Author Topic: Suffolk112000's Road Case...!  (Read 2002 times)

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Suffolk112000's Road Case...!
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:11:14 am »
Just getting started...!

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Suffolk112000's Road Case...!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:20:37 am »
Hello all,

This is my first post. I am new to the forum and so far, really love it here.

I am a 52 year old male. I have wanted to play guitar for as long as I can remember, but never moved on my desire. I’ll just say up front, that I have no desire to try playing in a band. I just want to learn to play in the comfort of my home. My music background consists of playing the drums in high school band. I haven’t picked up an instrument since.

A few days ago I happened to stumble upon a conversation at work where someone was selling their guitar Ibanez GRX20. As I listened to my coworkers talk about it, I became more interested and ended up purchasing it, thinking it was a great opportunity to give it a go.
The guitar had essentially never been used. It was still in all the packaging when I opened it. I took it to the local guitar shop to have it looked at, they said it looked great. Since then, I have purchased a guitar bag, guitar stand, leather strap and strap locks, a few different size picks, a D’Addario Universal tuner and last weekend a Fender Mustang v2 amp.

So within the span of about 6 days, I went from nothing but desires of someday… maybe learning to play, to where I am positioned today. My loving wife is looking at me like I’m hitting my mid-life crisis…lol.

During this past week, I’ve started looking over Justin’s site. I actually stumbled onto it doing research for my guitar. After watching a few more of his video’s and browsing his site, I really like the way it’s structured and he seems to present material in a way that I can understand. I feel lucky to have found it. I’ve gone thru Beginner Course introduction and have started with Beginner Course Stage I. When I got to ‘The D Chord’ lesson, I quickly learned that I need to recoil a bit. My 52 year old digits aren’t too nimble and cannot stretch like I know I’ll need them to. So I looked up some finger stretch routines on YouTube and am incorporating Justin’s Lesson [TE-007] titled Finger Stretching Exercise – Guitar Lesson. I’m also still incorporating ‘The D Chord’ Lesson. In just the couple of day’s I’ve been stretching, it seems to have slightly helped a little bit.

Even though I want to keep playing, I am forcing myself to stop practicing after about 20 minutes each day. Not because it hurts, but because I don’t want to take a chance of getting burned out later on. So my plan is to pace myself and practice 5-7 days a week for 20ish minutes. This is including stretching.

So far, I do feel comfortable with my chosen routine. I plan to spend some time to go back thru most of the Beginner Course Introduction Material on Justin’s site again. Just to ensure I get it. Another thing I think I am going to do is grab a mirror to occasionally glance at, so that I am aware of my posture. I tend to slouch anyways, so I figure now’s the time to create solid habits when everything seems a bit awkward anyways.

One other thing, I do plan to take some lessons after I have practiced for a month or two. Right now, I feel like I am just as well off getting myself in better guitar shape and following a few of Justin’s lessons.

As I begin to move forward with the basics, is there anything all of you would also recommend that you feel helped you, that I should look at or also include in my practice?

I’m looking forward to the journey ahead as I grow.

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:21:46 am »
Well, I've decided to give periodic status updates to sort of document my journey.

So, I've had my guitar for almost a couple of weeks now and I think I'm doing ok.
I've been concentrating as much on finger stretching as as I have been playing, which I believe has greatly helped.
I've also taken one private guitar lesson (last evening) and have another scheduled in a week. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things. I'm also going to be trying different instructors. To be honest, I felt a bit overwhelmed on my first lesson.
I think after next weeks lesson, I'm only going to take about one lesson a month. I'm just going to concentrate more on using Justin's material.
I just ordered Justin's starter package. I think I prefer taking lessons online using Justin's material to a one-on-one instructor. But we'll see. 
Maybe I'll feel a bit differently after I have more experience.
I've also increased my practice times. Not much, but I now practice closer to a half hour.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the journey.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 408
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 06:44:58 am »
Good to have you aboard Suffolk. Welcome to the forum and the wonderful guitar journey you're embarking upon.
:)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:59:25 pm by close2u »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 206
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:55:18 am »
Welcome to the Community, Suffolk.

Your approach sounds spot on.

From my own experience all I'd share now is to not get stuck on just the D chord for weeks and weeks.  It doesn't need to be perfect before you add in working on the A and the E as well.  I found focusing on all three added variety into my practice and the different fingerings help build general finger dexterity and strength i.e. time spent on one chord has a positive impact on learning the others.

And once you can make the three shapes then you can slowly start to work on moving from one to another, ever so slowly and carefully.  But with the sensible approach you outlined it will get steadily better.

Justin's approach is fantastic and if you just work diligently on the lessons of stage 1, you'll soon find yourself being able to make some music.  Take it slow and have fun.

Personally I have followed the Beginner Course methodically and over the last 22 months and have made progress beyond my wildest dreams.  And I never took any face-face lessons.  Maybe I have some bad habits, I don't know but I now consider myself a guitar player and musician albeit of extremely modest ability level.

I wish you well on the journey, take your time have fun and I am sure you will do well.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:59:47 pm »
Welcome to the community Suffolk.  :)  You're in fine company here.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 52
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 02:25:07 am »
Welcome aboard! Once you get going there will be no turning back. I'm not too keen on finger exercises outside of just playing, but if it works for you then go for it.

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 03:00:43 am »
Hello all...!
Thanks for the feedback...!
I now spend about 10-15 minutes on finger Stretching. 
I even do finger stretching at work...lol Then another 15 or 20 on guitar. I'm going to take things slow. No rush here.
My I will say that stretching is getting more streamlined which gives me more time for actual guitar practice.
But if there's one thing I know that I'm doing right, it's the finger stretching. I am really noticing a difference when working on chords.
As far as the D chord... nope, not getting to hung up on it. I actually have been working on all three A, E and D. I can tell you it's easier to position my fingers than a few weeks ago... encouraging.
I have also ordered Justin's beginner bundle. I can't wait till it arrives.
Please keep the Comments coming...!

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:30:41 am »
Been a little while, so I thought I would update my thread.
I'm still working on the three A, E and D chords.
I also received Justin's beginner bundle.
Doing chord changes and thus far, I really can't complain. Compared to where I was when I started, my fingers are a lot more nimble and flexible. I attribute most of it on the finger stretching exercises I've been doing, along with other practicing from Justin's beginner exercises.
Also, I'm starting to experience some finger tip sorness. I'll be practicing tomorrow evening, then taking a mini-vacation where I'll be out of state for three days. I figure it will be a great opportunity for my fingers to take a little bit of a break.

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 37
    • YT-channel
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 04:59:04 pm »
Great to hear of your progress :)

I figure it will be a great opportunity for my fingers to take a little bit of a break.
That will help! It takes some time, but your fingertips will get used to it :)

Have you started working on songs for stage 1 and if so, which? 

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 08:01:53 pm »
Hey Max...!
Nope, not yet.
I'm still working on the A, E and D chord changes and some very basic strumming.
I'm currently at about 22 chord changes a minute. I count movement to each chord as one. So, I need to be at around 60 per minute. Once I'm at 30, I think I'll try to do a basic song, but of course continue to strive for 60 CPM. Any song recommendations???
I suppose I could advance to a song, but when I started, I said to myself from the very beginning, that one of the things I'm not going to do is allow myself to jump forward in the course if I don't think I'm ready.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 88
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 08:12:32 pm »
Three little birds is a great one to start with, but don’t try to do any of the more ‘fancy’ strumming until you’re further down the line, it’s good to revisit stuff as you progress!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 08:27:37 pm »
Three little birds is a great one to start with, but don’t try to do any of the more ‘fancy’ strumming until you’re further down the line, it’s good to revisit stuff as you progress!

Well, perhaps in a few days, I'll try it.
First, I gotta get better.
And YES...!
I agree about revisiting the previous lessons.
There's been a few times, where I'm having what I would consider an off-day and can't seem to get clean chords, I don't even try chord changes. I just stick to strumming the individual chords, and trying to get a feel of where my fingers are when I'm getting things right. This is probably one of the reasons why I'm not quite as far as the average person is at this stage.

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 08:39:10 pm »
I've mentioned more than once how finger stretching has helped my finger dexterity and flexibility. So, I decided to post the below links to the videos that I incorporate into my practices
 I have been using these Videos as part of my regular daily finger exercises.
I don't do every video daily, but the first one I do perform at least once daily.
The other vids, I just mix in few times a week.
After my first week of practicing, I realized I needed to gain more flexibility in my hands/fingers, so I recoiled.
I did a lot of finger Stretching/pulling/bending. Whatever you want to call it.
I started noticing immediate improvement. 
If you're just starting, give some of these a try. Hope they help you as much as they've been helping me.
FYI: I've marked where the finger Stretching exercises actually start just before each video link.

Here's my routine.
Finger Stretching Videos For Guitar (Finger Bends) 
00:13
https://youtu.be/TSrfB7JIzxY

More Finger Bends.
Don't stretch to much. Just to the point you feel the stretch. 
3:37
https://youtu.be/1gGQD2Nw9O4

Finger Stretching and Coordination Exercises Without a Guitar
0:00
https://youtu.be/Hg4vZvwyaaI

Offline suffolk112000

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 11:38:46 pm »
So, I thought I would give a basic song a try. (Three Little Birdies) Sort of jumping ahead a little bit. I knew my chord changes still need much work. While it was fun giving it a go, it wasn't pretty. So I'll work on chord changes etc etc and some basic strumming and try it again after another week of practice or so.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App