Author Topic: High E string trouble bending.  (Read 2745 times)

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
High E string trouble bending.
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:55:04 am »
I recently put a new bridge, neck, and tuners on my old guitar. While it sounds a lot better for some reason I have to bend the string way beyond reason to get them to bend a full step. On the high E I basically can't get it a full step unless I bend all the way to touching the low E

My other guitar which has a Floyd rose that is blocked to make it a hardtail. I got the same gauge strings on it 10-46 and it's like I barely have to bend the strings to get them to pitch. It has Jumbo frets, I don't know if that makes a difference?

My guitar I'm having problems with has a Wilkinson vintage tremolo which I blocked. I got cheap locking tuners from aliexpress [ maybe that is the problem]. I didn't like the locking mechanism though so I strung them the regular way. I cut the preslotted nut myself to get the right hight for the nut. I can't figure out why the strings won't bend to pitch? The only things I can think of is possibly the tuners are moving slightly while I bend, but I can't notice it, or that perhaps there is a slight unevenness with the bridge so that the string is traveling a shorter distance as I bend it up, but I don't see how that would happen since the contact point stays the same at the bridge.

I appreciate any help. This is my first go at working on a guitar. Otherwise, it sounds pretty good for a guitar with 20$ pickups and electronics and a 30$ neck lol

Offline jono

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 26
Re: High E string trouble bending.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 06:57:18 pm »
Are the two necks the same scale length. A shorter length could have less string tension which could possibly mean more movement to bend. ( it's a guess though, I don't know for certain what the effect would be ).

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:37:15 pm »
Time to call in a pro. Take it down to a local guitar tech. This is especially true since you've done some DIY work on the guitar. Something seems wrong.

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 03:40:44 am »

I just measured it and it's the same from the nut to the 12 twelveth fret at 12 3/4 inches. Got the same distance to the bridge.

I asked a guitar tech about it [ he didn't see the guitar] and he had no clue.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:45:09 am »
I would get a second opinion from a tech that is willing to look at the guitar.

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:14:31 pm »
I might take it down to a tech. It's not something I'm willing to pay money for as the whole idea of the guitar is to learn how to repair a guitar myself, and the guitar really isn't worth much at all. The neck was 30$ and the pickups with the pots, switch and face plate were 20$

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 640
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 11:29:07 pm »
Physics is fairly simple here. A string will only need a set amount of 'bend' to increase the tension a prerequisite amount to reach pitch a semitone or tone higher.
If the string is having to travel further then something else must be moving.
Or the strings still have a lot of 'slack' in them.
Have you stretched the strings out?
The bridge is the obvious candidate for a movement.
You say it is blocked - are you 100%?
Did you tighten the springs, use a wood block?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:49:50 am by close2u »

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 12:18:03 am »
Oh, you'll learn something if the tech is any good. I learn things all the time from my tech. Money well spent. No body rolls out of bed knowing how to build, repair, and/or setup guitars.

Offline willferral

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 05:17:46 am »
^True enough. I learned a good way to lower the nut from a tech who was kind enough to show me how he did it.

I think I may have solved this mystery myself, though, lol. A bit of a duh moment on my part, lol. It may be the strings were slipping under my finger giving the impression I had to bend further. My regular guitar has jumbo frets and bends like butter, but this one has small little frets and I think that is what made the difference.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App