Author Topic: Transcribing via pencil advantages over guitar pro?  (Read 137 times)

Offline kaktusas2598

• Good Vibes 0
Transcribing via pencil advantages over guitar pro?
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:54:36 am »
Hey Guys, I am not sure if this is correct place to ask this, let me know. But I began transcribing couple months ago, and did like 10 pieces (licks, melodies, simple songs) on paper, but now I switched to using guitar pro, because I can enter rhythm and it makes it so much faster. I would like to know if it is really that bad to transcribe into computer? Like, is writing tab with pencil on paper has any advantages? I find it much easier to play something from guitar pro tab, seeing rhythm and everything, than trying to decipher my own handwriting, lol. I also used guitar pro to enter all licks from blues course for my own reference.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
Re: Transcribing via pencil advantages over guitar pro?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:31:23 am »
Personally I prefer using Guitar Pro for transcribing too.

As you say, it makes it easy to capture the rhythm. Of course, if you know score well enough you could also capture this using a pencil, but most people probably don't do this when they start transcribing.

Another benefit is you can play back what you've transcribed to check if it's correct.

My feeling is that using Guitar Pro doesn't detract from the process of transcribing in general, as long as using the tool isn't getting in the way of the transcribing process, for instance, by slowing you down or frustrating you. Personally, I've learned a lot of keyboard shortcuts which allow me to capture notes and navigate the score quite quickly.

I think the main benefit of transcribing is in the listening and understanding how to map what you are hearing to the guitar. Capturing that into tab is a secondary benefit which helps you to understand and read tab quickly.

I would argue that using Guitar Pro gives you another benefit: an understanding of rhythmic notation, as you have to understand and be able to read rhythmic notation in order to transcribe using it, which you can get away without knowing when capturing tab with pencil and paper.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App