Author Topic: Guitar Challenge 0008 - Mild Bluesy Groove Backing Track in Bm  (Read 12397 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Re: Guitar Challenge 0008 - Mild Bluesy Groove Backing Track in Bm
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 11:58:25 pm »
@oldhead and @CT... Very contrasting tracks that I listened to.

Dave: your improv is something I'd never have expected from you. That said, you managed to sound good even when your guitar was exploding!

CT: Very clean sounds. I'd actually have expected that too cuz your guitar has a 1000 voices! Very classy, serene feel you had going there. Kinda had a Spanish guitar feel at times.

Both were good in their own ways :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 01:04:18 am »
I call this "If BB and I practised scales together"

https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/if-bb-and-i-practiced-scales-together

Edit: I must say I was very sloppy in this one. I just consider it practice with exploring pick up positions and using the wah pedal. :)

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:41 pm »

Edit: I must say I was very sloppy in this one. I just consider it practice with exploring pick up positions and using the wah pedal. :)

Bala, I guess hearing the sloppiness is beyond me :)  I thought you did well on the phrasing on this one, feels like you were giving phrases and notes more space than I think on some of your other leads.  The tones were also tasty.  Well done !!
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0

My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 03:14:03 pm »
Bala, I guess hearing the sloppiness is beyond me :)  I thought you did well on the phrasing on this one, feels like you were giving phrases and notes more space than I think on some of your other leads.  The tones were also tasty.  Well done !!

Haha thank you David. There were a few places where I messed up the note. It was a lovely backing track and couldn’t resist but do it by channeling BB. :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 04:37:53 pm »

You did a good job on both bending notes and vibrato. Especially the first half.
Playing solo through a whole 2+ minutes is hard on the concentration. Nice to hear the wah. I got a sudden urge to use mine, which I usually cannot when playing in the Country band.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »
You did a good job on both bending notes and vibrato. Especially the first half.
Playing solo through a whole 2+ minutes is hard on the concentration. Nice to hear the wah. I got a sudden urge to use mine, which I usually cannot when playing in the Country band.

Thank you Joerfe. You should definitely pull your wah pedal out and give it go! Would actually be interesting to know what it would sound like on a country song now that you mention it. Has there been a country song that used the wah? You'd be the first if there isn't! :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 04:49:20 pm »
Thank you Joerfe. You should definitely pull your wah pedal out and give it go! Would actually be interesting to know what it would sound like on a country song now that you mention it. Has there been a country song that used the wah? You'd be the first if there isn't! :)

Well, I'm not playing a lot of lead in that band. Our other guitarist is this seasoned player who knows all the tricky licks, so I'm feasting off of his playing learning a lot on the rhythm playing side.
But as I play through a GT-100 on my Katana there is a build-in pedal I use for volume, but it re-configures to a wah if I want to.
Guess I'll give it a go one of these days.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2018, 04:51:52 pm »
You definitely should! Don't forget to let us listen to what it sounds like either! :)

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 190
    • YouTube
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:59 pm »

@DavidP, thanks for the listen! Yeah, I have to go where my brain takes me. This one was a happy place, which is my own garden. Since you didn't ask, here's how it worked out for me:

Quote from: CT's Brain

1st listen: Daow-wow--chicka-chicka-boom-boom -> didn’t stick
2nd listen: Boom-Boom-Bah-Chick-a-Chick-a-Boom-Boom -> Closer but didn’t stick
3rd listen: Boom-Boom-Bah—Groovin’-in-the-garden -> Stuck!

So why didn't I play that out in a melody line instead of just Groovin' over the whole track? I found a riff that I liked so my ears took over and I shut off my brain too soon! Lesson learned. 8)

@Balamuthiah, I almost always scratchpad with an acoustic first before I finalize the direction I'm going to go. If I like it, I stay acoustic. I'll take jazzy.

Your track had a really nice edge to it, you have come a long way matey! I'm giving all your stuff two listens lately. You are on a roll. Liked the wah section most of all. I felt like the other sections needed more sustain on some of the notes, the tone and vibrato were both very good. You are on the come!

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
@Balamuthiah, I almost always scratchpad with an acoustic first before I finalize the direction I'm going to go. If I like it, I stay acoustic. I'll take jazzy.

Ah I get it now! That's some good advice there. I usually start with my default tone and then switch around on the DAW. For this one, I just chose to go direct. Guitar-wah-fuzz-DAW amp. No other effects. I liked the sound of it.

Your track had a really nice edge to it, you have come a long way matey! I'm giving all your stuff two listens lately. You are on a roll. Liked the wah section most of all. I felt like the other sections needed more sustain on some of the notes, the tone and vibrato were both very good. You are on the come!

Thank you for the listen and positive comments on this one. I give all of your stuff at least two listens myself. So many things I learn from you actually. I'm working on sustain. Sometimes the higher notes don't really stay. I'd really like to take my guitar out for a setup but can't do it with my financial situation. I liked the wah section too. Can't really tell why I chose to add it though. Just gave the backing track a listen and it had a BB tone written all over it and so the immediate decision was to do it his way. I kinda wanted to experiment with the pickups so I did that and it kinda sounded like two different persons (the bridge pickup sounded a lot more like me for some reason). Hence the title for the improv. Maybe the wah section is me too :D

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 05:55:02 pm »

I just listened briefly to your take. It sounds like the Thrill is Gone. I’ll listen to all takes later this evening. Thank you everyone for keeping this alive :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 06:04:10 pm »
No problem Omar and yes thrill is gone is in Bm too. That’s the reason why I decided to do it that way. :) and these challenges are addictive and fun! So this will stay alive I’m sure :)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 06:06:15 pm »
Also listen to ghetto woman. That’s an inspiration too. Some fancy chords on that one!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2018, 05:32:00 pm »
And here's my go at it ...

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-3

Found this one to be the hardest of the 3 so far.  Couple of places where fingers and pick got disconnected and lost but just carried on and got back into as quickly as possible.

Great fun again

Thanks for posting, Omar
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I dreamed and am a happy advancing beginner

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 190
    • YouTube
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 09:37:11 pm »
Good stuff, @DavidP! Tone and sustain were spot on. You kept your feet under you and stayed with your vision.

I wanted to hear some hammer-ons and such -- take a few chances with some clichés or multi-note playing. You did speed up a bit toward the end so that was a great addition. All in all it was a very fine offering!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2018, 09:44:32 pm »
Good stuff, @DavidP! Tone and sustain were spot on. You kept your feet under you and stayed with your vision.

I wanted to hear some hammer-ons and such -- take a few chances with some clichés or multi-note playing. You did speed up a bit toward the end so that was a great addition. All in all it was a very fine offering!

Thanks very much, Clint, appreciate the encouragement. Love the animated images :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 09:40:26 am by DavidP »

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2018, 11:35:15 pm »
Third time I’m trying to post this. I listened to the solo twice before I went back into work after lunch. CT said the exact same things I had in my mind. Hammer ons and pull offs or flick offs are worth exploring. I heard a hammer on once actually not sure if it was intentional. You did a slide at the end, stick some in between notes for smoother transitions. Tone and sustain were excellent. Since you’re playing clean next step would be to explore melodic transitions. I’m sure you can do it :)

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2018, 05:01:47 am »
Just hanging out with some good friends, having a cold beverage and Groovin' In The Garden.
I want to come hang in your garden CT. I can picture laying back with my iced tea, just groovn to this and taking it easy.  Nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 05:08:56 am »

I liked this Bala. Nice tone in the start. I would have liked more variation with the wah. Sounded like you were keeping time with it a bit.  Good job, but I know you’ve got more in you. I say that in an a positive way.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 190
    • YouTube
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2018, 05:11:46 am »
Thanks @oldhead49! Fall is a very nice time here, not such a blast furnace of heat. Right now I'm watching and listening to the rain -- it's been such a long time! Pomegranates are coming in right now.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2018, 05:15:19 am »
And here's my go at it ...

https://soundcloud.com/david-preece-24770685/weekly-jam-3

Found this one to be the hardest of the 3 so far.  Couple of places where fingers and pick got disconnected and lost but just carried on and got back into as quickly as possible.

Great fun again

Thanks for posting, Omar
Didn’t sound hard for you David. You’ve got some good things going on there. I like your sound on this and sustain, and was that a slide I heard at the end?  Honestly, it’s coming along for you and the more you do these types of improv you’ll be surprised at how much you’ll learn and how it will come more naturally for you. Keep up the good work.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2018, 05:18:31 am »
Thanks @oldhead49! Fall is a very nice time here, not such a blast furnace of heat. Right now I'm watching and listening to the rain -- it's been such a long time! Pomegranates are coming in right now.
Rain??? We had 7 inches last night in 4 1/2 hours. Not good for sitting in the garden. The leading edge of that hurricane that hit Florida went dead overtop of us. It was a loud night. And I’m in Maryland.

Thanks for the comments on my attempt. I really don’t know where it came from, but it was fun.

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 170
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2018, 05:25:10 am »
Bala and Jesper and Fox, thanks for the listen and comments.  My wife thought the low growl was me trying to sing. 🤪. Just my guitar”screaming and exploding.
Sorry too for late responses. I’ve got house guests for a week. Time is tight.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 402
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2018, 09:30:26 am »
Third time I’m trying to post this. I listened to the solo twice before I went back into work after lunch. CT said the exact same things I had in my mind. Hammer ons and pull offs or flick offs are worth exploring. I heard a hammer on once actually not sure if it was intentional. You did a slide at the end, stick some in between notes for smoother transitions. Tone and sustain were excellent. Since you’re playing clean next step would be to explore melodic transitions. I’m sure you can do it :)

Thanks Bala, appreciate the listen, positive feedback and encouragement to push on. 

Hammer-on, pull-off, slides, bends, vibrato ... all in my dreams of being able to play electric blues lead, Neil Young extended rambling solos and while exposing the extent of my ambition  ;D, the slide is sitting in my drawer to play acoustic country-blues on my resonator in open tunings.  Just all in time as I continue to learn :)

Now, a question ... what do you mean by "melodic transitions"?

I can say on this I ventured forth a little more bravely and wandered up play with the notes in a little box between frets 10-12 on strings 1-3, using a walk balk back down from there to the comfort of minor pentatonic position 1 in the turnaround.  Is that what you mean ... playing notes from other places on the fretboard?

And the hammer-on was probably just the pick being slow to the party, especially if followed by the note being repeated ... I'll say my subconscious took over and meant it to be a hammer-on :)

Didn’t sound hard for you David. You’ve got some good things going on there. I like your sound on this and sustain, and was that a slide I heard at the end?  Honestly, it’s coming along for you and the more you do these types of improv you’ll be surprised at how much you’ll learn and how it will come more naturally for you. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Dave.  I won't say how long I messed around before pressing the record button and this was take 4 as I recall ... close enough that I thought I trying again to avoid the flubs may not get an overall better take ... plus having one eye on the time to be able to get it posted before dinner :)

Yes, it was an intentional slide to end the piece, perhaps slid early and not sustained long enough at the end to get it matched well with the end of the backing track.  Getting the timing of the start and speed of the slide to arrive on the note at the right moment, tricky indeed but of course all with time and practice :)

The other thing I tried to use on this one was a couple of "ascending in thirds" runs to move from phrases on strings 3 & 4 to strings 1 & 2. 

As you say, the more one plays and experiments the more comfortable it becomes to play smoothly and the more I'll be able to hear the backing track, chords and drums to be in harmony, other than the turnaround portion, this one felt like I was playing phrases in key but not necessarily always hitting notes in a phrase to highlight the chord progression. 

That said, I am feeling satisfied with progress made and delighted to now be participating in these challenges.

Offline Omar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 62
  • I'm stubborn...so are my guitars...
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2018, 11:18:18 am »
I am sorry I haven't got the time to listen to everyone's take. I'll do so the soonest possible.

Here's a take on the fly, I hope you enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/omarmt/wj3-bm

Get The Forum As A Mobile App