Author Topic: So, it looks like I'm in a band  (Read 2761 times)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
    • YouTube
Re: So, it looks like I'm in a band
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 11:14:24 pm »
Cool beans! Looking forward to hearing some heavy metal tones from you and your Boss Katana. 8)

Offline Endureth

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:24 pm »
Very cool!  Glad to see you taking the plunge and I can't wait to see some vids!

It's wicked fun, ain't it!

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 03:20:03 am »
Very cool, Keith. Can’t wait to hear more about this. Enjoy it! I would love to be able to play in a band some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 08:03:03 pm »
Wow!

Many thanks to those who have replied on this thread. You are very kind indeed.

The occasion where I will be performing with the band (or making an attempt) draws very close.

I will leave you with a little teaser to set the mood...

Rock on!

;)

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 222
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:26 pm »
Okay .... that was different. 

Go forth and rock ....

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 08:21:13 pm »
Well I reckon you'll be dead good. Remember to smile and keep that grave expression from your face. Get in to the spirit of the thing.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 11:14:18 pm »
You must have hyperventilated by the end, no wonder you blacked out Keith.  ;D  Make sure you wear clean undies, smile at the nice people, remember you are Majik and have fun. Excited about this. Please a video and no more teasing.

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 12:19:08 am »
Wear clean undies, Batwoman? That doesn’t sound very rock n roll

Go get ‘em, Majik!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 01:38:50 am »
Wear clean undies, Batwoman? That doesn’t sound very rock n roll

OK, so no undies Keith.  ;)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 07:43:43 am »
Intriguing ................ can't wait for the soundtrack  ;)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 08:21:42 am »
Intriguing ................ can't wait for the soundtrack  ;)
By the way: I forgot to mention that I'm not playing the guitar in this band.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 04:10:00 pm »
By the way: I forgot to mention that I'm not playing the guitar in this band.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Ahhh that make's it more intriguing Keith. Assume we're gonna have to wait for all to be revealed  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 09:37:28 pm »
The special event is tomorrow, and I've been with the band practicing this morning.

So I think it's time to reveal what I've been up to...

As you can see, it's not what most of you thought and I have to admit my original post was misleading (deliberately so). So, here's the brief explanation:

There's a special event coming up next month

The special event is the Armistice Centenary. For anyone who doesn't know, 100 years ago tomorrow (11th Nov 2018) is 100 years since the end of the First World War. There are many special events being held across the UK and Europe. One of these is a plan to ring in the bell towers across Europe:

From http://www.centenarynews.com/article/armistice-centenary-events---uk

"As part of the day’s commemorations, Britain and Germany are joining in a call for bells of all kinds to be rung globally (at 12.30hrs GMT/13.30hrs CET/12.30 local time) to replicate the outpouring of relief when the guns fell silent."

and they were looking for local bands to perform at various venues in the area. I was asked if I fancied being involved and said yes.

There is a general shortage of skilled bellringers. There has been a national campaign to recruit new ringers for the occasion: https://www.big-ideas.org/project/ringing-remembers/ which I joined up to, and for the last couple of months I have been training twice a week on safe bell handling and ringing technique.

So, now I'm in a band.

Groups of people who ring bells together are called "a band" so this is entirely true, even if it's not what you thought when I said "a band".

Our band performs at the local church bell tower.

We've already been practicing for about 6 weeks and things seem to be going in the right direction. It's a big challenge, but I'm enjoying it a lot and we have already agreed to do another performance at Christmas.

It's now 10 weeks in and we have become competent to ring unsupervised, and are now ringing "rounds" and are ready for tomorrow where we will be ringing "half-muffled" rounds to remember the fallen in the morning, and open bells after lunch to celebrate the outbreak of peace 100 years ago.

But in this band we are going to be rocking some heavy metal.

Cheeky, I know. Of course the "heavy metal" we are rocking is the bell itself, a big chunk of bronze weighing (in our tower) up to 3/4 tonne. In other bell towers the largest bells can easily exceed 1 tonne.

And as this is English "full circle" bellringing (the hardcore kind) we will not only be rocking them, but swinging them 360 degrees vertically.

And I'm enjoying the post-practice pint at the pub over the road too!

Bellringing is thirsty work. It's noteworthy that the pub is owned and administered by the church!

As for the weird and creepy video, that was a slight dramatisation of my twice-weekly evening journey to ringing practice.

The church I ring at is in a rural location with no street lights or pavements. To get to the bell tower we have to walk down unlit country lanes, through the graveyard and then wait around in the dark amongst the gravestones until the "Tower Captain" arrives and lets us in. I thought it would make a nice spooky video to confuse you all.

So not really rock'n'roll, but I'll hope you forgive me for my playful deception.

I will explain more about the campaign and the style of bellringing in general for those who are interested in forthcoming posts on this thread.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 120
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 09:50:38 pm »
Ringing Remembers

This is a Government backed campaign to recruit bell ringers for the Armistice Centenary.

During WWI, a great many of the young men across the country went off to war. This included a lot of bell-ringers. 1400 of those ringers died on the battlefield or shortly after by wounds inflicted in battle.

The campaign aimed to recruit at least 1400 ringers to ring bells on the 11th Nov 2018 to commemorate the lives of those ringers who were killed, as well as the millions of others who died in that war.

During the war, bellringing was not allowed and the bell towers fell silent across the country. When peace broke out, one of the biggest symbols and memories of that day were that all of the bell towers across the country started ringing out in an outpouring of relief and hope.

Bell ringing has become a dying art and, these days, there are simply not enough regular ringers to ring at many of the bell towers in the country. At our own church, for instance, there hasn't been a regular band for a few years. There is a small and dedicated group of ringers who will travel to the local churches to ring for special occasions, such as at my daughter's wedding earlier this year.

But there aren't enough of them to ring at all of the bell towers in the area at the same time, and most other parts of the country have similar shortages. Part of the campaign was to try to get enough new ringers to fill as many bell towers as possible, to try to give a true flavour of that momentous event 100 years ago.

More information on this campaign can be found at https://www.big-ideas.org/project/ringing-remembers/

The campaign, by the way, has been a success with over 2,600 new ringers who will be joining existing bands to ring out tomorrow.

We will be ring specifically to remember the sacrifice of two young men from our small village who died in the war, who used to ring in our bell tower, as well as dozens of others from the area who also perished.

It is a solemn occasion, but one which also celebrates peace and hope.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:19:13 pm by Majik »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 430
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 09:53:37 pm »
You great big campanologist!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App