Author Topic: Where to buy?  (Read 129 times)

Offline AChris30

• Good Vibes 0
Where to buy?
« on: October 10, 2018, 07:14:54 pm »
Hi there,
I just started off on my old accoustic but I want to get an electric guital soon because that's what Justin recommends to learn on and that also happens to be what I want to play. So the question is where to buy? I have already decided not to buy it online because I really want to try it out and see if it suits me.
The question is should I go to a small local music store with a limited amount of guitars to pick from or should I travel a bit and visit a big music store in a bigger city where I can try a lot of different guitars and maybe find a better match?
What do you think?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:23:17 pm »
It's a tough call - ideally do both, ideally buy local, support your independent and make friends of them.

You need to try for size, fit and feel a range of guitars of different body sizes and cuts, different weights, solid-body vs semi-hollow (f-holes etc), different scale lengths, single coil vs humbucker, hard-tail vs tremolo etc. There are dozens of options to narrow down but you can do that fairly quickly by thinking 'what turns me on?' or 'what drives my desire to play?'. If you don't like the look of it - period - you have narrowed down your search.
The big guitar store is likely to have more than one model of any given type - and they will vary in all likelihood.
Your local store is a good place to buy if they will be able to serve you long-term, are nearby, helpful, trustworthy. They might price match if their price is higher.

You must also pick a budget. It must include guitar plus amp plus accessories.

Good luck with a new venture.
:)

Offline AChris30

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:24 pm »
Thanks for your answer - that was really quick.

With the Guitar I am completely undecided. I like the Tele shape but I really have to try some guitars to see what's best to handle for me.

Ampwise it's much easier. When I google what was used in guitar sounds I like from music I like there is very often a Vox amp involved (hence the nickname). I thought about starting of with software or some modeling amp but since signal processing stuff is what I do as a job, I think I might start to fiddle around and get distracted from practising so I think what I should get is a simple real amp, maybe an AC4. Good idea?

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 08:23:18 pm »
...I like the Tele shape but I really have to try some guitars to see what's best to handle for me.

A telecaster has stood the test of time as it is classic, basic, does pretty much everything well.
Some have a cutaway at the back for 'comfort'.
Some have the 'ashtray' bridge others have a flat bridge … that can be a thing to watch for with your strumming hand.
Some have massive thick 'baseball bat' necks.
You can get variants - twin humbucker, f-hole with lighter bodies.

A good place to start looking.

Online stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 154
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 08:24:25 pm »
Your best bet is to set a budget of what you want to spend before you go looking.
This will cut your choices down by a lot.
Then play as manyas youcan in your price range.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:44:56 pm »
ps

for Fender Telecaster also look at G&L ASAT guitars …

budget price Fender Made in Mexico G&L Tribute

higher price Made in US models

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 08:45:38 pm »
for advice on an amp please open a new thread in the amp section :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App