Author Topic: So, it looks like I'm in a band  (Read 2424 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: So, it looks like I'm in a band
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 11:33:06 pm »
You've regaled us with a great story and some wonderful background Keith - and volunteered for something most worthy.
Good vibes.

Online brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2018, 11:35:43 am »
Ah, nice, another ringer, and a far more experienced one than myself. I'm sure you can correct some of the errors I've made in my descriptions (and I'm fine with that if you do).

I'd see myself as the equivalent of having finished the Beginners Course in bell-ringing  ;)
You gave a pretty decent account of it and I didn't notice any mistakes.

I like the 'inclusivity' of it- everybody- including visitors- always welcome.
Our tower caters for pre-teens to octogenarians; three nationalities; absolute beginners to life-long ringers, including a blind ringer and her guide dog  :)

Did you see my June entry, Beelzebub's Bells, in the monthly competition section?
As you're a ringer, you might be interested in the lyrics (on the youtube page)
Feel free to turn them into a 'proper song' and share with your tower (and me!)

https://youtu.be/YKJwBX_zRh8

Ring on!
Brian

Ps That's my son, Tor, beside me. He's been learning bass, but after watching Bohemian Rhapsody, he's now switching to electric guitar  8)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2018, 02:46:11 pm »
I have some photos and videos from today if anyone is interested in seeing the churchyard in less spooky circumstances than in my video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Wxwt4R1crvG2aLa9

Cheers,

Keith

Good vibes, Keith, and thanks for the pictures

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 03:07:53 pm »
I'd see myself as the equivalent of having finished the Beginners Course in bell-ringing  ;)
You gave a pretty decent account of it and I didn't notice any mistakes.

I like the 'inclusivity' of it- everybody- including visitors- always welcome.
Our tower caters for pre-teens to octogenarians; three nationalities; absolute beginners to life-long ringers, including a blind ringer and her guide dog  :)

Did you see my June entry, Beelzebub's Bells, in the monthly competition section?
As you're a ringer, you might be interested in the lyrics (on the youtube page)
Feel free to turn them into a 'proper song' and share with your tower (and me!)

https://youtu.be/YKJwBX_zRh8

Ring on!
Brian

Ps That's my son, Tor, beside me. He's been learning bass, but after watching Bohemian Rhapsody, he's now switching to electric guitar  8)
@Brian Ah yes. I forgot about that song and video. When I first watched it, I had no idea that ringing was in my future. Good stuff.

At some point, I'll start to learn what things like "Plain Bob" and "Steadman" entail.

I'm still learning to do basic rounds reliably at the moment (which, just like guitar, is about practice) and have only briefly tried some very basic changes.

Full change ringing and methods are a little way in my future. At the moment, just watching and trying to follow experienced ringers doing simple call changes messes with my head a bit. I understand the concept, but the practice isn't so easy.

@DavidP thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not going to post that more about the subject now, as this is a guitar forum and I'm sure people have had enough of this little diversion for the time being.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:33:10 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2019, 09:58:40 pm »
Just a quick update. This probably won't mean much to anyone except Brian, but I rang my first Quarter Peal this evening.

https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1271879

Cheers,

Keith

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2019, 05:33:38 am »
Congrats Keith.

As you say, not sure exactly what a QP is, what it represents in a ringer's journey.  But I recall all about your band and playing the heaviest metal.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2019, 09:08:14 am »
Keith - you rock!  8)

All power to your elbow my good man.

Online brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 40
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2019, 10:09:34 am »
Just a quick update. This probably won't mean much to anyone except Brian, but I rang my first Quarter Peal this evening.

Congratulations!  8)

Were you on the treble or an inside bell?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 10:17:12 am »
Congrats Keith.

As you say, not sure exactly what a QP is, what it represents in a ringer's journey.

Basically, it's a sequence of around 1250 changes with each change being a unique permutation of the (in this case) 6 bells. I basically had to keep up with 5 other ringers who were making the changes, and make sure I was the last bell rung each time.

EDIT: This is known as "covering": ringing the heaviest bell, the "tenor", at the end of every sequence.

So I had to heave a 400kg bell and get it to ring fairly precisely in time with the other bells, every (approximately) 2 seconds, and do that for 46 minutes without making any major mistakes.

For anyone interested, especially if they are interested in mathematics, here's some videos with more info on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lyDCUKsWZs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5GmUxl2NaU

Congratulations!  8)

Were you on the treble or an inside bell?
On the treble tenor. Ringing inside is a bit beyond me still: I've only been ringing just over 5 months.

Cheers,

Keith

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:11:50 pm by Majik »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2019, 11:42:41 am »
Basically, it's a sequence of around 1250 changes with each change being a unique permutation of the (in this case) 6 bells. I basically had to keep up with 5 other ringers who were making the changes, and make sure I was the last bell rung each time.

So I had to heave a 400kg bell and get it to ring fairly precisely in time with the other bells, every (approximately) 2 seconds, and do that for 46 minutes without making any major mistakes.

The mind boggles ... after getting through that playing and recording the typical 3-4 song will be a doddle.

Take a massive bow and applause, Keith !!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App