Author Topic: Question about checking humidity of my new Taylor while in case  (Read 194 times)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
Although my new acoustic (Taylor 214ce SB DLX is not all solid wood it does have a nice wood solid top with very thin lacquer. The sides and back are layered rosewood. Meaning the inside and outside layers are both solid rosewood with poplar in the middle. Considering the price of the guitar (most I’ve ever spent on a guitar) I want to be sure to take good care of it. It came with a nice hardshell case so I plan to just keep it in the case most of the time. I purchased the items below.

The hygrometer should fit in the case.

Regarding the other item (humidipak): I guess the point is that it releases just the right amount of humidity into the case.

So, a few questions:

Is this overkill considering it’s not all solid wood? The counter-argument would be the neck and top are still solid.

Do these humidipak’s actually work?

This area has a fair amount of fluctuation in humidity so I’m just trying to get educated on this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Temperature-Humidity/dp/B0140UC9XQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539219585&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=guitar+case+hygrometer+digital&dpPl=1&dpID=41ljZV4xDsL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Humidipak-Two-Way-Humidification-System/dp/B000OMG0KI/ref=pd_aw_fbt_201_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PR725T6B6QBBBXCQDH18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
Re: Question about checking humidity of my new Taylor while in case
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:41:25 am »
Put the hygrometer in the room you are going to keep the guitar and case.
As long as it is above 40% you have nothing to worry about.
I humidity my whole house and I keep my guitars on stands so I can't comment
on the humidipac but from what I've heard they work really well.

If you live in an area where the relieve humidity stay around or above 35% year
round you'll never have a problem. But if you live in an area where the RH can
drop below 20 for months like I do I recommend humidifing the whole house.
Don't worry to much about RH, guitar forums have blown it way out of proportion.

Online Sweed77

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 12:24:26 am »
I used the humidpak system for a couple of years with my first acoustic guitar.  They worked quite well for me.  I also was able to recharge the packs that went dry instead of buying expensive replacements.  I would take a coffee cup and put distilled water in it, place that in a tuperware container, place the packs around the cup, and over time they would absorb moisture in the contained environment.  I had two sets of packs, one always in the guitar case and one set always being re-moisturized. 

Quite a while later I bought a third set of packs to put into the rotation.  Not sure if I just got some from a bad batch or it the quality had just plain gone downhill?  They seemed more flimsy and one developed a leak rather soon after getting it.  This was about the same time I bought my all solid wood Seagull and I wasn't comfortable placing the packs in an expensive guitar after the leaking incident.  I then moved on and bought a humidifier that can keep my guitar room at constant humidity in the winter with the furnace running.  In the end I think this is both cheaper and easier way to take care of an expensive guitar. 

My soundcloud  https://soundcloud.com/sweed59

"The Thread"  the original beginners songbook thread https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=33339.0

Offline 15learningLate

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:47 pm »
To phx1973 and other commenters:

I have the same questions you do.

I just purchased a new Taylor guitar.  The salesperson convinced me to buy D’Addario Planet Waves Two-Way Humidification System Model # PW-HPK-01. When I registered my guitar online, the service people sent me an email and recommended that I buy a Hygrometer/Thermometer for my guitar case.

What’s the deal on both of these?  Do they really work?  If you buy the humidifier pack is the hygrometer necessary?

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 11:28:50 pm »
To phx1973 and other commenters:

I have the same questions you do.

I just purchased a new Taylor guitar.  The salesperson convinced me to buy D’Addario Planet Waves Two-Way Humidification System Model # PW-HPK-01. When I registered my guitar online, the service people sent me an email and recommended that I buy a Hygrometer/Thermometer for my guitar case.

What’s the deal on both of these?  Do they really work?  If you buy the humidifier pack is the hygrometer necessary?
This all depends on where you live. You should have a hygrometer for the room/house.
The are not expensive and will tell you what the Relitive Humidity is in your home.
If the RH in your home is between 40 and 60% you have nothing to worry about so
don't waste your money on all the fancy gadgets out there.

BUT and this is the thing. If at any time of year winter or summer the humidity in your
house goes below 35% for any length of time on a regular bases. You should at the
very least have some sort of in case humidifier.
I personally have a house humidifier that keep my home around 50%.
I do this i  the winter only because in the spring, summer and fall I don't need to worry.

So the best thing to do is know what the RH is in your home. Not out side it won't be
the same. If your house is OK your guitar is OK. Humidifying your case when your
house is OK can cause your guitar to become to wet and it can grow mold inside.
Knowing if you need to or don't need to is the first step.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:42:49 am »
Thanks, Stitch. That was very helpful. My hygrometer and thermometer actually just arrived as we speak. It looks like it’s about 44% humidity so it’s good for now. One question: will it by dryer inside the hardshell case vs sitting in the open on a stand. The guitar store guy said a lot of people get in trouble drying out their guitars by keeping them always in the case. If so, I guess I should just keep the hygrometer in the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:12:34 am »
It may take over night for the hygrometer to read correctly.
If you prefer to keeping your guitar in it's case and are worried about the case
drying out just keep it open when you practice, it will absorb any moisture it
it's needed. If you're going to humidify the case that's the best place for the
hygrometer
Now that we are closing in on winter if you have forced air heat keep an eye on
the RH and if it starts falling I recommend getting at least a room humidifier.
It will help keep everything in the the room including yourself from dying out.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App