Author Topic: Batwoman's Road Case  (Read 13994 times)

Offline Rufusragatip

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
Re: Batwoman's Road Case
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2018, 12:12:53 pm »
Hi,

Batwoman - with your outlook on life and your inner strength - nearly 70 may as well be nearly 30, and as has already been mentioned - you, just like several others here, are an inspiration.
You, Ma'am, are one in a million.

Kind regards,
Rufus
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2018, 12:39:48 pm »
Wow Maggie! I can totally relate to the paralyzing fear you felt, and the relief that came from beating that.

You possess a really amazing talent. Your singing is beyond excellent and so enjoyable to listen to. I'm glad you're letting it loose. You're an inspiration in so many ways. The work you do with animals, the ability to learn and do things out of your comfort zone, and your kindness to everyone on the forum. You're almost too cool. ;)

Lynn

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2018, 09:21:12 pm »
Maggie, I am inspired and amazed at your wonderful story. I am not surprised that you came through and took yourself to the place you wanted / needed to be. Nor am I surprised that you had the help, encouragement and full support of your forum friends in achieving this dream.

Marvelous, marvellous, marvellous.
:)
Thankyou dear Richard, you are such a treasure. I hope your new ventures are meeting all your needs.

I hope my opening sentence didn't cause you consternation  :) and thanks for not deleting my post  ;D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2018, 09:22:14 pm »
Hi,

Batwoman - with your outlook on life and your inner strength - nearly 70 may as well be nearly 30, and as has already been mentioned - you, just like several others here, are an inspiration.
You, Ma'am, are one in a million.

Kind regards,
Rufus

With you medical history you know all about determination and grit Rufus. Your words bring tears to my eyes. Bless.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:58:13 am by batwoman »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27:12 pm »
Wow Maggie! I can totally relate to the paralyzing fear you felt, and the relief that came from beating that.

You possess a really amazing talent. Your singing is beyond excellent and so enjoyable to listen to. I'm glad you're letting it loose. You're an inspiration in so many ways. The work you do with animals, the ability to learn and do things out of your comfort zone, and your kindness to everyone on the forum. You're almost too cool. ;)

Lynn

Aaah Lynn I'm tearing up again. How kind you are, thankyou. I sure am on a good home run to being 70 right now. Music and musical buddies with whom to share, isn't this the best?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:18:09 am by batwoman »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 112
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2018, 11:28:59 pm »
Drugs, pain and a lack of sleep ….  stoned in charge of a mic …. hey it worked for me.

It seems I’ve embraced the rock ’n roll life style.  8)

Mods before you reach for the delete button, let me explain.

Today November 25, 2018 marks a happy day for me.  The collaboration with Roman and Kevin is done and posted for the community to hear.

I was dumb struck that Roman would invite me, but this golden opportunity was too good to turn down. Despite my huge reservations, I swallowed my fears and doubts and plunged into what was to become a transformative and ultimately triumphant journey for me.

I’ve never had any interest in recording. I knew absolutely nothing about any of it and didn’t want to know. In order to be part of the collab I had to learn how to use Reaper. A few weeks down the track, it was apparent that I needed to buy and learn how to use some good recording gear.  The first month was dreadful. I had migraines, meltdowns and more tantrums than a toddler who’d been drinking red cordial. LBro came to the rescue. With patience and humour he coached me and got me to a point where I could make and render a recording.

I’ve struggled. It’s been challenging and hard. But I didn’t give up!

On a deeper level it’s been a painful, dark, dreadful personal inner journey that’s accompanied me every step of the way. Self-doubt and despair almost crushed me at points. In sticking with the project, I’ve finally triumphed over the demons that have dogged me through this process and through most of my life. DavidP has been an empathetic, encouraging friend through all of this, believing in me when I couldn’t.

I reached a turning point. I’d been working on a vocal track for a couple of weeks, learning how to use a mic, how to sing without my guitar, trying to figure out how to let out what I could hear inside my head. I wasn’t happy with anything I recorded. More self-doubt and despair. Roman was waiting for my tracks. I didn’t want to let him and Cagn down or delay the project. I was so stressed and anxious about it all I developed a severe migraine that wouldn’t go away. I’d decided that Sunday was the day I had to get the tracks to Roman. Went to bed Saturday night with a head full of pain. Lay awake till 2am, decided I had to take the drugs my doctor had prescribed (breathe now mods). I was still awake at 7am and still in pain, so thought ‘ I have to get these tracks done today. I want to send tracks, not excuses. I can’t sing like this or my head will explode’ so I took more drugs.

Feeling decidedly odd and wobbly, but determined I’d get the takes done, I set myself up for recording. Through the next couple of hours, every lawn mower in my village roared to life, the neighbour’s dogs decided I needed barking vocalists in the mix and just to top it off the neighbour’s two children took it in turns to have giant meltdowns just a few metres from my music room. I dug my determined little hooves in, popped on my headphones, hit Record and there I was, stoned in charge of a mic. I don't really know what happened because suddenly I was in my happy place, I was singing and nothing else mattered. All the 'not good enough' rubbish dissolved away. I forgot about everything except how much I love to sing, a moment suspended in time. I was in my happy place and nothing else existed outside what I could hear in my headphones.

Wait … who is this singing in my headphones? Is this me? This is the voice I hear in my head and feel in my heart that I haven’t been able to let out. Woooo am I in a parallel universe? My rational self said ‘Woman, you’re off the planet, sleep deprived and delusional. Listen back.’  To my great surprise and relief, it still sounded good.  Whoooo Hoooooooo.

Something changed that day. I opened a door that’s been locked shut most of my life.

Such is the power of making music.

For those of you who may be concerned I’ve gone to the dark side, let it be known that since that day I’ve been able to sing without the assistance of a migraine, lack of sleep or drugs. The remaining vocals were recorded straight rather than stoned and it’s still my real voice.

Looking back over the past three months, I can see so much good has come out of this.

Roman how can I ever thank you enough?  I’ve always admired your work and been in awe of your level of excellence. All through this project, every time I’ve doubted myself, I’ve remembered that you heard something in my first little recording that had potential. You’re a brave man taking on a beginner. Thankyou for taking that leap.

You’ve been wonderful to work with – generous, methodical, patient, encouraging and often very funny. It’s been fascinating watching how you craft a production. We’ve discovered we have something in common – we will never surrender!

The way in which you’ve turned my tracks into something good is a marvel. You are a maestro.

The opportunity you’ve given me has opened so many doors. I’m now working on a collab with another forum member, using my fancy new gear, and I’m learning how to use Reaper.  I’m burning with an even deeper passion for music and a determination to improve. After listening to your bass playing on the recording, as well as those amazing drums of yours I’ve bought a bass guitar. He’s called Red.

Red Button Paralysis doesn’t happen anymore and I no longer go to pulp if someone hears me sing and play.

This collaboration has been the catalyst for all these wonderful things that have enhanced my life.

Kevin … what a talented musician you are. As the project developed it’s been awe-inspiring listening to your tracks. You make it sound so easy. Thankyou for taking the time to add your style and power and fantastic playing to this project. Without your tracks, this project would never have come to life. I’ve loved breathing the same air as you for a little while.

Thankyou Roman and Kevin. Thankyou LBro and David.

This project is a dream I didn’t even dare to dream, and it’s come true.

It’s particularly sweet because I’m in the closing chapter of my life. I turn 70 in January 2019. 

Maggie
https://soundcloud.com/user-32910351/chocolate-jesus

Wow Maggie I feel for you, in a good way.

Your age is just a number and another delusion us humans suffer from and need to measure. How many in the animal world looks at the calendar. You can only live in this minute, this moment, this now.

On the vocals side I can relate, as I still can't figure how Roman talked (coerced) me into making a singing debut and damn then repeat it. And yes that "who's singing this?" boy can I relate.

70 or 7 is academic its how you feel and I think you're feeling fine. Pharmaceuticals apart, a project like this is the best drug you can be taking. Lap it up and be here, right here, right now.

Keep enjoying this ride, step by step, fret by fret. A pleasure to share your story.

Deep bows.

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2018, 02:01:06 am »
Wow Maggie I feel for you, in a good way.

Your age is just a number and another delusion us humans suffer from and need to measure. How many in the animal world looks at the calendar. You can only live in this minute, this moment, this now.

On the vocals side I can relate, as I still can't figure how Roman talked (coerced) me into making a singing debut and damn then repeat it. And yes that "who's singing this?" boy can I relate.

70 or 7 is academic its how you feel and I think you're feeling fine. Pharmaceuticals apart, a project like this is the best drug you can be taking. Lap it up and be here, right here, right now.

Keep enjoying this ride, step by step, fret by fret. A pleasure to share your story.

Deep bows.

Toby
 8)

Wise words Toby. Music and the fine folk in the community have given me so much. Yes I'm feeling mighty fine, better than I have for a long time.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #172 on: November 28, 2018, 02:09:53 am »
Hi Maggie.

As many others I find your Road case really inspirational. Thanks for sharing your struggles and successes.

I also went through the pain of  getting to know a DAW (Cubase) a few months ago.
My lowest point was struggling with an error message for hours on end on the first friday evening after buying it, only to discover the cable plugged into the AI was not making proper contact, creating the error message

The class you joined sounds like loads of fun. The fun is reflected in the music you shared.

I would never have guessed your age if you did not share it.

Great that you are in a place where you can explore your passion for music.

Rock on Maggie.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #173 on: November 28, 2018, 02:27:20 am »
Hi Maggie.

As many others I find your Road case really inspirational. Thanks for sharing your struggles and successes.

I also went through the pain of  getting to know a DAW (Cubase) a few months ago.
My lowest point was struggling with an error message for hours on end on the first friday evening after buying it, only to discover the cable plugged into the AI was not making proper contact, creating the error message

The class you joined sounds like loads of fun. The fun is reflected in the music you shared.

I would never have guessed your age if you did not share it.

Great that you are in a place where you can explore your passion for music.

Rock on Maggie.

Oh yeah, malfunctioning cables, I hear you Barend. I had one with an intermittent fault. It took me hours of messing around and in the end LBro figured the problem. In the first 4 weeks I was attempting to use my little Zoom H2n which simply wasn't up to the job. It kept freezing Reaper. Once again, LBro worked through the options with me.

Thankyou so very much for your generous words. Music has opened doors into a whole world of fun, friendship and laughter.  Buying a bass last week has been another catalyst for musical growth and collaboration. 

Get The Forum As A Mobile App