33 am »
It's been a while since I did the beginner modules, but I think Justin recommends doing all down strums with a thin pick until the RUST lessons kick in. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Hi CT I have done the first strum lesson and have 5 mins in my practice schedule doing dddud. As I already know DDUUDU from when I was learning guitar about 5 years ago (but right handed guitar) the teacher had me strumming from the start... . I know it's not recommended in Justin's course but I can't help myself haha and naturally try and do more than I should. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be singing along yet either. Naughty me

I do try and step back and take it slow and practice with down strums until I have it right.

You are right tho

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 02:56:25 am »
Wait a minute... in your footer I see you have a STRAT!!! Now then, since your a posting I am challenging you to a vid of you playing that!

As a side note it says something about a 1960.... is that some sort of reissue or a true 1960's Strat???

Thanks,
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 03:09:38 am »
No it's not an original - I wish! So it's a squier strat but done with as 60s throwback here's a picture of my Joanie

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 03:25:53 am by DanniTSI3 »
LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 03:12:51 am »
Ah I can't add a picture. But if you do a google search it will come up! I've got the 3 colour sunburst with tortoise shell plate.

I will do a vid but she's new and I'm still getting used to the bigger fretboard, Lower action, etc.

In hindsight I should have got a full size acoustic when I started out to make the transition easier but ah well!

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 03:20:13 am »
Thanks pilgrim! I think I'm having a few issues with my strumming hand looking at the video. It looks jerky and not very fluid. Thinking I'm arm strumming instead of wrist strumming if that makes sense.

Hey Danni, congratulations  :) Glad you dived in. You've made a good observation about your strumming arm. When you can see and hear things that could be better that's a great way of improving. I like that you aren't hunched over looking at the strings, something that can be very tempting in the beginning, so gold star for that too.  :)  I can see and hear some good things - rhythm, good sense of pitch when the phone isn't distracting you.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 03:23:42 am »
Ah I can't add a picture.

You'll need to sign up to one of the image websites. I use http://imgur.com/  It gives you the code to paste into your message. Check that you have it right with the Preview button.

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 07:43:48 am »
That was really good. Strumming very good I wouldnt worry about your strumming arm or looking at it at this stage. I didn't really notice that you did. You're miles better than I was at 4 months I can't remember if I could sing and play then. You're going to be a good player. 

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:21 pm »
Sounding really good Danni! Nice smooth strumming, and consistent timing. Really great for your first video. I had a thought about your picking, and also noticed the high E string ringing out on up strums - I wonder if you’re holding your pick so tightly that the angle on the up strum impacts the strings you’re playing. You could try a thinner pick, or a looser grip. The problem with the looser grip though is the tendency of the pick to fly away completely ... !

Great job. Welcome to the community, thanks for posting.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 01:32:02 pm »
Sounds pretty good to me, especially bearing in mind how long you have been playing and singing as well!!
Keep at it and keep practicing and learning new songs and posting them and all will be good. I can recommend having a look at some of the Roadcases, especially DavidP they will help you get the best encouragement you need to get to your goal!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 08:56:26 pm »
Sounds pretty good to me, especially bearing in mind how long you have been playing and singing as well!!
Keep at it and keep practicing and learning new songs and posting them and all will be good. I can recommend having a look at some of the Roadcases, especially DavidP they will help you get the best encouragement you need to get to your goal!
Thank you!

Roadcases? Can you explain what this is and where to find the thread? Still learning my way around the site and what is what

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 09:02:54 pm »
Sounding really good Danni! Nice smooth strumming, and consistent timing. Really great for your first video. I had a thought about your picking, and also noticed the high E string ringing out on up strums - I wonder if you’re holding your pick so tightly that the angle on the up strum impacts the strings you’re playing. You could try a thinner pick, or a looser grip. The problem with the looser grip though is the tendency of the pick to fly away completely ... !

Great job. Welcome to the community, thanks for posting.

Mari
Hi Mari!

Im using Jim Dunlop tortek picks (green) . 88mm as I just love the warm sound they make. I was using a really thin nylon pick but hated it but might play around with some thinner ones. Wonder if Jim Dunlop comes any thinner. Will have to look!

I know I'm not gripping my pick too hard ad it ends up in my guitars sound hole all the time!

I think it's the way I'm strumming like my hand is doing an arc away from the guitar on the up strum rather than going straight up so I'm hitting the high E string harder than the rest. Think I'm going to strip back on the strumming for a bit and rewatch Justin's first rhythm strumming lesson again!

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 09:40:28 pm »
Roadcases? Can you explain what this is and where to find the thread? Still learning my way around the site and what is what
Look here, this is a blog of what you have done since starting your learning, it’s a great way of observing your progress!
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?board=92.0
Here is the one I referred to
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 09:43:02 pm »
Well what can I say, feeling on cloud nine after hearing all of your responses. What a fantastic supportive community.

Told ya  :)

Road Cases? Go to the Home page, scroll down to Social Area. Here's DavidP's RC that Darrell recommended https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

Get The Forum As A Mobile App