Author Topic: New laptop needed  (Read 151 times)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
New laptop needed
« on: November 03, 2018, 03:49:05 pm »
Howdy folks,

My trusty Toshiba started dropping signal to the visual outputs and I thought it was a good time to replace it after 7.5 years of very reliable and intensive usage. It had 4 GB of RAM, which was the most it could have, and I started running out of memory increasingly often as time went on. The processor in it was an early mobile i5, with two cores and four threads clocked at 2.4GHz. It held up surprisingly well over the years.

I'll be running it hard and often, maybe 10 hours a day at times. I will be running REAPER on it sometimes, for recording and mixing on location. However, I need it most for design and web development. I'll be using stuff from the Adobe suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, maybe InDesign) and will be running a code editor (VSCode), a browser (Firefox), a Node server and a Git GUI (GitKraken). With the OS added in, I'll probably be using more than 4 GB of RAM. On paper, 8 GB should be enough, but I highly doubt that will be enough for long.

When I started looking I initially found the Lenovo ThinkPad E585 which is basically the E580 but with an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U processor and expandable RAM up to 32GB. I then found the Asus Zenbook UX430UA line which is smaller and lighter (which is nice) and has a better screen. I was looking at the version with an i7-8550U and 16GB of RAM. I would take an i5-8250U gladly but there's no version with 16GB RAM. I'm not sure if the non-Pro Zenbook is suitable for my use case, so I started looking at the 2017-2018 middle of the line Mac Book Pro 13 or the Dell XPS 15. That said, my budget doesn't quite reach up to their 16 GB RAM models.

Storage is not an issue. 256 GB SSD would be fine. I have a desktop with a 1TB HDD in it and stil have room for a few more.

I can check reviews but they're always done straight out of the box so there's not much information about reliability and longevity.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
CZ
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
    • Ezyo Music
Re: New laptop needed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:09:08 pm »
I made my decision. I'm going Dell XPS 13 9370. :)
Production and mixing

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 02:29:42 pm »
I made my decision. I'm going Dell XPS 13 9370. :)

Good for you, Cue ... beyond me to offer comments on such things :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 397
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 12:19:50 pm »
I'm very happy with my Dell Inspiron so I'm sure it'll be good for you.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 88
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 02:03:57 pm »
I'm choosing Dell because I trust Apple even less. And I've heard from a few people on Reddit and one friend they wouldn't recommend a 2017 MacBook Pro or Apple in general. I know two people who deliberately went with the Dell XPS 15 and they seem to be very happy with it.

The XPS 15 is specced a lot higher but I already have a desktop that will still outperform it. So why bother, right? That's why I'm settling on the XPS 13. It's small, light, doesn't have too bad of specifications and has respectable battery life.

They're just giving two years of warranty, which is kind of bad news.
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App