Author Topic: Pocket Amps  (Read 1741 times)

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
Pocket Amps
« on: October 25, 2018, 04:16:35 pm »
Picked up a Donner Heavy Metal pocket amp for practicing on the couch and on the fly. According to the Donner site the tone is designed to approximate a Soldano SLO100, which is an amp sim that I don't have, so I pulled the trigger on it. Looks to be a knockoff or rebranded version of the Valeton Rushead Metal amp, but $10 US cheaper.

Still putting it through its paces, tone and controls are fine and it fits the bill for the intended purpose. My one nit is that it tends to pop out if inserted at certain angles, and it turns into a screaming meemie when it pops out. Haven't settled into the best angle for it yet. Hard to get too picky about an item that costs $20 US. Knowing what I know now, I might still get this one from Monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611700

Tell us about your pocket amp, what you like or don't like about it.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 58
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
Re: Pocket Amps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 07:24:53 pm »
Clint, let us know how that sounds/feels. Even better, post some audio/video :D

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:16:25 pm »
I was thinking about doing that. There aren't any examples out there to draw from. I'm kind of hunkered down right now with learning new stuff and have little free time. I think my web activities, backing track challenges and such are about to take a back seat.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 04:41:45 pm »
This is a fun little amp that has a lot of grit to the tone. Having a blast with it and can play or practice just about anywhere in the house. You have to use some caution with these as they can really blast your ears out. Make sure the volume on your guitar and the amp are set low before you put your headphones on. Yikes!

I wasn't able to record with it. I ran a line from the headphone jack into a 3.5mm female to 6.3mm male adapter and into my audio interface. A little bit of crackle is all I could muster. That was a bit of a disappointment.   

EDIT: Looks like the best I can do is run the headphone out line into the AUX in of my Mustang amp and then mic it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 05:14:38 pm by CT »

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 58
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 08:39:40 pm »
I wasn't able to record with it. I ran a line from the headphone jack into a 3.5mm female to 6.3mm male adapter and into my audio interface. A little bit of crackle is all I could muster. That was a bit of a disappointment.
That's weird :O
Can you test your adapter cable/plug with something else? Or maybe you used a stereo adapter - which should work anyway, but I guess you never know...

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 147
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 08:59:51 pm »
When it comes to pocket amps; I was impressed by the vox amplug 2 Metal.
you need headphones for that but it's excellent for rock and metal practice.
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 58
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 12:12:57 am »
Phew, just got back home and need to catch up with the forums, I shall start here.

A little test-drive of my Valeton Rushead Metal pocket amp D.I.-ed with no added effects.

I'm sure you'll forgive the crappy video quality and my nervous playing - after over a week without a guitar I was itching to play and worried that my already limited skills would fail me.

I'm liking this little amp. Wouldn't mind using it at a gig if it could drive a big enough speaker. And if I had a gig, of course ;D

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 02:37:27 am »
Sounded really good to me Fox! The tone is identical to the Donner. The Valeton site doesn't mention the Soldano amp by name but it seems to have the same crunch as well. Nice playing! 

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 05:23:49 am »
Great sounds and playing Fox ... would love to be so limited  ;)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App