Author Topic: So, it looks like I'm in a band  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
Re: So, it looks like I'm in a band
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 09:55:28 pm »
You great big campanologist!

Actually, I'm not. that's a common mistake. A campanologist is someone who studies/researches bells and the traditions of ringing.

Someone who rings them, is simply a bell ringer.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 10:34:03 pm »
Keith this is wonderful and your atmospheric build up has been too. You still need to wear clean undies though.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 10:40:35 pm »
A little bit of information on the art of bell ringing

(Bear in mind, I am far from an expert on this as I've only been doing it for a couple of months).

This is based on the "English" style of bell ringing which is fairly unique in the world.

Firstly, you might think bell ringing is a religious thing, but it really isn't.

At least 3 of our band are atheists. In fact it has been suggested that one of the attractions of bell ringing was for less religiously minded people in the past when attending church was "the done thing" aws it gave a way for these people to avoid having to attend church services.

Bell ringing has strong relationship with the church, but that relationship tends to be functional/utilitarian rather than spiritual.

If there were bell towers attached to, say, libraries, or coffee shops, bell ringers would ring there.

It is believed the English style of bell ringing evolved in the 16th and 17th centuries, with some suggesting the art was developed largely at Universities, such as Cambridge, where bored students (they didn't have the Internet in those days) would challenge each other to do more and more daring and reckless things.

From that English bell ringing evolved which a lot of people consider to almost be a sport.

The English style ringing is different from most other bellringing in which the bell is either rocked or struck with a hammer. In English bell ringing, the bell is strapped to a wheel and rotated so that it is completed inverted in each direction. This is done by coordinated pulling on a rope hung below the bell, as can be seen in my video.

This style of ringing facilities far greater control of the bell than simply swinging it back and forth , and facilitates a practice known as "change ringing", which is a competitive art based on memory, team coordination, and mathematical patterns.

it is also very dangerous, so it is vitally important that new ringers are carefully instructed in safe bell handling and supervised until they are competent.

Consider that, at the end of your rope, you have a chunk of swinging metal weighing 1/4 tonne (for the smallest bells) upwards. The weight of the bell can pull the rope upward at up to 90km/hr. If you get yourself caught in it or don't let go at the right time, you will be dragged up with the rope and nothing is going to stop that.

Serious injuries can, and do, occur:
As an example: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bellringer-injured-abingdon-oxfordshire-church-st-helens-steven-tomsett-a8621381.html

So, what about the bells themselves. Can we play tunes on them? Well, bells are most commonly tuned in the major scale, so would think so.

Unfortunately, the weight and swinging action of the bells means that only limited control is available, but that's part of the challenge that bell ringers love. Rather than ringing tunes, bell ringers ring patterns.

The simplest pattern is a "round" where all the bells are rung in order, starting at the highest pitched, "the treble". This is what I've been learning for the last few practice sessions. Just controlling your bell enough so that you can ring it at the right time is very challenging. one of the main techniques is to ring the bell up to the balance point (with the mouth of the bell pointing straight up) and that allows you to hold the bell for a few moments until the right time. If you watch the video, I am doing this following the lady to my right.

Once you have perfected this, you can go onto "change ringing", where you start with a simple round, and then pairs of bells swap places with each other in the pattern. The aim with change ringing is to ring continuous patterns with different bells changing position with each other, so that you never repeat any pattern.

Most people have heard of a "peal" of bells, but probably don't know what it is. It's actually a continuous sequence of over 5,040 unique patterns. It takes around 3 hours to ring a full peal, and it is usually done from memory!

More common are quarter-peals which are, as you would expect, 1/4 of the length of time, and "only" take around 45 minutes to ring.

So that's a brief overview of the art of English bell ringing.

Oh and, one final question a lot of people ask: why is it called "English" bellringing?

It's because something like 90% of the bell towers in the world with bells hung in this way are in England. Even with many ancient bell towers falling into disuse or disrepair, or simply being deemed too dangerous to use, there are well over 5,000 working bell towers in England. There are 227 in Wales and only 23 in Scotland.

There are more working bell towers in my local county (80) than there are in the whole of the USA (48). This is largely because of its roots in English universities and their local Anglican churches.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 10:42:36 pm »
Keith this is wonderful and your atmospheric build up has been too. You still need to wear clean undies though.

Thanks Batwoman.

By the way, we do not have bats in our belfry, although we had a nest of ladybirds (ladybugs) up there in early autumn which made muffling one of the bells a bit unpleasant.

Oh, and whilst learning, I had a few moments where a needed clean undies, so that's good advice!

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 10:47:31 pm »
Oh, and a quick bit about our local bell tower.

We have 8 bells, which is a nice number, ranging from about 4.5 cwt (about 229 kg) up to 14.25 cwt (about 731 kg).

The largest bell was cast in 1639, with the "5" bell cast in 1613.

The wooden ladder we climb into the belfry has 1626 carved into it.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline brianlarsen

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 19
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 11:25:14 pm »
Ringing RemembersBell ringing has become a dying art and, these days, there are simply not enough regular ringers to ring at many of the bell towers in the country. At our own church, for instance, there hasn't been a regular band for a few years. There is a small and dedicated group of ringers who will travel to the local churches to ring for special occasions, such as at my daughter's wedding earlier this year

Never thought of myself as being in a heavy metal band!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 09:08:28 am by brianlarsen »

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 44
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 12:06:36 am »

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 82
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 03:29:28 am »
Thanks Batwoman.

By the way, we do not have bats in our belfry, although we had a nest of ladybirds (ladybugs) up there in early autumn which made muffling one of the bells a bit unpleasant.

Oh, and whilst learning, I had a few moments where a needed clean undies, so that's good advice!

Cheers,

Keith

Ha ha. This is a fascinating thread Keith. I wonder if we'll hear any of your rockin' and rollin' on your next recording?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 05:19:26 am »
Keith,

Thanks for all the fun and intrigue upfront followed by the fascinating information about bell ringing ... sounded just like a budding campanologist as you were explaining all that  ;) ... capped with the video, which sounded fabulous.

Wish you the best for the ceremony. 

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 08:14:33 am »
Keith

You little tinker. Thank you for stringing us a long but its not only a wonderful ruse but a great thing to be doing. I'll be thinking of you this morning.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 397
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2018, 08:34:23 am »
Actually, I'm not. that's a common mistake. A campanologist is someone who studies/researches bells and the traditions of ringing.

Someone who rings them, is simply a bell ringer.

Cheers,

Keith

Ah … thanks for clarifying.

Have fun today.
:)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 12:50:44 pm »
Sorry! Couldn't resist
https://youtu.be/URAqnM1PP5E
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 58
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 01:09:13 pm »
Ok, that sure is heavy, and metal ;D
Well played, Sir 8)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 01:51:25 pm »
Sorry! Couldn't resist
https://youtu.be/URAqnM1PP5E

Apology accepted  ;D  Now fight the urges ....

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2018, 10:59:00 pm »
Never thought of myself as being in a heavy metal band!

Ah, nice, another ringer, and a far more experienced one than myself. I'm sure you can correct some of the errors I've made in my descriptions (and I'm fine with that if you do).

My daughter and her husband live in New Brighton, out of interest.

I have some photos and videos from today if anyone is interested in seeing the churchyard in less spooky circumstances than in my video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Wxwt4R1crvG2aLa9

Cheers,

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App