Author Topic: Fender Telecaster  (Read 684 times)

Offline SFDonovan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Fender Telecaster
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:11:26 pm »
I'm in the market for a new guitar and leaning toward this one.   It's between the Classic Player Baja and Player Series in Blonde.  The Player has the Alnico 5 Tele Single-coils and the Baja has the Custom Shop Twisted Tele and  Broadcaster.  The Baja also has this 2-way pickup phase selector so the coils can be in or out of phase.  Is that something that is real useful?   The Player has the 6-saddle String-thru saddle while the Baja has the "Vintage Style" 3-Saddle Strings-Through Body.  Is one better than the other?   They are fairly close in price so that is not an issue.

Which would you choose?

Your opinion is appreciated.
Gretsch G2622 Streamliner
Squier Classic 60's Vibe Stratocaster
Martin DCPA5 Acoustic Guitar
Fender Superchamp X2
My Soundcloud >> https://soundcloud.com/sfdonovan

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
Re: Fender Telecaster
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:00 pm »
String through body is, arguably, better as it anchors the strings more solidly which should, in theory at least, provide better sustain.

As I've written in other posts, on an electric guitar all of the sound you hear comes from the vibration of the strings in the magnetic field of the pickups. Any other "resonance" or vibration, whether that is from the nut, the bridge, or the body of the guitar, is actually subtractive: it reduces the strength of the string vibration and, therefore, takes something away from the sound. As a general rule on wooden guitars, the construction of the guitar is designed to minimise this dampening effect as much as possible.

Anchoring the string solidly at the bridge and the headstock should reduce any unwanted vibrations and, thus, improve sustain.

In reality though (and everything else being equal), the difference between string through body and string through bridge is probably going to be very subtle at best.

The pickups will have a far, far greater impact on the tone than, literally, everything else combined.

Having said that, I can't help you with your questions on pickups, as I really don't know the pickups you describe. Hopefully someone else with direct experience of them will post on that issue.

I would also suggest that neither pickup configuration is "better", without a definition of what "better" is. The Player Series with the Alnico 5's is going to be more "classic tele", whilst the Baja may be more characterful or versatile. Individual people may prefer one over the other for personal preference reasons which are nothing to do with "better".

Do you have any opportunity to try them out for yourself?

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 442
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Fender Telecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:30:54 pm »
It depends which Baja you're thinking of.
The 1950s style has a very chunky neck, what they call baseball bat.
The 1960s style has a slimmer neck.
I sold a 50s Baja as I couldn't get to grips with the neck.
The Baja switching is nice but not a deal breaker.
3-saddles vs 6-saddles is an argument a purist might have.
6 individual saddles will allow the guitar to have slightly better intonation all along the neck length.
Both have string-through the body with the 6 ferrules at the back.
The Baja has an 'ashtray' bridge, the Player has a flat bridge plate, so perhaps less skinning of your knuckles and blood loss if you are a wild & manic rhythm player.
The pickups in the Baja are great. But those in the Player are not too shabby either.
Both are good buys.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App