Author Topic: guitar lessons for thumbpick blues/rock  (Read 163 times)

Offline timw

• Good Vibes 0
guitar lessons for thumbpick blues/rock
« on: October 08, 2018, 04:43:25 pm »
Hi there,

I've played guitar since I was 14 (25 years) and started using a conventional pick initially. When i was 20 i started having face to face lessons off a guy in liverpool called deltabluestips on youtube - you might have seen him - he encouraged me to lose the pick immediately and from then on thats what i did playing delta blues style fingerpicking- almost all acoustic plus adding in clawhammer banjo for something different. A year ago I went back to the electric guitar - bought a few, bought some pedals, bought some more pedals, more guitars, amps and basically fell back in love with the electric side of things- wondering why i'd turned my back on it in the first place, devouring youtube lessons etc and really enjoying it

....but I had this fingerstyle which I find useful but was lacking when i wanted a plectrum, I tried intermittently using a pick and hated the pick so i went to a thumbpick. So basically I play with a thumb pick - hybrid style blues, rock, country and jazz, using occasional alternate picking and a bit of clawhammer in there too. It's different but it seems to work but I'd love lessons from someone who might play sort of similar- I'm not an out an out country chicken picker and I'm not a stright forward blues/rock standard picking technique guy....

any ideas on where I should go - anyone on skype, or an internet teachers/instructional videos anyone would recommend???

thanks

Tim

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: guitar lessons for thumbpick blues/rock
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:16:37 pm »
You could have a look here.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClHsbRxBlLACmfuOi1POKyg
There may be something useful on his channel.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline kontenda

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:03:03 pm »
You are probably aware of this already but just in case. Here is Tommy Emmanuel giving a masterclass in thumb-picking:

Offline timw

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:07:18 pm »
thanks - I'll take a look. A lot of thumbpicking tuition seems geared for acoustic guitar, which is useful but I'm trying to figure out more from an electric side - combining alternate picking with thumb picking and hybrid picking

Get The Forum As A Mobile App