Author Topic: Guitar Challenge XXIII - Ballad Indie Folk Guitar Backing Track 80 BPM in D Maj  (Read 2431 times)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
It's getting awfully quiet in here! How about a backing track jam?

EDIT: The title says 80 BPM but I'm getting 161 BPM on my machine. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:44:31 am by CT »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Thanks Clint

Now I am spoiled for choice :)

Last week I did jam 5, over Justin's challenge.  This week I was planning his blues challenge but will give this one a go.

Have to say again, I am loving the weekly jam.  And it is interesting that just doing this once a week and noodling over scales as part of a guitar session in the week, is delivering improvement, both my own sense and confirmed by listener feedback.

Appreciate you and Omar taking time to put up the tracks, as well as playing and commenting.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
I'm right there with you DP. These challenges really keep the creative juices flowing don't they? They also help build end-to-end skills:
* Conceptualize an idea or direction in which to take a particular chord progression
* Learn to "hack" a song by ear or with readily available tools. What's the key, time signature, etc? What are the chords?
* Apply a style, genre, scale or mode. Play around with tone.
* Apply whatever "thing(s)" you are currently studying. These can be strumming open chords, bar chords, arpeggios, power chords, triads, double-stops, riffs, bends (or other clichés), etc.
* Record, mix, and release. You can't track your improvement if you don't record some music. The end-to-end process should be both humbling and encouraging. 8)

Backing track challenges have been a big help for me. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm farther along than I was a few short months ago. And I've identified the things that I really need to work on to get better.   

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
It has been quiet here so much so that I was thinking about posting a backing track myself. Had an interesting idea from one of Justin's DVD lessons to Jam over a one chord backing track. Sounded very interesting to me.

The challenges have effected me in a positive manner too. I've felt myself improving with better timing, choice of notes, spacing, tone etc. That said, I kinda missed out on my practice routine lately with more focus on making songs and doing improvs. Which isn't too bad but is bad. So I went back into a new practice routine. I'm putting focus on scales with metronome, muting techniques, learning new licks and legato picking. Another reason I feel this is necessary is because I tend to revisit my improvs (a lot actually). Although I find myself improving, it seems as though my "vocabulary" is very limited and I tend to just do the same thing over and over. So forgive me if I'm late on this one but I'll definitely be there! :)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 129
How to download, please.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
Copy the youtube link and paste it into a youtube to mp3 converter such as: https://ytmp3.cc/. Download and then drag and drop the mp3 into your DAW.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
Copy the youtube link and paste it into a youtube to mp3 converter such as: https://ytmp3.cc/. Download and then drag and drop the mp3 into your DAW.

Thanks for the link, Clint, I'll try that next time.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
Another fun time, getting to grips with the scale up and down the neck, trying to get a feel for the backing and then doing best to follow Clint's rally cry "let 'er rip"

So here's me letting rip ... couple of fumbles and one accidental wrong note (which is not to say anything about sour notes  ;) )

It's long ... if you haven't the will power and stamina to listen all the way, I think a decent bit is the minute or so from about 3'30"  :D

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/gc-xxiii-20181003

PS And while over on my SC why not check out the re-posts of Alida Jo and Fenchurch, good stuff from my work colleagues

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
Some very good techniques like hammer ons and pull offs and some very good ideas in there David. Good job. As for improvement I’d suggest giving it some space to breathe since it’s 7 mins long. Seemed like you hardly missed a beat! But good one overall the bad notes didn’t really matter :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
I kept this one simple, but couldn't help thinking about "6th Avenue Heartache", hence the title:
The Same Black Line

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
Beautiful CT. You are an expert with the harmonica it sounds like too! Some amazing blend of guitar and harmonica. Love it.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 71
    • YouTube
Sounded good, DP! You were on time and keep a steady flow of notes. I like that you took some chances with bends and such. I'm going to echo Bala a bit in that I really liked the flurry of hammer-ons/pull-offs, but that you needed a little bit of air or just carry some sustained notes for a little longer in spots. Much to like my friend! I felt you letting 'er rip, which is always cool. 8)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
I kept this one simple, but couldn't help thinking about "6th Avenue Heartache", hence the title:
The Same Black Line

Fine playing, Clint, harmonica added to guitar, unexpected bonus. Great feel and vibe. Most enjoyable.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
Bala/Clint, appreciate the feedback. I think I got a little lost in the loop and carried away  ;) Will be more conscious of adding some space next time round.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 63
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
Clint, David, enjoyed both your attempts, very well done.
I'm travelling on business so no time to properly comment and no guitars to play here, but I liked what I heard :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App