Author Topic: Guitar Challenge XXI - Mild Bluesy Groove Backing Track in Bm  (Read 904 times)

Offline oldhead49

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 96
Re: Guitar Challenge XXI - Mild Bluesy Groove Backing Track in Bm
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »
LMAO ... not a problem at all.  I just wanted to check my hearing as much as anything.  And I ought to have known that you are on top of limiters and all that jazz (excuse the pun).

In terms of characteristic ... just to be more clear from my side ... the characteristic belonged to the word fine rather than phrasing.  I don't get a sense when I listen to you that you are a limited trick pony with a few licks and riffs that you always use.  I was rather trying to comment on your fine feel and phrasing, which is just what I expect when I listen to you play.

David, I got the "characteristic fine phrasing" and appreciate that feedback.  However, I do have certain licks and phrases that I rely on and are sort of go-to for me and are characteristic of my playing.   I'm aware that I do it and would just like to expand, I guess I could say, my vocabulary.  And it's something to watch out for, I think, as we develop. I went back through some of my improvs (some posted, some not) and there were certain elements that seemed to keep popping up and sounding very much the same.  I guess to a certain extent that's inevitable as we are learning and growing, using things that are comfortable to us and familiar.  I just don't want to get stuck in a hole and want to make others aware; thus the "so beware". 

As far as the faders, limiters, etc. -- other than this one, of course -- I've been really trying to keep everything at a green level.  It really does make things sound better and it's a whole lot easier when developing the final sound.  (Thanks LBro)  Of course you already are aware of those things.  Thanks again for the great feedback.

EDIT:  Your hearing is fine! ;D

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:39 pm »
If I can sound like that for 7 and a half minutes, I’d gladly go to the crossroads and sign up! Mind blown! That tone just makes my GAS for a Les Paul explode!

Made me kinda blush right there.... thank you very much.
It was one of those days where it all came together at the right time.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 09:33:10 pm »
Joerfe, Good vibes to you, not only for the duration and staying with it but for producing a cool improv.  Great sound. 

Here's my attempt.  I call it out of my head - and really out of my element.  Forgive me.  Well, it is just for fun.  Right? ;D

https://app.box.com/s/ex6cnovz3yegt4dxs36ralyl06gnskr7

Thank you!
And it might have been out of your comfort zone, but I like your track, both the effect and the phrasing. Bends a little out of tune, but very nice playing. You Seem to play pretty tight on this one.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.

Online CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 05:44:52 am »
Just hanging out with some good friends, having a cold beverage and Groovin' In The Garden.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 06:11:10 am »
Just hanging out with some good friends, having a cold beverage and Groovin' In The Garden.

Most enjoyable, Clint, a different slightly more jazzy feel and tone to this one.

And must say, love your titles and images on SoundCloud.  Like those little extras.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 11:24:37 am »
This is an awesome track to play over! While I had my LesPaul in my hands I recorded my take on this right away with the Marshall sound dialed in on the GT-100. This is just me xx--xx away with no regard to pauses or letting the music breath… Just me having a blast ;D
I played throughout the track and I may sound like I get a little stuck in the end. Whatever, give it a spin.

https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11/mild-bluesy-bm-mixdown/s-8tWeS
Very well done, Jesper! 7 minutes of goodness.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 01:12:00 pm »
Very well done, Jesper! 7 minutes of goodness.

Thanks Fox
/Jesper

Online CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 01:55:29 pm »
@Joerfe, there is something about your rig that sounds great when you really lay into it with a heavy hand. Maybe a pedal or amp sim with an attack setting? Who knows, sounds great when you do that thing. Nice offering.

@oldhead49, that's just next level nasty. Really great stuff. That was the most fun I've had all day. I've got my eye on you, man. You pulled that one out of the depths of who knows where. Loved it! 8)

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 04:51:35 pm »
No, the meters weren't up in the red - they were exploding, throwing red lava-like dbs.  Haha.
Sometimes you just have to let it scream 8)
Good stuff, good stuff.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 05:49:53 pm »
@Joerfe, there is something about your rig that sounds great when you really lay into it with a heavy hand. Maybe a pedal or amp sim with an attack setting? Who knows, sounds great when you do that thing. Nice offering.

It is basically just a Les Paul (neck pickup) through my Boss GT-100 board emulating a Marshall 1959 with gain at 1 o'clock.
A little Reverb to taste.

An LP through Marshall has always been a winning combination.
/Jesper

Online Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2018, 11:58:25 pm »
@oldhead and @CT... Very contrasting tracks that I listened to.

Dave: your improv is something I'd never have expected from you. That said, you managed to sound good even when your guitar was exploding!

CT: Very clean sounds. I'd actually have expected that too cuz your guitar has a 1000 voices! Very classy, serene feel you had going there. Kinda had a Spanish guitar feel at times.

Both were good in their own ways :)

Online Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 01:04:18 am »
I call this "If BB and I practised scales together"

https://soundcloud.com/balamuthiah/if-bb-and-i-practiced-scales-together

Edit: I must say I was very sloppy in this one. I just consider it practice with exploring pick up positions and using the wah pedal. :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:41 pm »

Edit: I must say I was very sloppy in this one. I just consider it practice with exploring pick up positions and using the wah pedal. :)

Bala, I guess hearing the sloppiness is beyond me :)  I thought you did well on the phrasing on this one, feels like you were giving phrases and notes more space than I think on some of your other leads.  The tones were also tasty.  Well done !!

Online Balamuthiah

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 36
  • It's all in the mind!
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 03:14:03 pm »
Bala, I guess hearing the sloppiness is beyond me :)  I thought you did well on the phrasing on this one, feels like you were giving phrases and notes more space than I think on some of your other leads.  The tones were also tasty.  Well done !!

Haha thank you David. There were a few places where I messed up the note. It was a lovely backing track and couldn’t resist but do it by channeling BB. :)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 04:37:53 pm »

You did a good job on both bending notes and vibrato. Especially the first half.
Playing solo through a whole 2+ minutes is hard on the concentration. Nice to hear the wah. I got a sudden urge to use mine, which I usually cannot when playing in the Country band.
/Jesper

Get The Forum As A Mobile App