Author Topic: Taylor GS Mini - Set Up  (Read 291 times)

Offline DanniTSI3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
Taylor GS Mini - Set Up
« on: November 05, 2018, 05:59:52 am »
Hi All,

So I've been learning for about 5 months on my lefty Taylor GS Mini. It has all been going relatively well, however I recently purchased a Fender Strat, and ok I know its electric, but OMG the action and light strings just feels like playing on air hahaha! I cant get over the difference and in comparison I now feel my mini is quite a challenge to play.

This got me to thinking, I should probably get the strings on my mini swapped out for a lighter gauge as I still have the original strings on it, which probably need changing in anycase as they've been on for an age. I'm thinking the action on my mini is also quite high as in general I'm finding it difficult to play for long periods and barre chords - forget about it.

I went to my local guitar shop and they said that GS minis, because of the 3/4 size that they are fitted with heavier strings to compensate the shorter neck so the tension needed to keep the neck in the right position. They suggested they fit the strings in the first instance so that they can adjust the trussrod and set it up correctly (assuming here I can ask for the action to be set to low as possible). After that I can change the strings myself (with the same gauge).

So my question is, does this seem right? Just asking before I part with $100.

Has anyone else had problems with this guitar? Needed the trussrod reset? Changed the string gauge? Have experience in guitar set up? Any issues with the playability of this instrument? Basically anyone with any knowledge whatsoever haha

Thanks in advance
My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Taylor GS Mini - Set Up
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 06:05:49 am »
A bit above my guitar maintenance grade, Danielle, but sounds reasonable to me.  Can't comment on the price, maybe Batwoman can?

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:45:53 pm »
My first setup was done by a top notch tech here in LA. I figure I paid $100 for a chance to hang out a bit and talk about guitar setups, strings & such and build a relationship with an excellent tech. The actual setup was free at that point.  ;)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:10:34 pm »
I went to my local guitar shop and they said that GS minis, because of the 3/4 size that they are fitted with heavier strings to compensate the shorter neck so the tension needed to keep the neck in the right position. They suggested they fit the strings in the first instance so that they can adjust the trussrod and set it up correctly (assuming here I can ask for the action to be set to low as possible). After that I can change the strings myself (with the same gauge).

So my question is, does this seem right? Just asking before I part with $100.

Has anyone else had problems with this guitar? Needed the trussrod reset? Changed the string gauge? Have experience in guitar set up? Any issues with the playability of this instrument? Basically anyone with any knowledge whatsoever haha

Thanks in advance
It's actually 7/8, not 3/4. ;)

Yes, the Minis have thicker strings, but many of their guitars have. I would keep them. The guitar sounds best with these strings IMO.

The GS Mini, like most if not all the Taylor guitars since 2009 or whatever have a proprietary neck system that can only be adjusted by an authorized Taylor repairman.

I had this done to my Mini about 2 years after buying it. It wasn't unplayable but it was a little high for my liking. It took the repairman about 10 minutes to adjust it and it hasn't needed any more adjustments 2 years after that.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline DanniTSI3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 11:31:23 pm »
It's actually 7/8, not 3/4. ;)

Haha - see I know jack about jack!

Yes, the Minis have thicker strings, but many of their guitars have. I would keep them. The guitar sounds best with these strings IMO.

The GS Mini, like most if not all the Taylor guitars since 2009 or whatever have a proprietary neck system that can only be adjusted by an authorized Taylor repairman.

Can you explain what a proprietary neck system is?

I had this done to my Mini about 2 years after buying it. It wasn't unplayable but it was a little high for my liking. It took the repairman about 10 minutes to adjust it and it hasn't needed any more adjustments 2 years after that.

So are you suggesting that I perhaps get it checked out by a Taylor repairer to get the action adjusted and leave the strings?

I understand what you are saying about the tone being compromised by lighter strings, but at the moment as a beginner I'm less concerned with tone than I am with just learning to play. TBH my ears need a lot of exposure before I think I'll be able to appreciate different (or better tone)... does that make sense?

My hands really hurt playing the mini for any longer than about 40 mins. I have callus build up on my fingertips after playing everyday for the last 4-5 months so I'm really trying to assess whether I can make it more playable for my beginner-ness.

Thank you so much for your advice though. Something to think about for sure.
LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:48:47 pm »
Their proprietary neck system is called the NT neck system and it uses wooden shims to alter the angle at the neck-body joint (either 12th or 14th fret). It allows to retain the break angle of the strings over the saddle as well as the neck relief (as set by the truss rod).

So yes, I would suggest having an actual Taylor repairman have a look at it. I've had amazing experience with them (I own multiple Taylor guitars).

Your fingers are gonna hurt whether you put lighter strings on it or not. I'm certain having it set-up will make all the difference. I know because I've had various people play the guitar and nobody ever complained about the strings being too heavy.

On these lower-priced instruments it's a lot more likely the set-up isn't spot-on as it is with their more expensive models. I certainly found this to be the case.
Production and mixing

Offline DanniTSI3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 12:49:13 am »
Ok I will heed your advice!

BTW the Taylor GS Mini is around or over $1,000 here in Australia! Lucky for me my husband travels to America for work once a year and I get him to pick me up guitars while he is there. Even with the crappy exchange rate and taxes guitars are a few hundred dollars cheaper in the US.
LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 07:06:18 pm »
It's all really expensive. But over the years they've established themselves in the acoustic guitar market and you pay a premium for it. I'm OK with it because I know I'll be taken care of as a customer after I spent the cash.
Production and mixing

Offline DanniTSI3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 10:58:18 pm »
Well as a beginning I've changed the strings (same gauge) as will get a set up in the next few months. Have expensive few months with Xmas.

I measured to action at the 12th fret and it's 5.5mm so I'm thinking it needs adjusting in any event.

I think in the meantime I'm going to swap to my strat. I need to get used to the bigger neck/frets anyway!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 06:20:32 pm »
Well as a beginning I've changed the strings (same gauge) as will get a set up in the next few months. Have expensive few months with Xmas.

I measured to action at the 12th fret and it's 5.5mm so I'm thinking it needs adjusting in any event.
I got my first neck reset for free. I mean, it's literally 10 minutes of work.

5.5mm is like too high two times over. Action at the 12th fret under the big E string should be about 2.4mm and 1.6mm under the thin E.
Production and mixing

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 06:53:07 pm »
I got my first neck reset for free. I mean, it's literally 10 minutes of work.

Only on Taylors with NT necks. Anything else takes a while longer ;)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 08:27:20 pm »
Only on Taylors with NT necks. Anything else takes a while longer ;)
That's quite the understatement. ;D
Production and mixing

Offline DanniTSI3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:00 pm »
Cue I've had the guitar for over 2 years and purchased overseas so don't think I'll get a freebie unforts

I've found an authorised Taylor tech so I might give them a call today.

I love my mini but am now realising my poor hands are likely working doubley hard. I get a sore fretting hand if I play too long so it's in my best interests to get it fixed!

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 09:29:27 pm »
Cue I've had the guitar for over 2 years and purchased overseas so don't think I'll get a freebie unforts
I got in touch with the distributor that also did setups and repairs. I bought it in a store two years earlier and didn't contact them once in the process. No biggie.
Production and mixing

Offline DanniTSI3

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 10:41:20 am »
Well she's if for a set up. Can't wait to see how she is after!

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Get The Forum As A Mobile App