Author Topic: Boss eband devices  (Read 170 times)

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
Boss eband devices
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:54:50 am »
Hi all

Does anyone use a boss eband device.
If so when you change the pitch of one of the stock chord progressions does the sound become  choppy / warbley.

Jono

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: Boss eband devices
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:30:27 pm »
I use a JS-8 almost daily.

And, yes, changing the pitch will cause the sound to distort, as will changing the tempo (or using the speed change in the phrase trainer).

The chord progressions are, basically, sample loops. Any time you pitch-shift or change the tempo of a sample it will cause some sort of distortion, and the more you deviate from the primary pitch/tempo, the more it will distort.

Unfortunately there's no way around this with the sampling technology used by the eBand systems. Bear in mind these are designed primarily as training tools.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:25:53 pm »
Thanks, I got a used js-10 and was wondering if it was OK.

What a great device though, completely addictive and makes it so much easier to learn new songs. I have finally started to record myself too as it is so simple to do.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:20:34 pm »
Yeah, they are pretty good. I've had the JS-8 for quite a while now.

I was considering an upgrade to the JS-10 because it has far better speakers (the JS-8 speakers are rubbish) but there's a couple of things on the JS-10 they've changed from the JS-8 that I don't like, and it occurred to me that I almost always use the JS-8 with headphones anyway.

I'm not sure if you've got that far into using it, but you can stick your own tracks onto it using the eBand Song List Editor (either connecting the unit directly with USB, or putting the CF card into a PC). The editor is rather clunky and old-fashioned, but if you have some backing tracks or songs you want to learn, it's well worth spending a bit of time working out how to do this.

I have uploaded a range of stuff from the built-in loops and additional eBand tracks to backing tracks, training exercise loops, and the occasional full mp3.

The other thing I find useful is the "patch sync" that lets you configure the patch you want to use for a given track, so it auto-selects it next time you select that song.

I also the the A-B loop all the time.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 03:33:37 pm »
Thanks, I have been using all that, the patch sync is great.
I keep meaning to try and use it properly and work on my blues rhythm course but with such easy access to songs, slow downer and loop function all with no screen savers I have learnt six songs in the two weeks I have had it.
All it is missing is a connection to songsterr.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App