Author Topic: Guitar Challenge XXIII - Ballad Indie Folk Guitar Backing Track 80 BPM in D Maj  (Read 1226 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Clint, David, enjoyed both your attempts, very well done.
I'm travelling on business so no time to properly comment and no guitars to play here, but I liked what I heard :)

Fox, appreciate you stopping by and taking time to listen and comment while on the road.  Glad you liked it  :)

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
@Balamuthiah, thanks for the kind words as always! I wouldn't use the word expert, but it's certainly a lofty goal to achieve. Looking forward to hearing your track.

Thank you @DavidP! It's funny I was working on "6th Avenue Heartache" last week because I really dig the vibe, but the words are just a bit too nonsensical in some sections for me to carry through with it. So when I came across this backing track I had to play around with it. Glad you and others have had a nice go at it.

@Fox Cunning, thanks for the listen and the like! Looking forward to hearing your take on it as well.

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
Clint, thank you for taking care of the weekly jam. Very nice choice of a track! It was calling for some bridagie tones ;)

Here’s my take, half asleep and exhausted :D I forgot the fade out and cut the rest of the track. Listen to first 4 minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/omarmt/strong-again-ot

Guitar: Stratocaster - bridge pickup - volume 8 - tone 4
Effects: preamp/boost 12 o’clock - overdrive 3 o’clock

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Clint, thank you for taking care of the weekly jam. Very nice choice of a track! It was calling for some bridagie tones ;)

Here’s my take, half asleep and exhausted :D I forgot the fade out and cut the rest of the track. Listen to first 4 minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/omarmt/strong-again-ot

Guitar: Stratocaster - bridge pickup - volume 8 - tone 4
Effects: preamp/boost 12 o’clock - overdrive 3 o’clock

Omar, some great phrases and melodic ideas, tones and (unlike me) you took a breath every now and then :)  Good job on this challenge.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
@Omar, there's some really nice phrases and tone in there, and that was a sweet bend in the beginning -- so nicely done. Nice interplay with the twiddly bits in the backing track. Giving your part some space and air was spot on. You sort of let the band take over in the end though. :)

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 61
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
Omar, some great phrases and melodic ideas, tones and (unlike me) you took a breath every now and then :)  Good job on this challenge.

Thank you so much David :) I'm learning to breathe, doesn't always work ;D

Phrasing is a challenge, I'm still struggling to become good at it.

@Omar, there's some really nice phrases and tone in there, and that was a sweet bend in the beginning -- so nicely done. Nice interplay with the twiddly bits in the backing track. Giving your part some space and air was spot on. You sort of let the band take over in the end though. :)

Thanks a lot Clint :) Maybe the bend is the best part in the entire track lol. The rest are just pentatonic notes. The tone sounded better through the amp, that's why I enjoyed it more.

Many thanks my friend. I'll listen to your takes soon. I'm sure I'll learn from your tracks :)

Online Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
  • It's all in the mind!
https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/bring-back-the-90s-jam-in-d

I'm late but definitely not great! :D Some experiments on this with bending in major scale, abusing triads, pickups and some muted rhythm play to garnish :D It may not sound very coherrent but it definitely sounded like the 90's!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App